[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Preferred Fighting Game Characters

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 17 2013 06:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hate the Alpha series. I prefer the flashier super moves of the Vs. series to the Alpha supers. The Alpha supers are LAME.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Jan 17 2013 06:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lame? Alpha 3 has the unblockable Mega Psycho Crusher that takes up the whole screen.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Jan 19 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In the raging battle of Ken vs Ryu I've got to say I prefer Ken.

When I was young and naive the now stereotypical anime loner searching for the meaning of life appealed to me, now Ryu is just kind of Emo Smile

Ken is the angry man. He's the one who doesn't get the girl. Girl meaning Chun Li, ignore that thing about him being married. Wink Ken's personality is something I liked better.

In my opinion, where they first appear in World Warrior, their stages show this personality difference too. Where does Ryu fight you? A dojo rooftop. It's a calm night and the music is not altogether forcing urgency. Ken fights you at the docks. A boat is constantly moving up and down in the background. His music shows A LOT more urgency. Plus he'll flip out and throw dragon punches like crazy.

From a game standpoint Ryu has had stronger fireballs and hurricane kicks. Ken had the dragon punch with all the range. Ken hit you more often, but much lighter. I could deal with losing the fireball and hurricane kick to Ryu because of all the range his dragon punch was given(plus he was on fire). The dragon punch was also mostly invincible then so it didn't matter, range won the debate for me. Now it feels about 50% invincible. Like they've become Sagat now. A kick in the side during the move might knock out out of it. I'm digressing...

To me they're still very much the same characters, even with how much they've changed over the years. The basic fundamentals of their movesets, so playstyles, don't change that greatly. The basics will always be there. I'll just win much faster with Ken Smile

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 09:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ghandi wrote:

When I was young and naive the now stereotypical anime loner searching for the meaning of life appealed to me, now Ryu is just kind of Emo Smile

Sorry, but what? Some kind of...Emo? In wich way is Ryu an Emo besides the fact that he tends to live alone (wich he does the maximize his focus on his training)?

it was the best of times

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
Ghandi wrote:

Sorry, but what? Some kind of...Emo? In wich way is Ryu an Emo besides the fact that he tends to live alone (wich he does the maximize his focus on his training)?

Ryu is Emo because he buys his Gi at Hot Topic and cuts himself.

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

No he doesn't. Actually he is the incarnation of the perfect warrior, aiming for perfection but always considering himself as imperfect.

it was the best of times

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ken isn't angry. If anything, he's easygoing. He's the guy who puts half as much effort into his training as Ryu and is still nearly as good. Which means if he worked as hard as Ryu, he could potentially be BETTER than him. But the time he spent away from training has allowed him to start a family.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 01:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is slightly unrelated, but I remember a kid two grades below me in high school had the name Ryu and his parents named him after the Street Fighter character, but everybody (including him) kept pronouncing his name "Rye-yoo". I didn't have the heart to tell him that his parents have been pronouncing his name wrong. Sad

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 05:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I say Rye-yoo. It sounds better, and I give zero fucks that it's wrong.
i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 06:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I pronounce it the japanese way. "Reeu". It just seems appropriate to me.

it was the best of times

Cameron
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 06:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I pronounce it the japanese way. "Reeu". It just seems appropriate to me.

Same here. I originally got my pronunciation of the name from the SF2 anime movie back when it came out in the mid 90s, and assumed that everyone else pronounced it that way.

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 06:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Has anybody noticed that both Ryus and Kens signature special move (Besides the Hadouken), the Sho-RYU-KEN, combines both their names?

it was the best of times

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 06:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Has anybody noticed that both Ryus and Kens signature special move (Besides the Hadouken), the Sho-RYU-KEN, combines both their names?

Yes, I noticed that the first time I ever played the game.

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 06:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh. I noticed it while reading this thread.. Just felt like pointing that out.

it was the best of times

Ghandi
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 07:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
He's the guy who puts half as much effort into his training as Ryu and is still nearly as good. Which means if he worked as hard as Ryu, he could potentially be BETTER than him. But the time he spent away from training has allowed him to start a family.

I agree with this. I still think he's angry Razz It works for him.

Ken was always the loose cannon to me. Ryu was the meditating monk by comparison.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 08:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@om*d wrote:

Yeah, I remember that being a bit of mindblower the first time I realized it while playing in the arcade.

That was in 1992.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 09:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

Same. Always known it's not correct, don't care. I blaze my own trail in life, gangstas. And Ree-yoo just sounds goofy. It just makes me picture some overweight Otaku correcting me, holding up his finger "Actually, *huff, pant, huff* it's REE-yoo, peasant!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@om*d wrote:

Ken means fist in Japan. I believe Ryu means either strong or dragon or something.
Cameron
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

Same. Always known it's not correct, don't care. I blaze my own trail in life, gangstas. And Ree-yoo just sounds goofy. It just makes me picture some overweight Otaku correcting me, holding up his finger "Actually, *huff, pant, huff* it's REE-yoo, peasant!"

The Rye-yoo I mentioned previously gave an already pregnant chick herpes, so it reminds me of that every time I hear someone say it. Sad

You know, now that I think about it, the games have been saying the names every time someone wins at least since SF2: The New Challengers, so I can't think of a valid reason why someone would be pronouncing it wrong at this point.

Ghandi
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
JoshWoodzy wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

You know, now that I think about it, the games have been saying the names every time someone wins at least since SF2: The New Challengers, so I can't think of a valid reason why someone would be pronouncing it wrong at this point.

Mortal Kombat got this right from the beginning.

Ka-BALL, KAY-no, Ray-den, etc. Tekken followed suit, which helped since they have names that are distinctly Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and so in their games.

It really the little things that make a good game great. I can't think of names that would have been hard to pronounce in World Warrior or New Challengers though. Vega? Ryu, sure. Blanka? Sagat?

Sagat's one I hear pronounced differently everywhere.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
JoshWoodzy wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

The Rye-yoo I mentioned previously gave an already pregnant chick herpes, so it reminds me of that every time I hear someone say it. Sad

Because I saw the name before I heard anyone say it, obviously. I said it like Rye-yoo first, too cantankerous to change. Other one just sounds goofy to me. Plain and simple.

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Jan 22 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

The last several years, I've been practicing proper Japanese pronunciation every chance I get, most often during the inevitable appearances of such names in a movie credits sequence. It's second nature at this point.
Cameron
PostPosted: Jan 22 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Cameron wrote:
JoshWoodzy wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

Because I saw the name before I heard anyone say it, obviously. I said it like Rye-yoo first, too cantankerous to change. Other one just sounds goofy to me. Plain and simple.

But but but! Ryu and Ken have been yelling "shoryuken" since the very first SF2, and they most distinctly say "sho-ree-yoo-ken", not "sho-rye-yoo-ken". Excuses! Razz

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 22 2013 02:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

fuck all that. its RYE-YOU.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jan 22 2013 02:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

I pronounce it Chun "Lie".

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Reply to topic

Jump to: