[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Gatecrash prerelease!

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 27 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone else do a Gatecrash prerelease event?

I did one at 6 PM last night and chose Orzhov. I went 4-1-1, opting to intentionally draw the last match after it was 1-1. We played out Game 3 for fun, and of course I drew my god hand.

Simic was the worst matchup for me. I got stomped by it Round 2, and ID'd against it Round 6.

I opened Ghost Council in my pool and Gideon and Borborygmos Enraged in my prize packs. Also opened Clan Defiance, Whispering Madness, Frontline Medic and Immortal Servitude. It was a good night.

My deck:

Plains x7
Swamp x8
Orzhov Guildgate x2
Ghost Council
Treasury Thrull
Merciless Eviction
Deathcult Rogue
Arrows of Justice
Prophetic Prism
Devour Flesh
Court Street Denizen
Grisly Spectacle
Balustrade Spy
Executioner's Swing x2
Smite
Basilica Guards x2
Basilica Screecher
Slate Street Ruffians
Vizkopa Confessor
Urbis Protector
Vizkopa Guildmage
Dutiful Thrull
Wight of Precinct Six
Syndicate Enforcer

So six Extort guys and six target removal spells, one board sweeper. Guildmage, Treasury Thrull, and Merciless Eviction are all bombs, and Ghost Council is arguably the best bomb in the format.

What I noticed is that the other guilds are all better when they draw the cards on curve, but Orzhov, due to extort is better when it draws offcurve. If your first plays are Turn 3 and Turn 4 Basilica Guards and then you start casting two drops on Turn 5, you just fucking smack the fuck out of them. I got four Extort triggers on the Wight one game. That was pretty retarded.

As much as I like Orzhov for sealed, I feel like it might be the worst colors for draft. When you can build a more focused deck, every other guild, especially Dimir and Gruul get WAY better.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
LeshLush
PostPosted: Jan 27 2013 03:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Played Simic, got repeatedly stomped by Gruul. It was not a fun night.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jan 27 2013 08:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Played orzhov despite getting a Stomping Grounds, Rumblebrute, and the 1 G/R G/R G/R elves among my rares.

I got a bye in the first of our 5 rounds, then went 2/0/0/2. Pulled 3 packs (Ogre Slumlord, the Simic ooze counterspell., and the battalion guy that gives indestructible and can sac to Mana Leak an X spell)

7 Swamps
8 Plains
1 Orzhov Guildgate

Thrull Parasite
Shadow Alley Denizen
Basilica Screecher
Wight of Precinct Six
Syndic of Tithes
2 Slate Street Ruffian
2 Basilica Guards
2 Kingpin's Pet
Nightveil Specter (my first two hits with this thing grabbed Islands)
Syndicate Enforcer
2 Vizkopa Confessor (one was foil)
Treasury Thrull (never got to play it)
Angelic Skirmisher (Twice I had this thing out when the Boros Guildmistress was in play, I started grinning when I realized it meant I could name first strike for their first swing and then deter them from a follow up with adding lifelink)
Luminate Primordial (in retrospect I don't think this was the best choice with all my extortion)

Skyblinder Staff
3 Smite ( I had to explain how to properly use it like 3 times, people kept thinking it was the blocker dies)
2 Purge the Profane
Guildscorn Ward
2 Devour Flesh
Prophetic Prism
Shattering Blow
Holy Mantle
Gift of Orzhova
Orzhov Keyrune

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

XemyrLeBeau
PostPosted: Apr 19 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't, but BUMP, who's going to Dragon's Maze? I want speculation on this from people who know what they're talking about.

OBJECTION!!!
-Currently obsessed with Phoenix Wright.

Reply to topic

Jump to: