"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Snow Crash

Reply to topic
Rogue Hippo
Title: Lone Wolf Hippo
PostPosted: Apr 15 2015 01:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone here read it? I'm about halfway through and I'm REALLY enjoying it. The language and humor are very entertaining (catchy terms like "pooning bimbo boxes" which isn't nearly as dirty as you'd think). The world reminds me of Shadowrun in a lot of ways: corporations run everything, there's an online "metaverse", etc. I kept seeing it on 'Best Sci-Fi book' lists so I finally gave it a try and I highly recommend it. Here's a nice summary from amazon:

_Snow Crash_ is primarily about Hiro, a young man who delivers pizzas and collects information for the Central Intelligence Corporation (freelance), for a living. He lives in a storage unit with a cult-hero rockstar named Vitaly Chernobyl. He owns a futon, two awesome Japanese swords, and a laptop computer, where he stays "jacked in" to the "Metaverse" a lot of the time, where he is the world's greatest swordfighter.
Hiro witnesses a crime while interacting with others in the Metaverse. One of his friends is deliberately exposed to a dangerous block of text, which fries his brain (in the real world), and renders him a vegetable. Hiro and his friend Y.T. (15-year old skateboarding female) set off to find out why, and save the world in the process.
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Apr 15 2015 04:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I have read it and it is one of my favorite books. Most of the stuff Stephenson writes is very good.

Rogue Hippo wrote:
The language and humor are very entertaining (catchy terms like "pooning bimbo boxes" which isn't nearly as dirty as you'd think).

If I recall correctly that is the courier using a harpoon on a soccer mom's (basically) minivan.

I liked "Deliverator" myself.

Rogue Hippo
Title: Lone Wolf Hippo
PostPosted: Apr 16 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

You nailed it! I've been calling minivans "bimbo boxes" and no one knows what I'm talking about.
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Apr 16 2015 02:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like to think of my pizza delivery guys as badass sword-wielding "Deliverators", which is funny because where I live all of the pizza delivery guys are 5 foot tall Guatemalans.

Never accept business cards from motorcycle riding Native Americans!

Reply to topic

Jump to: