[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Metroid-style level in Mario Maker

Reply to topic
LeshLush
PostPosted: Sep 13 2015 09:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:
LeshLush wrote:
I don't have the game yet, but I'd love to see your handiwork. Any chance we could get a video?

I could make one, but I'd rather you solve it on your own. Instead, here's the thumbnail of the start:

I'm hopefully picking this one up next weekend. I'll give it a shot then.
LordHuffnPuff
Title: Mahna Mahna
PostPosted: Sep 16 2015 05:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:
LeshLush wrote:
I don't have the game yet, but I'd love to see your handiwork. Any chance we could get a video?

I could make one, but I'd rather you solve it on your own. Instead, here's the thumbnail of the start:

So I cleared it, there wasn't much to actually "solve" - I'm not sure why most of the enemies were placed in this level because they didn't seem to serve either of the major purposes enemies should provide:

1) Danger
2) Intimidation

The springs especially SEEMED like a thing that would be dangerous to run into, but there was never a situation where my path actually crossed one or even got close to it, outside of the one right before the koopa in the piranha plant section (that koopa also was never a threat because of his movement pattern)

It was a fun level, but the challenge isn't really as high as you'd think from all the spikes. I'd tweak the enemy placement a bit so that the foes you encounter are a bit more impactful instead of just window-dressing.

____________҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡͡҉҉)___________
I am currently on an extended hiatus from the IRC chat room. If you need me, send a PM and I will get back to you as promptly as I am able.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Sep 16 2015 08:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i got this game. ill play your level. i havent created a single level myself but im enjoying all the random levels i get to play. some levels feel too short though, but thats expected, especially w/that stupid 500 second time limit. my girlfriends son is the one that spends time creating levels even if he has no clue what hes doing lol

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Sep 17 2015 03:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LordHuffnPuff wrote:
The-Excel wrote:
LeshLush wrote:

So I cleared it, there wasn't much to actually "solve" - I'm not sure why most of the enemies were placed in this level because they didn't seem to serve either of the major purposes enemies should provide:

1) Danger
2) Intimidation

The springs especially SEEMED like a thing that would be dangerous to run into, but there was never a situation where my path actually crossed one or even got close to it, outside of the one right before the koopa in the piranha plant section (that koopa also was never a threat because of his movement pattern)

It was a fun level, but the challenge isn't really as high as you'd think from all the spikes. I'd tweak the enemy placement a bit so that the foes you encounter are a bit more impactful instead of just window-dressing.

In my live testing, more people than you might think ran into trouble with the springs. They were originally the only obstacles before I added regular enemies to make something of a difficulty curve. You may also have noticed some of the springs were vertical -- I intended to use them more, but I realized they weren't actually a threat at all but I forgot to remove all of them.

The game is also surprisingly hype. One of the testers spent 30 minutes straight trying to beat an earlier version of it and everyone watching got so excited when he got to the end and groaned in unison when he died inches from the goal. They got equally excited when he finally made it.

Thanks for the feedback. I really enjoyed making this one and I'll keep them in mind for future levels.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Not Sure
Too Good At 2D Games
Too Good At 2D Games
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Sep 23 2015 07:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been playing this a bit and made a couple levels if anyone's interested in checking them out. I'd especially appreciate some stars since I'm getting close to the upload limit.

E8D7-0000-0033-D252 Dodging Endurance Challenge (This is a series of 3 projectile dodging challenges while you wait for platforms to move on to the next sections. Above average difficulty)
6BA7-0000-0039-699C Mr. Mushroom's Journey (Transport a mushroom to the end of the level. It's very similar to a level I made in my Super Mario Zero 2 hack but not quite as hard.)
75E3-0000-005D-250A Vine Trip (Pretty fun, not overly hard. Dodge enemies while climbing up and down a moving vine similar to Donkey Kong Country.)
6A4C-0000-0063-C564 Kaizo Time (Extremely hard Kaizo-inspired platforming. Don't play this unless you hate yourself.)

These last 2 are short challenges that I just threw together quickly.
E305-0000-0034-28B4 Bridge Builder (So far this is the only course I've received any stars in and that has been cleared people other than me.)
0049-0000-003A-2BE2 NSMBU Master Class (Kinda meh. It tests your ability to triple jump, wall jump, and mid-air spin.)

Have fun. I'll post more as I make more.

My Youtube Channel | 2012 NES Challenge standings
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Sep 25 2015 04:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

These levels should be to your liking.

6059-0000-005E-4FB5

2A8F-0000-0049-9485

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Not Sure
Too Good At 2D Games
Too Good At 2D Games
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Sep 25 2015 05:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I've seen some of the levels by Panga and they seem pretty ridiculous. I might have to try a few for myself.

Also, I made a new level:
AC5C-0000-006C-D3B9 Hang Time
Make it through the stage by staying up in the air jumping off enemies and projectiles. Fairly difficult auto-scroller.

Edit: 3 more
C813-0000-0073-D2F6 Toxic Toadstools
Avoid power-ups. It's not too hard, really.

50EE-0000-007D-2A1F ↑↓↑↓↑↓
Go up and down several vertical shafts as fast as possible. Hard.

135B-0000-0080-3EC6 Gauntlet of Fire
Survive a barrage of fire bullets. I actually put it some power-ups to make it easier.

My Youtube Channel | 2012 NES Challenge standings
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Oct 03 2015 06:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Played on my brother's Wii U, made a stage.

D333-0000-0089-6092

I'm about to try everyone who posted here, I'll give feedback when done.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Nov 05 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Only semi-on topic, but someone made a series of Mario Maker 2 stages to recreate Mega Man X, and set it to the proper music. Skip past the intro stage; it's fairly intriguing to see the creator use Mario mechanics to try capturing the Mega Man X vibe!
Reply to topic

Jump to: