[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Warp Drive Engine Concept

Reply to topic
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jun 16 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.iflscience.com/space/nasa-reveals-latest-warp-drive-ship-designs

Quote:
If a spaceship could be designed in such a way that it created a warp bubble, then the space in front of the ship would be compressed and the space behind would expand. This would result in space-time moving around the object, repositioning the ship without it actually moving.
Read more at http://www.iflscience.com/space/nasa-reveals-latest-warp-drive-ship-designs#KcCbLf8rVDjXp32z.99

Objectively awesome and scary. I wonder if there would be any side effects from rapid distortions of space-time. I also recall an item from Futurama, when Cubert realizes how the Planet Express engine works... I imagine, like many such ideas on the show, this must have had its foot in current theory.

RIP Hacker.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Jun 16 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wish that guy had more behind it besides just drawings. I don't think there's anything in there that shows how they would practically bend space to make it work. Certainly a great idea, but still gotta wait until we have the calculations and technology to test it, which could be decades. So want ftl travel now, damn it! Fossil fuels are only practical to go to the moon and back, it seems.
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Jun 16 2014 08:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's honestly pretty cool. faster-than-light travel or no, I am excited to see what ground we can break in the next couple of decades.

So would you dudes willingly go to space if you had the opportunity? I think it would be too good to pass up - zero gravity would be a pretty remarkable experience - but I'd probably be paranoid that something would go wrong the entire trip.
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jun 16 2014 09:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would definitely go into space. If I had the money, I would have my own space program. I would even be willing to be sent on a one way mission with as much supplies as you can send me with.

I really hope the current tensions in the world with regards to the US, Russia and China lead to another cold war because that seems like it would be a good way to give space programs a boost, and then maybe we might get to go to the moon or even Mars in our lifetimes. I would love to have a place on Mars and send a message to a buddy on Earth or the moon telling him "GET YOUR ASS TO MARS!" in an Arnold Schwarzenegger accent.

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Jun 17 2014 08:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I can't embed this video, but Dave Chappelle has some good opinions about space.
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jun 19 2014 01:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Preng wrote:
So would you dudes willingly go to space if you had the opportunity? I think it would be too good to pass up - zero gravity would be a pretty remarkable experience - but I'd probably be paranoid that something would go wrong the entire trip.

Yes. I wouldn't be as worried about the hardware for the trip as much a personal mechanical failure. I think I'm relatively healthy, but I'm pretty sure I'm not in "space travelling" condition. If I were cleared by a medical doctor though, I would absolutely go into space. Hell, even they had to put me in some life-preserving incubator with a window I'd do it. Space Iron Lung.

RIP Hacker.

Reply to topic

Jump to: