[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Whiny people complain about DC

Reply to topic
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Aug 02 2011 07:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

http://io9.com/5826557/how-batgirl-took-on-dc-comics-the-anatomy-of-a-pr-crisis

For the record, I was THERE at that panel, and there was a freaking reason we booed this idiot: because after making her initial point and getting an answer (which, as is noted, everyone, including the panelists, approved of), she would NOT shut up, and wouldn't let other people have a turn to talk. It was irritating as hell, and no one I was sitting near blamed the panelists for getting tired of it either.

Now, does this gal have a point? Yeah, maybe. Should it be the public relations shitstorm that it turned into? Hell no.

Here's an idea, lady: how about you encourage DC to just TELL SOME GOOD GODAMN STORIES and stop worrying so much about the gender of the hero (or even worse) the gender of the person writing it? A good story is a good story and should be told. Are women underrepresented in comics, both as heroes and creators? Sure. But I care about good stories a lot more than I care about demographic percentiles. And I sure as HELL don't want you sticking your irritating nose into what had until then been an excellent and entertaining panel.

ARG! All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

/rant

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Aug 02 2011 08:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

well said, SoldierHawk

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Mandrake42
Title: Gonzo journalist
PostPosted: Aug 02 2011 09:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@username: What the hell is that film?
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Aug 02 2011 09:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i dont think its a film. i think its some home video of a street performer in hollywood fighting a tourist or something.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Aug 02 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You're kidding me, right? I don't understand how demographic percentiles are still such a large issue. Your argument towards "appreciate a good story and shut up" is something I agree with so strongly I almost cheered at my laptop while reading it.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Aug 02 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
i dont think its a film. i think its some home video of a street performer in hollywood fighting a tourist or something.

He's referring to the quote in your sig.

Mandrake, it's from The Adventures of Klimbatize Berblatz Across the 8th Dimension.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Aug 03 2011 01:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, way to put some spin on your article. I'd have figured that as a Stephanie fan yourself, you would've chucked a nearby fanboy's batarang at her head; either that or find the cosplayer who tried to clear a functional AR-15 past security.

Also, this article is the first time I've ever seen "bepenised" or "omerta'" in text.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

AtmanRyu
Title: The Wandering Dragon
PostPosted: Aug 03 2011 01:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

First of all, that rant of hers sounded awfully familiar; almost as if it came out from a cartoon...

OH WAIT IT DID (3:00):

Second, there ARE women in the comic industry, including writers and illustrators. Granted, the number's not mind boggling huge, but it's definitively increasing, considering what I saw hands-on at SCAD.

Third, good stories aren't defined by the gender of the writer, but rather by the talent of said writer.

Fourth, have this gal ever occurred to look elsewhere other than mainstream? If you were to look at foreign comics or the indie movement, you'd be amazed what would you find.

And finally, yes, she's a dumb-ass by thinking she stroke a killing blow to DC's ego.
SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Aug 03 2011 02:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yep. The real kerfluffle here is that, with the reboot and all the hiring and firing that went on as a result, the percentage of female writers employed by DC took quite a big nosedive. Which is not ideal, but then a shitload of men got fired or moved too.

You know the absolute worst part? In a PR panic, DC is gonna go hire a bunch of stupid people with boobs who can't write, just to shut people up. Their comics are going to suck, and I'm going to have to read them, and it's going to piss me off.

GOD I hate people like her. No, wait. I hate people who lionize people like her and try to use her as some kind of retarded figurehead or rallying point. GOD.

THIS IS WHY WOMEN CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS YOU *VERY UNLADYLIKE EXPLETIVE*

militarysignatures.com

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Aug 03 2011 03:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Yep. The real kerfluffle here is that, with the reboot and all the hiring and firing that went on as a result, the percentage of female writers employed by DC took quite a big nosedive. Which is not ideal, but then a shitload of men got fired or moved too.

You know the absolute worst part? In a PR panic, DC is gonna go hire a bunch of stupid people with boobs who can't write, just to shut people up. Their comics are going to suck, and I'm going to have to read them, and it's going to piss me off.

GOD I hate people like her. No, wait. I hate people who lionize people like her and try to use her as some kind of retarded figurehead or rallying point. GOD.

I can't seem to find any video of her on youtube, but one of the castmates from the 5th season of The Real World, Sarah Becker, was an artist for Wildstorm.
Here's some of her work: http://www.comicvine.com/sarah-becker/26-54612/issues-cover/

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Aug 03 2011 03:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

SH, I just trolled her on Twitter using your quote.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Aug 03 2011 04:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

The hell with those whiny people!

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Aug 03 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mandrake42 wrote:
@username: What the hell is that film?

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Aug 03 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

lol

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Aug 03 2011 03:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:

It's unlikely they're going to hire a bunch of women to respond to this. As they answered, "We hire the best writers and artists available." This shows a commitment to hiring people worth a damn rather than filling quotas.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Aug 03 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll let her helm my super hero...

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Mandrake42
Title: Gonzo journalist
PostPosted: Aug 03 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@atomjacked : Thanks for the link Smile
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Aug 03 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mandrake42 wrote:
@atomjacked : Thanks for the link Smile

You are welcome and thanks for the laugh at seeing the @ symbol in front of my name again, I do miss it.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Aug 04 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Aug 04 2011 01:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Is Dan Didio really like that?

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

AtmanRyu
Title: The Wandering Dragon
PostPosted: Aug 04 2011 04:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, he's kinda obnoxious towards his (whining) fans, but he's not THAT obnoxious...

Also, read the author's comment in the issue, and I'm not quite sure he saw the whole picture, since he saw the whole thing as positive; a "step forwards" in fact.

Frankly, I agree on what SH said before, stating this is more of a "one step forward and two steps back" situation, because instead of looking forward to long term changes in the company that should benefit the talent pool, instead they'll rush over for quick fixer-uppers that could backfire in the long run just because one fan felt she had to rub her feminism into a somewhat irrelevant issue, i.e. "Screw character and plot, we need MOAR women!!1!!"
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Aug 09 2011 07:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think that it's hilarious people complain about DC when Marvel is just as, if not worse, than them in that respect. Gail Simone alone would count for about a half dozen of the female writers/artists/inkers/letterers/editors or what have you at Marvel. If they could get over worshipping Bendis (who, in my opinion, is absolutely the worst creative type Marvel has), maybe they could find better.

Or, you know, we could stop worrying about gender altogether and get Alan Moore back with DC for more false-snake-god-worshipping hijinks. Seriously, the man might be from another dimension, but he can write a f'ing comic/gn.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Aug 10 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
Or, you know, we could stop worrying about gender altogether and get Alan Moore back with DC for more false-snake-god-worshipping hijinks. Seriously, the man might be from another dimension, but he can write a f'ing comic/gn.

THIS. And Neil Gaiman too please!

The only reason this was particularly directed at DC was the big changeover that's going there that resulted in a lot of people (women included) losing their jobs. Both companies have dealt with this sort of thing before, it's just never blown up quite this big, because there hasn't been an idiot in a Batgirl suit bitching about it in the middle of my Comic-Con panel before. Evil

militarysignatures.com

King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Aug 10 2011 02:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So whereas I can agree that it would be great for all comic companies (DC, Marvel, Dark Horse etc.) to have more female writers / artists and heroes, I want to know how many QUALITY female artists and writers have or do attempt to break into the comics industry (not saying there aren't many quality women who do either or both, but questioning the amount that have had or do have interest in working in the comics industry). Also, while I believe that more female readers exist today then before for comics, given the demographic of who BUYS more comics (both age and gender) from a business prospective does it not make more sense to cater toward the people that are directly and predominantly supporting your bottom line? An example of this for me is in sports, does female MMA exist, yes, do the majority of MMA fans both men and women have anywhere near the interest in that as they do men fighting in MMA, no, thus with a lack of demand, and quality fighters it is marginalized due to business. Personally I agree I want to see more quality writers and artists, either gender, at the helm across the comics industry. Now, if a legitimately qualified, talented female writer or artist is denied at DC, Marvel, or whatever, then ok that's a problem. Also, as many artists in music, clothing, comics, video games etc. have done, if you aren't seeing in the industry something that represents you, then fight your way into the industry and create your own, if it is quality, and you fight hard enough, then usually, you can get what you want then

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Aug 10 2011 02:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

King wrote:
So whereas I can agree that it would be great for all comic companies (DC, Marvel, Dark Horse etc.) to have more female writers / artists and heroes, I want to know how many QUALITY female artists and writers have or do attempt to break into the comics industry (not saying there aren't many quality women who do either or both, but questioning the amount that have had or do have interest in working in the comics industry).

Also, while I believe that more female readers exist today then before for comics, given the demographic of who BUYS more comics (both age and gender) from a business prospective does it not make more sense to cater toward the people that are directly and predominantly supporting your bottom line? An example of this for me is in sports, does female MMA exist, yes, do the majority of MMA fans both men and women have anywhere near the interest in that as they do men fighting in MMA, no, thus with a lack of demand, and quality fighters it is marginalized due to business.

Personally I agree I want to see more quality writers and artists, either gender, at the helm across the comics industry. Now, if a legitimately qualified, talented female writer or artist is denied at DC, Marvel, or whatever, then ok that's a problem. Also, as many artists in music, clothing, comics, video games etc. have done, if you aren't seeing in the industry something that represents you, then fight your way into the industry and create your own, if it is quality, and you fight hard enough, then usually, you can get what you want then

Fixed the wall of text.

Reply to topic

Jump to: