[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Avacyn Restored prerelease!

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Apr 28 2012 06:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

So who went?

The store had an interesting occurence. I went to go grab basic lands for my deck and I saw that only two Plains out of quite a large stack remained. A LOT of people were playing white. Fortunately they had several land packs in store.

My Deck:

Cathedral Sanctifier
Voice of the Provinces
2x Pathbreaker Wurm
Midvast Protector
Farbog Explorer
Somberwald Sage
Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Goldnight Commander
Devout Chaplain
Goldnight Redeemer
Wandering Wolf
Nearheath Pilgrim
Seraph of Dawn

2x Natural End
Commander's Authority
Joint Assault
Divine Deflection
2x Grounded
Bladed Bracers
Builder's Blessing
Righteous Blow
Sheltering Word
Angelic Armaments
Scroll of Avacyn
Defang

2x Seraph Sanctuary

Match 1: 1 -0 (took 36 minutes, we didn't even bother setting up for the second round)
Match 2: Mana Screwed the first round, came back to win on the second with Avacyn, third round took too long so it was a draw.
Match 3: I lost both matches, though I did topdeck a Natural End the turn after my opponent played Spear of Avacyn. He played mostly green with some annoying red here and there.
Match 4: Caused a scoop with Avacyn on round 1, lost on round 2, stalled to draw on round 3 with my Avacyn freshly played.
Match 5: 2-0 against RBW (he had Griselbrand and his black minion that draws off creature card deaths in hand).

I went 7th out of the top 12 and came away with 3 packs, even grabbing Kamiyo, the new Moonfolk planeswalker.
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Apr 28 2012 01:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My roommate and I went to a midnight one at a crappy store near us since our plans of going to an actual one further away failed. We bailed after getting our cards basically because the place was filled so many disgusting, horrible, walking stereotype nerds we couldn't take it. When we sat down for construction, the kid across the table from my roommate sat down, unrolled his giant play mat (during CONSTRUCTION) and then belched an extremely loud, obnoxious, foul, Italian sub belch and blew it quite heartily across the table. He then leapt up and screamed to the entire store that if anyone was planning on grabbing their packs and hopping a plane to Hawaii to sell them, tell him now! And also, he will be trading for any foil mythics at the end of the pre-release!

It seemed like everyone around us was opening money, but we got crap. All I got was Hound of Griselbrand, Stolen Goods, Demonlord of Ashmouth, Rite of Ruin, Wild Defiance, Ulvenwald Tracker and a foil Joint Assault.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Rogue Hippo
Title: Lone Wolf Hippo
PostPosted: Apr 28 2012 04:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I went without realizing the local mtg store was doing a 2-headed giant tournament instead of a normal sealed tournament. I got paired with some random guy but we did alright. We finished 6th out of 24 teams and won some packs.

Terminus and Zealous Conscripts were the only good rares we pulled. I'd have to say our MVP card was Blessings of Nature. We had a lot of landwalk/intimidate/flying creatures and if you can drop Blessings of Nature for it's miracle cost on turn 3 it's pretty devastating.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Apr 29 2012 04:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Looking over the rest of my cards, I didn't realize I'd actually pulled TWO Mythics out of my 6 packs. One was Avacyn, the other was Descent into Madness, my other rares were Devastation Tide, Dread Slaver, and . Out of the 3 packs I won, I wound up getting: Tamiyo, the Moon Sage; Arcane Melee and Ulvenwald Tracker for my rares.

I also racked up a full 8 achievements, but the Helvault was broken right before I could tell the overseer. We had around 40 something people show up; I took the R/W promo angel from the group and she should be fun for Commander.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 29 2012 06:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't go to a Helvault event, but I did go to a prerelease. I went 3-1, and got a foil Vexing Devil in my prize packs.

My deck was:

Gisela x1
Malignus x1
Archwing Dragon x1
Divine Deflection x1
Lightning Mauler x2
Kessig Malcontents x1
Stonewright x1
Seraph of Dawn x1
Defang x2
Thunderbolt x1
Emancipation Angel x1
Riot Ringleader x1
Heirs of Stromkirk x1
Havengul Vampire x1
Pillar of Flame x2
Spectral Gateguard x1
Fervent Cathar x1
Leap of Faith x1
Scalding Devil x1
Righteous Blow x1
Mountain x9
Plains x8

It was a 4-0 deck, but I didn't take a mull Game 3 of Round 1, and I paid for it dearly.

Heirs of Stromkirk is a fucking BOMB in limited and Lightning Mauler seems constructed playable. I think at least 4 people at the event had Divine Deflection.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Rogue Hippo
Title: Lone Wolf Hippo
PostPosted: Apr 29 2012 06:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Heirs of Stromkirk is a fucking BOMB in limited

Agreed. I had 3 of them and they were awesome!

My team won 2 games thanks to Heirs of Stromkirk with Blessings of Nature. In both games, our opponents had much better creatures but we just chump blocked and hit back for 7, 8, 9 and 10 damage because they couldn't block the Heirs. I haven't looked at the entire set but it seemed like there wasn't any removal that could deal with a 9/9 creature.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 30 2012 03:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There is some. Barter In Blood (conditional), Bone Splinter, and Defang. And some bounce effects. There's probably a wrath too.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: May 01 2012 01:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Necrobite gives a creature deathtouch and a regeneration shield.
Grave Exchange is a Raise Dead combined with a Diabolic Edict...for 6 at sorcery speed.
Appetite for Brains could work; the opponent shows their hand and you can exile a card with CMC 4+.
Human Frailty could work if they're a Human.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Reply to topic

Jump to: