"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
X-Files

Reply to topic
Rogue Hippo
Title: Lone Wolf Hippo
PostPosted: Jun 09 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Is anyone here familiar with a tv show called X-Files? It's kind of old but it's pretty good.

HAHA! Just kidding. I was trying to make you think I was a dum@$$ who had never heard of X-Files.

It's time for a good X-Files discussion! I watched the 1998 X-Files movie last night and it got me thinking about classifying the different types of X-Files episodes:

Black Ooze Episodes- This is the focus of the X-Files movie and the only cosistent plot throughout the tv show. It's the main storyline about aliens secretly colonizing Earth and government conspiracies to hide it from the public while Mulder tries to expose them and prove that aliens exist. MY THOUGHTS: For some reason, these are my least favorite episodes. I find that odd because I love X-Files and this was their primary storyline but, for some reason, I was always bummed out when an episode started with Krycek or something else that indicated it would be a black ooze episode. I think that's because I always knew that these episodes would always leave me hanging. I could sypathize with Mulder's frustration that nothing was ever resolved and there were never any answers.

Comedy Episodes- These are rare, random episodes that are funny and light-hearted in contrast to the more serious alien/government conspiracy episodes or monsters-killing-people episodes. There aren't many of these which is probably a good thing because they feel drastically different than the usual tense, serious episodes. MY THOUGHTS: Despite their different feel, I really enjoy the comedy episodes. They're usually well-written and just infrequent enough to be a nice change-of-pace. I can't think of many off hand but some of my favorites are the Lazarus Bowl episode where Garry Shandling plays a movie version of Fox Mulder; the episode where the pizza boy is a vampire and Mulder & Scully each give their versions of the story (hilarious); and the episode where Mulder switches bodies with a guy and Mulder ends up dealing with guy's wife and kids while the other guy tries to score with Scully.

Supernatural Episodes- This is pretty much every other episode of the X-Files not included in the categories listed above. They're usually single-episode stories with a lot of variety... monsters, aliens, ghosts, demons, curses, psychic powers, etc. They tend to have a similar pattern: Mulder hears about some odd phenomenon. He thinks there are supernatural causes while Scully insists there is a scientific explanation. They investigate and Mulder is usually (always?) right. They encounter Bigfoot (or whatever) and save the day and Scully admits that maybe Mulder was right. MY THOUGHTS: These are my absolute favorite type of episodes and they're what I think of when I think of X-Files. I like the variety. I like that there's closure at the end of each episode. I like the mystery, suspense and the fact that they could be dealing with literally anything. There are too many great episodes to mention them all but one of the most memorable was the episode with the little man who rolled around on a little cart with squeaky wheels and he'd enter people's bodies and kill them. The squeaky wheel sound scared the hell outta me when I was young.

Anyway, I wrote all that because I thought it was interesting that I love X-Files but not really the black ooze stuff which is sort of the main story of X-Files. What are your thoughts about it? What are some of your favorite episodes?
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Jun 09 2014 03:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I used to be a really big fan and i saw every episode, many of them multiple times. I enjoyed all types of episodes pretty much equal, Story-Episodes or comedic ones. There are some great story related episodes like "Gethsemani" for instance. Not all of them were great, like the Super-Soldier storyline wich seemed just a little bit cheesy to me.

My favorite comedic episode is "Bad Blood" wich you mentioned before. It's a somehow "Vampire hunting/Rashomon/Hilarious Scully and Mulder moments" kind of episode. Really good stuff. Mulder impersonates Shaft while being on drugs, wich pretty much sells it instantly.

The "Monster of the week"-Episodes are also overall pretty solid. There are just mindblowing ones like the one were the whole episode plays inside a fever dream caused by a fungus, can't remember the name right now.

The Dogett and Reyes seasions are also good and Mulder at least gets some cameo scenes now and then.[/SPOILER]

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jun 13 2014 07:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh HELL YES X-files!!!

God, I remember that fungus one so much. I nearly shit a brick when Scully came face to face with an alien. I didn't even question it--I was just blown away. And for once, the 'dream' reveal didn't feel like a cop-out.

My favorite episode was always "The Post-Modern Prometheus." Not only for all the awesome Frankenstein references, but that ending...oh god, that ending. It still makes me cry. Who doesn't wish, on occasion, they could just demand to see Life's Writer, and make everything all better?

The big draw for me, aside from the writing, was always the relationship between Mulder and Scully. I didn't mind them eventually getting together, but I do much prefer the platonic respect they shared for so long. It's such a beautiful thing, the way they grow to care about each other so, so deeply. I guess the reason I didn't mind them eventually sleeping together was that, in the end, it felt like a natural outgrowth of the commitment we had seen grow for, at that point, seven years.

As such, Dogget and Reys, while they were good, ended my love affair with the show. It was still good and well written, but I tuned in every week to watch Mulder and Scully. When that dynamic ended, the only reason I kept watching was to watch Scully hunt for him, and to hope that, in the end, they would find each other.

God damn, I am gonna watch the heck out of so much X-files tonight.

How did we feel about the end of the series and/or the most recent movie?

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Rogue Hippo
PostPosted: Jun 14 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just finished watching "The Post-Modern Prometheus" and "Bad Blood" and they were fricking fantastic! Both are comedic episodes and they are very well done. I can't think of a better way to kill 2 hours.

Like SoldierHawk said, the ending of "The Post-Modern Prometheus" was incredible. The speech by The Great Mutato was very emotional and I loved Mulder demanding a different ending. I also really enjoyed the mysterious Harry Potter-like music throughout the episode.

"Bad Blood" was just as good as I remembered. I forgot about the OCD vampires and the seeds! I also loved Mulder's reaction after Scully claimed he quoted Shaft... "I did NOT!" Classic!

Now that I think about it, I honestly can't remember how the series ended. I think it's time to re-watch the last few seasons. I also barely remember the most recent movie but I remember I wasn't thrilled about it. SPOILER ALERT: I think I wanted aliens or monsters and it was just a mad scientist but that's all I really remember. I'll have to re-watch that too.
SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jun 14 2014 01:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking of PMP, did you know that the actor who plays Mutato is the same guy who plays Jeffrey Spender? Very Happy I love that.

If you really wanna get blown away,watch the first three or four seasons again. Some are a bit rough, but the actors and music/lighting really carry it through even the weaker episodes. Hard to remember that it was pretty groundbreaking back in the day...now a lot of those sorts of music cues and visuals have become standard.

militarysignatures.com

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Jun 14 2014 07:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I remember liking the way they ended the series. It was a unusual take on a series ending but it worked. They used some of the same camera shots from the first episode i think, wich was a really nice idea.
[SPOILER:492eaf782c]They kept the ending somehow open. Well you knew that the invasion is going to come and no one can stop it but it still felt right because Scully and Mulder were reunited. If the second movie would have taken place after these events that would haven been pretty cool.[/SPOILER:492eaf782c]

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jun 16 2014 09:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
I remember liking the way they ended the series. It was a unusual take on a series ending but it worked. They used some of the same camera shots from the first episode i think, wich was a really nice idea.
[SPOILER:a799d1f832]They kept the ending somehow open. Well you knew that the invasion is going to come and no one can stop it but it still felt right because Scully and Mulder were reunited. If the second movie would have taken place after these events that would haven been pretty cool.[/SPOILER:a799d1f832]

I liked it too, actually. No matter what comes in the future, they are together, and will face it together. If nothing else, that makes everything all right.

I agree about the movie, though since it was a one-off, I think they made the right choice. If they ever get around to a movie series like David keeps talking about...

militarysignatures.com

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jun 16 2014 09:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
[SPOILER:ca1ca61577]They kept the ending somehow open. Well you knew that the invasion is going to come and no one can stop it but it still felt right because Scully and Mulder were reunited. If the second movie would have taken place after these events that would haven been pretty cool.[/SPOILER:ca1ca61577]

I liked it too, actually. No matter what comes in the future, they are together, and will face it together. If nothing else, that makes everything all right.

I agree about the movie, though since it was a one-off, I think they made the right choice. If they ever get around to a movie series like David keeps talking about...

militarysignatures.com

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jun 19 2014 01:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've noticed that they've been playing long strings of episodes on Chiller recently. I have no idea if they're in sequence, but I want to start catching some. I watched a few the other day and I like it. It (or at least the episodes I watched) have a slight Criminal Minds element to it, at least in Mulder's mental monologues.

EDIT: I guess it was a premiere marathon. Poop.

RIP Hacker.

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Jun 19 2014 01:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

My favorite three episodes are Humbug, Syzygy, and Soft Light. I was a huge X-Files fan back when the original run was on and I was in my early-mid teens.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jun 20 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
My favorite three episodes are Humbug, Syzygy, and Soft Light. I was a huge X-Files fan back when the original run was on and I was in my early-mid teens.

Oh Humbug. <3 One of the all-time greats.

I need to re-watch Syzygy. I haven't seen it since I was a kid, and I always hated that episode because of how mean Mulder and Scully were to each other. I have a feeling that, as an adult, I'll appreciate the whole thing much more now.

Also, for all of you X-philies in this thread, you NEED to play the X-files PS2 game "Resist or Serve." The voice acting from David and Gillian is a bit flat in some places, especially the beginning, but overall its a fucking AMAZING game. It's like *being* in an episode. The best part is, you play through it twice--once as Mulder, once as Scully. Love that damn game.

militarysignatures.com

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jun 21 2014 09:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Also, for all of you X-philies in this thread, you NEED to play the X-files PS2 game "Resist or Serve." The voice acting from David and Gillian is a bit flat in some places, especially the beginning, but overall its a fucking AMAZING game. It's like *being* in an episode. The best part is, you play through it twice--once as Mulder, once as Scully. Love that damn game.

Is that potential Hawk LP material I hear?

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jun 25 2014 05:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:

Is that potential Hawk LP material I hear?

Sadly no. I have no ability to capture PS2 games.

Suppose I could try to make an emulator work at some point though. So maybe.

militarysignatures.com

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jun 26 2014 02:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

That game is dog shit. Play the FMV game from a few years earlier. Much, much better and actually feels like an episode, played from a rookie FBI agent's perspective.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jun 26 2014 06:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
That game is dog shit. Play the FMV game from a few years earlier. Much, much better and actually feels like an episode, played from a rookie FBI agent's perspective.

It is SO not dogshit!

I do really enjoy the FMV game too though. I just wish there was more Mulder and Scully in it.

militarysignatures.com

Rogue Hippo
PostPosted: Jul 05 2014 02:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I rewatched Season 6 and I'm working through Season 7. Here are some quick highlights:

Drive- Excellent episode with Bryan Cranston. He kidnaps Mulder and makes him drive across the country so his head won't explode.

Hungry- This one features a teen who works at a fast food place and tries to fight his urges to eat brains. The actor does a great job and is very sympathetic. I really felt bad for him.

Dreamland I & II- I mentioned this one above. Mulder switches bodies with Morris Fletcher and it's hilarious. Lots of funny moments.

Arcadia- Mulder and Scully go under-cover as a married couple in a fancy planned neighborhood. There are some funny moments like Mulder saying they met at a UFO convention.

The Unnatural- It takes place in the past and it's about an alien disguised as a human so he can play baseball. Good humor and some touching moments. The ending with Mulder and Scully at the batting cages is great!

I also watched the 'Millenium' episode which was a tie-in the the 'Millenium' tv show starring Lance Henriksen. I never watched it and I'm wondering if anyone did and what they thought of it. I see it got decent reviews. Is it like X-Files and is it worth watching?
Sarge
Title: The Self-Titler
PostPosted: Jul 10 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't watched the series for a few years, but they're all awesome, as everybody knows.

I know everybody says it, but Bad Blood is by far the best episode. Paper Hearts and One Breath were winners for drama. The episodes that are sort of one-off like Triangle and Dreamland always stuck with me too.

Time to get started again, hell yeah!

Count_Akula
Title: Sir Galahad
PostPosted: Dec 19 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

I need to get back into this show. Where is the best place to see the series? Movie.4k.to? Idk.... I lose track of that shit. Also, who had the Windows 95 X-Files theme installed back in the day? I had it forever and it ruled so hard..........
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Dec 19 2014 09:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rogue Hippo wrote:
Is anyone here familiar with a tv show called X-Files? It's kind of old but it's pretty good.

HAHA! Just kidding. I was trying to make you think I was a dum@$$ who had never heard of X-Files.

AHAHAHAHA!!! You are one funny son of a bitch.
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Dec 20 2014 04:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've been watching a bunch of episodes on my new favorite channel El Rey, Robert Rodriguez' new network.

Old Kung Fu movies and X-Files is pretty much all they play. what's not to like?

"Monster of the Week" episodes are my favorite. I could really care less about the main conspiracy narrative.

Just picked up a Mulder Scullly a few weeks ago.

http://imgur.com/fC53yYW
Alowishus
PostPosted: Dec 26 2014 08:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Why the fuck have I not posted in this thread.

Yes X-Files is fucking awesome. I have the box set. I can't remember what season I got up to but it's close to the season when [SPOILER:b10e39c7ec]Duchovny quit the show[/SPOILER:b10e39c7ec] and he is awesome so I'm sort of delaying the inevitable cause he's my favorite character and I feel the rest of the show will be shit.
Reply to topic

Jump to: