SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
HBO

Reply to topic
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Mar 15 2015 05:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Reallly, HBO is great and has proven to be a powerful force in media over and over again.

John Oliver Last Week Tonight being one of my favorites. It is the Daily Show/ Colbert Report uncensored and has made the news by reporting on the news more than once (primarily by pissing off a lot of the right people).

They have a miniseries called Jinx that started airing on Sunday after John Oliver. I didn't know anything about this guy Robert Durst, the topic of this show before seeing this but it was pretty apparent that this guy was going to be going to jail because of this documentary. Yesterday that is exactly what happened:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-hbo-statement-jinx-robert-durst-20150315-story.html

This is not the first time they have done something like this on HBO. They did the opposite with the West Memphis Three with the Paradise Lost documentaries. A complete abortion of the legal system and a modern day witch hunt that put three innocent teens in jail for two decades. Eventually set free because of this series.

Then there is Silicone Valley from Mike Judge. Funny is an understatement regarding this show.

View on YouTube

In need of a plot device they made the "Weissman score" an actual thing.

Quote:
Elon Musk, who was present at the premiere of the show in Redwood City, said:

None of those characters were software engineers. Software engineers are more helpful, thoughtful, and smarter. They're weird, but not in the same way. I was just having a meeting with my information security team, and they're great but they're pretty weird — one used to be a dude, one's super small, one's hyper-smart — that's actually what it is. [...] I really feel like Mike Judge has never been to Burning Man, which is Silicon Valley [...] If you haven't been, you just don't get it. You could take the craziest L.A. party and multiply it by a thousand, and it doesn't even get close to what's in Silicon Valley. The show didn't have any of that.

What the fuck? Pretty sure you're that guy that served out Godzillas that one time at Burning Man.
Regardless, having been to some pretty hardcore parties in my day, including Ibiza, I can't disagree Burning Man is nothing short of a paradigm shift.

View on YouTube
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Mar 17 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

i like the fact that hbo go is now available as a stand alone product considering i dont have cable.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Mar 17 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone else notice that the girl in the Burning Man video either had a massive orgasm or pissed herlself while falling off that bull? Now that is a party IMO...

9:38 mark.

Get yourself there. Anyone want to have some fun in the Thunderdome?
anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Mar 17 2015 01:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wish I had HBO, so much good stuff there. I just started watching The Jinx last night, almost couldn't stop watching but I had to get to sleep so I could get up and study for an exam. May watch the rest of it when I get back, although I don't like downloading HBO stuff, they seem to be more serious about stopping that kind of thing (can't confirm that, just the feeling I get from what others have told me).

I rented the first two Paradise Lost video's back in the day, I don't think I saw the most recent one but I can't remember as I have seen some newer hour-long television documentaries about them over the past couple years, they've started to blend together for me. I always found the case to be incredibly interesting.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Mar 17 2015 02:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

anorexorcist wrote:
I wish I had HBO, so much good stuff there. I just started watching The Jinx last night, almost couldn't stop watching but I had to get to sleep so I could get up and study for an exam. May watch the rest of it when I get back, although I don't like downloading HBO stuff, they seem to be more serious about stopping that kind of thing (can't confirm that, just the feeling I get from what others have told me).

I rented the first two Paradise Lost video's back in the day, I don't think I saw the most recent one but I can't remember as I have seen some newer hour-long television documentaries about them over the past couple years, they've started to blend together for me. I always found the case to be incredibly interesting.

Regarding HBO and their policy on pirating:

http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19788

Still willing to share my pass/user name.

As for the West Memphis Three:

View on YouTube

Honestly though watch Citizenfour...
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Mar 18 2015 09:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My roommate just switched our cable from Comcast to (cheaper) AT&T, paying extra for HBO. I'm going to enjoy catching John Oliver the night of release, rather than just the segments they post to youtube.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Mar 18 2015 09:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
My roommate just switched our cable from Comcast to (cheaper) AT&T, paying extra for HBO. I'm going to enjoy catching John Oliver the night of release, rather than just the segments they post to youtube.

Good stuff...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/10/john-olivers-greatest-takedowns-last-week-tonight_n_6110594.html

Yeah that is the Huffington Post, whatever. I still would find it nearly impossible to believe anyone would disagree with any of the previous arguments regardless of your political stance, sadly such people do exist.
GeorgeTaylor
Title: Miss Madness 99
PostPosted: Mar 19 2015 07:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Silicon Valley is def a great series.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 05:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

HBO just hit another home run with the following:

Going Clear: http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/10-things-we-learned-from-going-clear-20150330

View on YouTube

There are few things I know way too much about and consider myself obsessed with. North Korea, religion and video games (well maybe a few more). In the case of "religion", Scientologists need to not be a thing for several reasons. I'm not sure how aware people are of how sick and dangerous this cult disguised as a religion is. David Miscavige needs to burn in hell.

See "The Hole" at the very least:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hole_(Scientology)

The deeper you look into this cult the sicker it gets. I can provide many examples.
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 09:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a Scientologist and it offends me that you would post this slander and lie filled propaganda. Unless you're an actual member of the church, you have no idea what it's actually like and all the great things we do for our members and the community as a whole. You base your opinion on misinformation and deliberate falsehoods.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 03:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:
I'm a Scientologist and it offends me that you would post this slander and lie filled propaganda. Unless you're an actual member of the church, you have no idea what it's actually like and all the great things we do for our members and the community as a whole. You base your opinion on misinformation and deliberate falsehoods.

I guess this makes me a "suppressive person" then. Sorry that this material offends you as you are entitled to your opinion and your religious beliefs.

Guess what, so am I and in my opinion Sciencentology can go fuck itself.
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 03:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You seem very high strung. Would you like me to give you a stress test? I sense your thetan levels are through the roof. We can help.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 03:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:
You seem very high strung. Would you like me to give you a stress test? I sense your thetan levels are through the roof. We can help.

Nope, thanks anyways...

Not interested in pseudoscience involving alien overlords that fly around in UFOs that look exactly like Boeing 747s from the 1950's. Not to mention a cult that completely discounts modern medicine because poor LRH got his methodology rejected by those "evil" psychiatrists. Ironic, seems maybe he was a little bit upset that the real professionals rejected the bullshit theory of a shitty science fiction author. People die because of this.

"You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion."
L. Ron Hubbard (1948)

"I'd like to start a religion. That's where the money is!"
L. Ron Hubbard (1949)

Do you really want to keep going with this?
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 03:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Read Dianetics. It'll change your mind and open your eyes.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 03:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:
Read Dianetics. It'll change your mind and open your eyes.

I have...

At this point I find it hard to believe that you're not a Troll but I will play along...
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 03:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Someone offers you truth and spiritual tranquility and you write it off as trolling? I feel sorry for you, I don't think there's any hope for someone as hardened to love as you are. You're wounded spiritually and it causes you to lash out in fear.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 04:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:
Someone offers you truth and spiritual tranquility and you write it off as trolling? I feel sorry for you, I don't think there's any hope for someone as hardened to love as you are. You're wounded spiritually and it causes you to lash out in fear.

Well then if you are not trolling, firstly, fuck you as you do not know me. To call me "high strung", okay, that is fair I admit that I could easily be perceived this way due to my posts, but you do not know me in real life and calling me "hardened to love" and "wounded spiritually" makes me laugh.

To not derail this thread I am going to make a new post regarding Scientology and we can continue to argue there if you wish. It will offend you but it will also provide direct evidence of how Scientology actively intimidates its members (as well as critics outside of the church and previous members) through physical and mental abuse, torture, blackmail and many many more human rights violations. Also numerous other illegal activities (including breaking into the FBI in an attempt to hide evidence against them). Do no underestimate my ability to illustrate all of the above.

How "clear" are you and how much money have you had to pay to get to your current level?
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 04:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was just fucking with you. I hate Scientology too.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 04:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:
I was just fucking with you. I hate Scientology too.

If so good job, because that was what I initially expected this to be. However, this is exactly how Scientology responds to threats regarding the release of information about their practices.

P.S: Regardless of your disposition, wether it be trolling or the truth I must make it a point that I do not care what you think of me or my attempts at trying to contribute to this community. It is fine if you disagree with me, blatant trolling however does nothing besides perhaps incite a response from someone who actually has something to say.

"Meow!"
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 05:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nah, you're just being paranoid now. Besides, why should I care if you release your information? It's all lies anyway.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 05:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lol...

Done talking with you now. I'll wait until this topic might become relevant again to make another post.

As for being paranoid. Nope, this is truthfully how the church responds to threats of divulged inside information and criticism, it is not hard to do simple research on the methods they use to do so consistently. I'm not paranoid and could honestly not give a fuck. It is a topic that interests me and if it reaches just one poor 18 year old that gets sucked into this cult and gets sent into "Sea Org" it is worth it.

sidewaydriver wrote:
It's all lies anyway.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 05:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That documentary was legit awful. It painted some great people in a really bad light and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they were sued for slander.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 05:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
That documentary was legit awful. It painted some great people in a really bad light and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they were sued for slander.

Holy Shit, really? Unbelievable...

I'm sure they will be sued but for very different reasons.

Again, we disagree but what good people?
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 05:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm dead serious. It was Michael Moore levels of silly. It's just liberal Hollywood trying to paint another religion in a bad light for no reason other than to pat each other on the back.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 06 2015 05:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
I'm dead serious. It was Michael Moore levels of silly. It's just liberal Hollywood trying to paint another religion in a bad light for no reason other than to pat each other on the back.

Or maybe it was a book initially and not liberal Hollywood propaganda?

"Wright had written a profile of former Scientologist Paul Haggis for The New Yorker. Wright's book on Scientology, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief was published in January 2013. The book contains interviews from current and former Scientologists, and examines the history and leadership of the organization. In an interview for The New York Times, Wright disclosed that he has received "innumerable" letters threatening legal action from lawyers representing the church and celebrities who belong to it.Wright spoke to two hundred current and former Scientologists for the book. The Church published an official statement in its newsroom and a blog listing its rebuttals to Wright's claims."

Ironic as Hollywood and Scientology have a lot to do with each other...
Reply to topic

Jump to: