SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
So I traded my D&D Ver. 3.5 books for Magic cards...

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jul 15 2010 04:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Simic (G/U), Dimir (B/U), and Orzhov (B/W) were my 3 favorite guilds in Ravnica block.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jul 15 2010 04:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
bleah, i meant diabolic tutor. the two are pretty similar in what they do and i got muxed up. i still get a hankering to whip out my sol ring deck where i could have a sengir vampire out on turn 3.

You can do that with a single Dark Ritual :-p

lavalarva wrote:
I don't know much about MtG, so I'll ask about the basics...

What mana colors work well together. I know about white/green and black/red but not really any others.

Are there viable 3 color combinations?

Usa touched on this already, but any color works with any color, to varying degrees and for various archetypes. Also, as said, allied colors work better because there are more red and green cards than red and blue, for example. Things change dramatically over time and somewhat with each set, but some examples of what works best for 2 color pairs:
Allies:
White/Blue - Control
Blue/Black - Combo and Control
Black/Red - Suicide aggro
Red/Green - Aggro and Midrange
Green/White - Midrange

Enemies:
White/Black - Control
Black/Green - Rock
Blue/Red - Counterburn and combo
Red/White - Aggro
Green/Blue - Nothing (unless you count mono-blue control splashing Tarmogoyf)

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jul 15 2010 04:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:

I don't know what kind of deck style green/blue lends itself to, but there are some craaaaaaaaaaaazy UG cards. It seems to me the general theme is "draw cards", which can work. Plus, Simic is fun.

And Voidslime.
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Jul 15 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
aeonic wrote:
bleah, i meant diabolic tutor. the two are pretty similar in what they do and i got muxed up. i still get a hankering to whip out my sol ring deck where i could have a sengir vampire out on turn 3.

yeah but then you dont have a sol ring on turn 2! luckiest hand I ever got was two swamps, a sol ring, a dark ritual, two unholy strengths and a terror. my opponent never even had a chance

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jul 15 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Dr. Jeebus wrote:

I don't know what kind of deck style green/blue lends itself to, but there are some craaaaaaaaaaaazy UG cards. It seems to me the general theme is "draw cards", which can work. Plus, Simic is fun.

And Voidslime.

There are like 3 good UG cards: Voidslime, Mystic Snake, and Simic Sky Swallower. UG WANTS to be control, it's just not any good at it.

aeonic wrote:
Dr. Jeebus wrote:
aeonic wrote:

yeah but then you dont have a sol ring on turn 2! luckiest hand I ever got was two swamps, a sol ring, a dark ritual, two unholy strengths and a terror. my opponent never even had a chance

Your luckiest hand ever didn't have a way to win, and your opponent had a chance if he had a black or artifact creature.

UsaSatsui wrote:

aeonic
PostPosted: Jul 15 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

from what i recall he was running mono red and i dropped both unholies on the sengir the next turn and took a whack. i pulled out drain life on turn five and put the kibosh on him and this was a guy that everyone was terrified of in a single elim tourney back when i was part of the duelists convocation. is that thing even still around?

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 15 2010 02:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to have some fun playing magic, I'll be more than happy to play some people. Of any playing level, throw me a PM of what time, and whether it's over IRC or OCTGN, and i'll see if can make that time : ).

-Snow

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jul 15 2010 04:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
There are like 3 good UG cards: Voidslime, Mystic Snake, and Simic Sky Swallower. UG WANTS to be control, it's just not any good at it.

I would add Winged Coatl and Snake Form to that list. I have used both to wonderful surprise effects. Especially Snake Form. I don't know how many "game ending" creatures I have sapped with that spell and a timmy.
aeonic
PostPosted: Jul 15 2010 04:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

actually putting together a u/g deck today. manaplasm seems to work well too especially if youre in need of a good ground blocker when youre countering with lay bare or the like. just my take. got to get moar cards for moar power

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Jul 15 2010 04:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Revised quite heavily after advise from pretty much everyone, mostly Fernin and Jeebus.

Low-Tier Creatures:

Llanowar Elves x3
Deadly Recluse
Wild Nacati x3
Mire Boa
River Boa
Goblin Mountaineer
Toxic Iguanar x2

Higher-Tier Creatures:

Ant Queen
Shivan Dragon
Flameblast Dragon
Rorix Bladewing
Acidic Slime
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava

Artifacts:

Neurok Hoversail
Heartwood Shard
Oxidda Golem

Enchantments, Instants, and Sorceries:

Overrun
Howl of the Night Pack
Harmonize
Naturalize
Nature's Spiral
Might of Oaks
Fog
Fireball
Lightning Bolt
Branching Bolt
Trumpet Blast
Incite War
Molten Rain

Lands:

Mountain x12
Forest x13
Keldon Megaliths

That should be either 60 or 61 cards, but either way much thanks to all input. I believe it's ready after some practice starting draws.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 15 2010 06:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Revised quite heavily after advise from pretty much everyone, mostly Fernin and Jeebus.

*Cries* at least you took my advice of listening to others : ).

I must say, Deck looks much better, don't recognize many of the cards, but the Nacatyl is a great card, even in your dual land deck, I'm guessing with your current card choices it's was one of the best to put in. The Llanowar elves also.. it's like playing 2 lands in one turn with them around. Boa's are also very sexy.

You have to work with your card pool, but here are some cards that really jumped out at me to replace if possible: Goblin Mountaineer (if you had more equip cards or enchantments might keep him), Acidic Slime (way to much mana for what it does), Heartwood (this is good vs indestructible but honestly if you kill the creature, you can do damage later, up to you though), and maybe drop one or two of your other high mana cost cards. and replace them with 4 or less mana costing cards. You may want to up the total # of creatures as well.

It's a good start have fun and play with it.
You'll rarely see in a deck just one of card, you'll likely see at least 2 if not 4. So if there is a card you're finding useful look at E-bay, Craigslist, or here even for getting more copies.

TARDISman
Title: Time Traveller
PostPosted: Jul 15 2010 07:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

...My head may explode from how horribly that post was worded

RIP Hacker 1993-2014
"Paint me like one of your French Squids" -My buddy on Relm vs Ultros.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 15 2010 07:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
My head may explode from how horribly that post was worded

Didn't know my posts gave orgasms!

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jul 15 2010 07:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jul 15 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

#random note: I forgot to mention Lorescale Coatl as an amazing U/G card. Moving on..

Definitely an improvement! Good for you. I will say not to bother with Keldon Megaliths though. It's a good card for a really, really fast deck, but you have too many high mana spells to ever empty your hand, and even if you do you have better things to do with that mana, like Ant Queen or Flameblast Dragon.

Mana bases are the hardest thing to master, but I'm gonna say you went and added TOO many lands. Better too many than too few, but for your mana curve I'd say you can safely cut it down to 24 land and be perfectly fine, especially with the Llanowar Elves.

And finally, proving one again that he has NO idea what the fuck he's talking about, Jon Snow is dead wrong about just everything he said. Wild Nacatl is a great creature, but NOT for your deck. Since you have no plains, he can only ever be a 2/2. Pick up some Kird Apes, if there aren't any in that collection. They should be dirt cheap, and are strictly better than the Nacatl for your deck. Also, do NOT remove Acidic Slime. That card is great. Like sees play in tier 1 decks great. Sure it's on the sideboard instead of the main deck, but a card has to be REALLY good to see any high level tournament play.

Most importantly, however: have you had a chance to play at all with this revised deck yet? If so, how did it go? Did you lose, did you win, if you won do you think they were throwing the game to build your confidence, what cards worked, what cards were you unsure of, and most important of anything, did you have fun?

UsaSatsui wrote:

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 16 2010 02:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Wild Nacatl is a great creature, but NOT for your deck. Since you have no plains, he can only ever be a 2/2.

Please understand that he has a LIMITED CARD pool, and i point that out... so likely a 2/2 for one which it will probably be.. is good out of his choices. I think you're wrong here jeebus.

On the acidic slime i was thinking about telling you to SB it, sorry if i under estimated it though, i didn't read the or land. option it's more versatile than I thought, I could agree with a SB, since it is useful in case you need extra removal in one of those areas, but until you play an opponent hard to tell if you're going to actually need it.

Though with mana acceleration and that acidic slime card destroying an opponents land early can be devastating. With your current deck I personally wouldn't MB, but if Jeebus is telling you to keep it, I guess keep it. I personally would take it out though, even after noticing it can destroy a land.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jul 16 2010 02:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
Quote:
Wild Nacatl is a great creature, but NOT for your deck. Since you have no plains, he can only ever be a 2/2.

stuff

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

TARDISman
PostPosted: Jul 16 2010 02:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
Quote:

Please understand that he has a LIMITED CARD pool, and i point that out... so likely a 2/2 for one which it will probably be.. is good out of his choices. I think you're wrong here jeebus.

He really isn't, having only a 2/2 in a slot that could be occupied by a 2/3 is a somewhat poor choice.

RIP Hacker 1993-2014

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 16 2010 02:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

I shouldn't have to avoid giving my opinion, right or wrong. And on top of that I am encouraging deferring to Jeebus, even though i think we're giving the same advice most of the time (I'm even saying it first).

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jul 16 2010 04:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Your entire last post was wrong advice, not the same advice. And your opinion IS wrong, so you shouldn't give it as it won't help him learn anything.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Jul 16 2010 06:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
I shouldn't have to avoid giving my opinion, right or wrong.

You shouldn't give it if it's been made clear numerous times that nobody wants to hear it. I don't really know you, and don't yet have an issue with you, but it seems like everyone else on this forum and chat room either doesn't want to hear your innane ramblings about Magic anymore at best, or at worst wants you to die in a chemical fire.
JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 16 2010 09:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
You shouldn't give it if it's been made clear numerous times that nobody wants to hear it.

I personally think they're just being bitter and actively trying to create holes what i'm saying.

I'll say:
Quote:
maybe drop one or two of your other high mana cost cards. and replace them with 4 or less mana costing cards

Jeebus Said:

Quote:
It's a good card for a really, really fast deck, but you have too many high mana spells to ever empty your hand, and even if you do you have better things to do with that mana, like Ant Queen or Flameblast Dragon.

This to me READS as take out some of your high costing cards you have too many they're going to just sit in your hand, because you'll be playing that mana on other more worthwhile things such as ant queen.

I don't agree with that logic totally, that's a small part of why you should do it the main reason, in my opinion, to cut out some high costing cards is the following:

I would argue differently as to why not to have so many high costing cards. With his current mana acceleration he's very likely to draw one or two of them early game before he can play them, meaning he's having dead draws.

We have the same conclusion you're giving a different reason, and i thought of your EXACT reason before posted, but i did not state that because I made the more relevant reason he NEEDED to cut some down. Namely early game dead draws.

There are numerous other cases where we've said the same stuff exactly, maybe i didn't explain the suggestion thoroughly, but i could if i wanted to make my post 2 pages long, on exactly all the reasons to make the changes. But apparently we never make the same suggestions according to Jeebus, that's a false statement, and he's just saying to try and annoy me.. he's trolling me.

And a 2/2 for one is good, and if he had Kird they'd be in his deck, don't you think he'd have noticed them,,, For his card pool, i think he did fine, if he wants to go buy more cards then there are many card he can look into buying more of. I think he should play with his deck first before he buys more.

Quote:
Your entire last post was wrong advice, not the same advice. And your opinion IS wrong, so you shouldn't give it as it won't help him learn anything

You're an arrogant SOB, to think you can't get it wrong... I accept no more critism from you... until you've earned the right to give it to me.

I'll let Jeebus take over for all future posting of your deck Ba'al, unless Ba'al specifically asks me. I'm dissappointed in the spammy stop posts, you guys should not be wasting posts with those spammy things.

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Jul 16 2010 01:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If anyone feels the need to lock this thread, you have my permission to. My deck's more or less done unless I can find those Ape cards, if I don't oh well and I'll just buy singles of them when I can.

TARDISman
PostPosted: Jul 16 2010 01:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
I'm dissappointed in the spammy stop posts, you guys should not be wasting posts with those spammy things.

RIP Hacker 1993-2014

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jul 16 2010 01:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jon, you fucking retard. Let me make this VERY clear: If you post any more Magic advice, I will make sure you are banned. Even if that means I have to hack Syd's account to do it. You have no idea what you're talking about, you have derailed Ba'al's thread, and no one likes you. And earn the right to give you criticism? First of all, learn to spell. Second of all, I've been playing for almost 16 years, about 13 at a competitive level, and I am a respected member of the online Magic community. People who know much more about this game than you do regard what I have to say very highly, even if they don't agree with all of it.

As for the two pieces you quoted, they are NOT saying the same thing. If you think they are, you are possibly the dumbest person I have ever met. You told him to cut some of his high mana spells. I told him to cut a land because he is running high mana spells and will never get the land's hellbent ability. Not only did I not say a different thing than you, I encouraged him to make a simple change that would prevent him from needing to do what you said. Interesting how you quoted just a sentence fragment, as if you knew that quoting the whole sentence would make it clear that we were talking about different things.

In conclusion, go fuck yourself, Snow. You're not welcome here.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Reply to topic

Jump to: