"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Metroid-style level in Mario Maker

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Aug 26 2015 07:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Aug 27 2015 01:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This game may actually get me to finally buy a Wii U.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Aug 27 2015 01:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That was pretty cool. Too bad I sold my Wii U a few months ago.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Aug 27 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, that was freaking awesome. I haven't seen much from Mario Maker, and I just went from not interested to very interested over the course of one video. Thanks for posting, lordsathien.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Aug 29 2015 02:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

This looks like a game I'd have enjoyed 10 years ago.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Aug 29 2015 08:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
This looks like a game I'd have enjoyed 10 years ago.

What's changed in the last ten years?
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Aug 29 2015 04:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't mean it as a slight against gamers or anything, but I guess my video game tastes have devolved ever since marriage/kids/playing music/work/outdoor stuff/etc..

Playing a few levels in a platformer before bed or a quick puzzle/strategy game? Excellent. Spending hours grinding in an RPG or building a level in this type of game? Yeah, I have no time for that shit anymore. Sure I miss it, but I'd feel like video games are definitely a distant sixth or seventh in order of importance of stuff I've got going on now. I feel like I'm just wasting time when I play them now, and it's a sad realization of being a stupid old fart.

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Aug 29 2015 08:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GameStop ran a demo for it today. I finally got to try out the creation tools and they're as smooth as everyone says they are. But there's a hard limit on enemy count that I hit quickly which is fucking gay.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Aug 30 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:
GameStop ran a demo for it today. I finally got to try out the creation tools and they're as smooth as everyone says they are. But there's a hard limit on enemy count that I hit quickly which is fucking gay.

Once again Nintendo tries to suck the fun out of anything they do. What a bunch of faggots.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Aug 30 2015 01:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:
But there's a hard limit on enemy count that I hit quickly which is fucking gay.

As a fucking gay, I'd like to hit your hard limit. Wink Wink Wink

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Aug 30 2015 05:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@Woodzy This is a game I'm interested in /because/ I have kids. My son's eyes opened wide when I showed him an ad for this on the eShop. It's a game we can both enjoy and have fun making stuff together.

Maybe try to actually do something fun with your kid rather than mini-vanning her to dance practice or whatever other gay activities you have planned for her.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Aug 31 2015 01:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
@Woodzy This is a game I'm interested in /because/ I have kids. My son's eyes opened wide when I showed him an ad for this on the eShop. It's a game we can both enjoy and have fun making stuff together.

Maybe try to actually do something fun with your kid rather than mini-vanning her to dance practice or whatever other gay activities you have planned for her.

My kid played my Wii U for Mario Kart and nothing else and after she hadn't (and I hadn't) played it for fucking months I said fuck it and sold the thing. She has my NES, SNES, N64, her tablet and my PC to play the classics and dumb princess games and Minecraft whenever she wants. She's just flat out not that into games, especially as much as I was. She's an outdoorsy kid.

I doubt we're gonna be missing out some quality father/daughter bonding time because of this random Mario game.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Aug 31 2015 03:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Klimbatize wrote:

My kid played my Wii U for Mario Kart and nothing else and after she hadn't (and I hadn't) played it for fucking months I said fuck it and sold the thing. She has my NES, SNES, N64, her tablet and my PC to play the classics and dumb princess games and Minecraft whenever she wants. She's just flat out not that into games, especially as much as I was. She's an outdoorsy kid.

I doubt we're gonna be missing out some quality father/daughter bonding time because of this random Mario game.

You actually felt the need to defend yourself against an asshole saying you should play more video games with your kid? You suck.

Plus you broke the homophobic posting streak. You double suck.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Aug 31 2015 05:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
I didn't mean it as a slight against gamers or anything, but I guess my video game tastes have devolved ever since marriage/kids/playing music/work/outdoor stuff/etc..

Playing a few levels in a platformer before bed or a quick puzzle/strategy game? Excellent. Spending hours grinding in an RPG or building a level in this type of game? Yeah, I have no time for that shit anymore. Sure I miss it, but I'd feel like video games are definitely a distant sixth or seventh in order of importance of stuff I've got going on now. I feel like I'm just wasting time when I play them now, and it's a sad realization of being a stupid old fart.

I knew you didn't. I understand what you're talking about as well. I'm not married and don't have any kids, but this past year it was not uncommon for me to work a 60 hour week every now and then, and even outside of work, there's just way more life stuff going on now that I'm getting farther and farther into full-blown adulthood.

I go through seasons, though. Some months, I just don't game at all. Other months, it grabs hold of me, and I'm doing it for a couple hours every night after work. It's just tougher to tell when the mood is going to strike.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Aug 31 2015 05:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Even if you don't want to spend a ton of time making your own level, one thing I'm looking forward to is seeing the levels others make. Don't need hours to do that.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Aug 31 2015 05:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Truth. And aren't there a bunch of premade levels already on-disc? So it's like buying another New Super Mario Bros. game, that also has a level editor, and a bunch of free DLC made by fans.
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Sep 02 2015 08:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would definitely pick this up if I had a Wii U. Giving the player the ability to create their own stuff is great. I know I sank several hours in the TimeSplitters 2 and 3 mapmakers.

Not Sure, if you're reading this, I expect to see some good bullshit levels from you.

Also I think it's pretty genius that you can only upload levels that can actually be finished. Did LittleBigPlanet do something similar?
The Opponent
PostPosted: Sep 03 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:
The-Excel wrote:

Once again Nintendo tries to suck the fun out of anything they do. What a bunch of faggots.

All I wanted was to make a giant cube of Goomba stacks that the player has to shoot their way through but apparently that either too creative or not creative enough.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Sep 03 2015 04:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:
sidewaydriver wrote:
The-Excel wrote:

All I wanted was to make a giant cube of Goomba stacks that the player has to shoot their way through but apparently that either too creative or not creative enough.

Your original post seems to indicate that it was too homosexual.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Sep 03 2015 06:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
The-Excel wrote:
sidewaydriver wrote:
The-Excel wrote:

Your original post seems to indicate that it was too homosexual.

So you were trying to stack the Goombas into a giant penis?

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Sep 03 2015 08:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush
PostPosted: Sep 08 2015 08:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Is anybody buying this game this weekend? I'm gonna have to wait a month or two, but I'd love to hear Sydlexian thoughts about it.
The Opponent
PostPosted: Sep 13 2015 02:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm having way more fun with this than I thought I would. I finally put to use all the articles and books I've been reading about game design and come up with something that tested really well at MAGClassic. Search the ID E9B0-0000-002A-AFDE

LeshLush
PostPosted: Sep 13 2015 02:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have the game yet, but I'd love to see your handiwork. Any chance we could get a video?
The Opponent
PostPosted: Sep 13 2015 08:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
I don't have the game yet, but I'd love to see your handiwork. Any chance we could get a video?

I could make one, but I'd rather you solve it on your own. Instead, here's the thumbnail of the start:

Reply to topic

Jump to: