"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
My thoughts on the state of the site.

Reply to topic
Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Feb 10 2013 02:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, let me preface with saying how much I love the people here, and how much this site (I remember I printed off “A Link to Love” at one point and had it in my backpack to read when I was bored at school) and how much the people involved have affected me. Because of the IRC, and the forumers I was able to get some of my habits in check, I’ve been introduced to many different games, movies, people, I actually put a lot of thanks towards this site for improving my grammar and writing abilites (I was a really horrible writer, I'm not a very good one now, but what abilities I do have I thank this community for), and I’ve received a lot of advice on varying situations. This whole place has played a significant part in my life, and I love it, and let me say I thank you all for it. I’d also like to take this opportunity to publicly apologize for how I acted for the first little while on the forums, and apologize a bit for some of the things I do now. I’m oblivious to certain things, and I’ve almost stopped checking the forums altogether. I’m sure I’ll get bitched out by a number of people in the IRC and probably a bit on the forums for posting this, but I feel like I need to say it.

Syd, we all know that this community is at the sole expense of your wallet, and as such we have no right to demand that you keep this site alive or continue to put out new content. However this community is dying and it has been for a long time. The number of people joining the forums has almost come to a halt. When I joined it was anywhere from a month to three between articles, and now it’subeen 8 months since your last one. Even your satirical posts with Haddox have stopped. I feel like there’s too much history within this site and the people here to just let it die like this. If you don’t want to keep taking care of the site, or if you can’t that’s completely fine. Nobody is going to hold it against you, we can take over if you’d like and allow us. I don’t think many people here who can afford it would hesitate to donate a bit of money to keep this site going, and I know for a fact many people here would be completely willing to provide content for it, and that’s all I ask. It may be selfish of me; it’s probably rude to ask that you open up the site to new content. You worked hard to get the site as popular as it was and to draw us all in, however it’s how I feel. As much as I’d hate to see a new community form and abandon this site, I’d be a hypocrite if I said I wouldn't be one of the people to move on. It’d pain me to see this site abandoned and die.

If this deviates too much from your vision for the site, or if you don’t want the site to evolve in such a manner, we’ll move on to a new frontier, whether it be a new IRC room or a small forum hosted on a server. We’ll treasure SydLexia.com in our memories and with our inside jokes. It’ll always have a special place in our hearts and I’m sure we’ll stick around until the day the server is taken down and the IRC room and archives remain the last remnants of the great site that is SydLexia.com.
This whole post might be a bit pathetic, and I may be too strongly attached to this site. But as I said, it’s played a huge part of my life and I don’t want to see it go so easily. We’ve got member’s that’re English majors, we have people who do wonderful “Let’s Play” videos, and hell we have our NES champion not_sure, who has plenty of Youtube videos that deserve more recognition than they currently get. There’s no shortage of user content available to help this site stay alive, and there is certainly no shortage of people willing to help.

This isn’t a “If you don’t start pumping out new articles we’re gonna say fuck you and leave” post, this is me begging you to let us help keep this site alive and going. I love this site and the members here. I may bitch about people, I may fight and argue with members, I may ignore the obvious and say stupid shit, but deep down I love this place. Please, let us help.

JohnnyBenz
Title: The nip killer
PostPosted: Feb 11 2013 04:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wtf? Syd, you might have your first stalker.
Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Feb 11 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

It wouldn't be the first, I think. Not really stalkerish though, just concerned.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Feb 11 2013 10:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd won't react to this anyways. He clearly doesn't give a fuck.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 11 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I give a fuck!

I'm sorry guys. I know I'm a failboat. Writing is hard though.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Feb 11 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

You can make a feature sections with my lists if you want. I will also try to be funnier and wittier with every list i will come up with.

it was the best of times

Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 11 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Everything would be fine if Kubo and Tebor were still around....and Rycona, DarkMaze, Spanky, Jeebus, Mr. Bomberman....and...shit, a lot of people have left as their lives have gotten busier.

I'd volunteer to contribute to writing, but I have no fucking time either. I barely have time to look for a better job, or even find time for poker. Between my job, the commute, sleep, my girlfriend, my family, my friends, keeping track of my bills, TV & netflix, there's not enough hours in the day. Man, I wish the earth rotated slower.
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Feb 11 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Relax...
LeshLush
PostPosted: Feb 11 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I absolutely do not want to be that guy who tries to pimp his writings out on the front page of the site, but if there is a legitimate interest and desire from the community for more articles, I would be willing to contribute.

EDIT: This would of course be contingent on the interest and desire of Syd himself as well.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Feb 11 2013 02:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

FNJ wrote:
quality articles take time (not that I know what quality is Bell). You have to have an idea worth writing about, you have to do the research, and finally you have to write the article. These things don't just grow on trees. You have to remember too, most sites like this do it as a hobby. Syd doesn't get payed for this, he does it because he enjoys it (I would imagine). Real life comes first. I'm sure everyone that writes for this site has a job and other commitments that are slightly more important than new articles.

everyone except Valdronus. Bell

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Feb 13 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Drew Linky wrote:
It wouldn't be the first, I think. Not really stalkerish though, just concerned.

Tell me about it. I'm watching Syd through his bedroom window right now.

This Is A Joke

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Feb 14 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was just talking to Bomberman the other day. We had him on our podcast. Did Jeebus leave? Maybe I shouldn't have talked Char out of opening up robotboombox forums. we could have scalped all y'all niggas, syd.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Feb 14 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

FNJ wrote:
I was just talking to Bomberman the other day. We had him on our podcast. Did Jeebus leave? Maybe I shouldn't have talked Char out of opening up robotboombox forums. we could have scalped all y'all niggas, syd.

Jeebus and Syd skipped town for Jeebus's Magic the Gathering website. Sad

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Feb 14 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's fine. Without a Sheriff and Deputy, the lawless will run this town.

Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Feb 14 2013 01:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You know, there's no reason this should all be on Syd. Any of us could write content. Granted, Syd doesn't have to put it up if it's fucking stupid or whatever, but I think there's something to be said for the idea of any of us throwing something out there.

"Spanish bombs, yot' quierro y finito
Yo te querda oh ma corazón
Oh ma corazón, oh ma corazón" - The Clash, Spanish Bombs

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Feb 14 2013 02:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think the fact that all the people bitching about content have never attempted to actually write something and send it to Syd, or posted it for people to read, says something.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Feb 14 2013 03:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:
You know, there's no reason this should all be on Syd. Any of us could write content. Granted, Syd doesn't have to put it up if it's fucking stupid or whatever, but I think there's something to be said for the idea of any of us throwing something out there.

you could throw it at robotboombox.com

Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Feb 14 2013 04:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
I think the fact that all the people bitching about content have never attempted to actually write something and send it to Syd, or posted it for people to read, says something.

It does. For record, I'm not going to write anything myself (Y'know, cause I'm not really funny) but I wasn't one of the people pining for new content. The community is what keeps me coming.

"Spanish bombs, yot' quierro y finito
Yo te querda oh ma corazón
Oh ma corazón, oh ma corazón" - The Clash, Spanish Bombs

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Feb 14 2013 05:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:
JoshWoodzy wrote:

It does. For record, I'm not going to write anything myself (Y'know, cause I'm not really funny) but I wasn't one of the people pining for new content. The community is what keeps me coming.

I also come primary for the community but if Syd started writing again, maybe some more people would show up around here.

it was the best of times

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Feb 14 2013 07:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:
JoshWoodzy wrote:

This; I'm fine with the lack of articles, I just wish Syd posted on the forums more.

Fernin
Title: Comic Author
PostPosted: Feb 14 2013 07:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:

People would only be able to put their own stuff up on the forums, Syd's made it well known through the years the many times this has been suggested that he'll never put up any writing on the main site that's not his, Vald's, or Jeebus'.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Feb 14 2013 08:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:

This; I'm fine with the lack of articles, I just wish Syd posted on the forums more.

Yeah, i also always enjoy Syds posts.

it was the best of times

Reply to topic

Jump to: