SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
So I traded my D&D Ver. 3.5 books for Magic cards...

Reply to topic
Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Jul 11 2010 05:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

.....a shitload of them I might add....

I was originally just asking for as many useful Red and Green cards that he had, as I was interested in trying to get into Magic and all I had was a starter deck that I don't know the location to. But instead he more or less just said "fuck it" and gave me everything he didn't care for or wasn't of enormous value. The quantity is in the form of a shoebox full of them, a smaller box, another box with "Land's End" on it and conveniently having all of the lands I'd ever need to play(I realize the hilarity behind the name on the box and he didn't realize it until I pointed it out.), and a binder with rarer stuff in it.

So yeah, I'm now the owner of at least thousands of Magic cards. Not very many older design ones though...so what should I look into when making a deck for official rule tourneys and/or casual play? I figured here would be a good place to ask, considering we have alot of players and Jebus.....

Fernin
Title: Comic Author
PostPosted: Jul 11 2010 05:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pop into the chatroom more often, chances are pretty good that either Tardis, Satsui or I will be around to help you with whatever questions you have. As for advice on deckbuilding, I like the Casual forum at MTG Salvation, they're always helpful there, and... usually friendly to newbies.

...Ignore JonSnow, I'm sure he'll repeatedly offer you help, but I don't think you could find a worse teacher than him around here.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Ba'al
PostPosted: Jul 11 2010 05:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hah yeah, I read some of his posts in the other topics and know of that but thanks. Later tonight I may go in the chat since I haven't gone on Chatzilla in forever, I really have been neglecting that.

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 06:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Man one of my biggest regrets is selling off my Magic collection, so I hope your friend doesn't experience the same. Since I got rid of my cards, I haven't been able to get back into the game because it's just too expensive to start from scratch. Getting a ready-made collection for cheap though is awesome Ba'al.
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 09:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

if i know anything, his friend will probably feel regret. nice job altogether though ba'al. after all, you can always legally obtain pdf copies of all those d&d book in a perfectly legal fashion.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Medisinn
Title: King Awesome
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tcgplayer.com is a great resource for Magic. You can make a deck listing to see how everything would go together, how much it would cost to build the deck, and even test out drawing through a simulation. These days, I mostly shy away from getting boosters and random cards and just research and buy singles instead, way cheaper.

I'd say think about what type of deck you want(creature based stomp deck, asshole fire deck, assholier blue counter deck, etc.), find the cards you like out of what you have and put them together, then do some research online and weed out the crap ones, plus supplement them with better ones. Usually in the comments section on TCG when you look at a card, they'll reference other cards that go together well with it.

Magic is sweet. Once I move back to Oregon I will resume leadership of my one-of-a-kind nerdy Magic league combining the best elements of Magic and wrestling,.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Ba'al
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 06:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

And now my first built Magic deck to get lambasted! A Red/Green deck!

Creatures:

Territorial Baloth
Mist Leopard
Acidic Slime
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava
Prized Unicorn
Llanowar Elves
Deadly Recluse
Elvish Visionary
Witherscale Wurm
Fangren Hunter
Wild Nacati
Timbermaw Larva
Mire Boa
River Boa
Awakener Druid
Thorn-Thrash Viashino
Raging Goblin x2
Goblin Mountaineer
Flametongue Kavu
Bloodthorn Taunter
Jackal Familiar
Lightning Elemental
Chandra Nalaar
Shivan Dragon
Flameblast Dragon
Rorix Bladewing
Hissing Iguanar
Toxic Iguanar
Dragon Whelp

Artifacts:

Neurok Hoversail
Heartwood Shard
Wurm's Tooth
Oxidda Golem

Enchantments, Instants, and Sorceries:

Overrun
Howl of the Night Pack
Harmonize
Naturalize
Nature's Spiral
Might of Oaks
Fog
Oakenform
Bountiful Harvest
Stone Rain
Fireball
Seething Song
Lightning Bolt
Branching Bolt
Panic Attack
Trumpet Blast
Incite War
Molten Rain
Burst of Speed

Lands:

Mountain x10(All shiny, no repeats)
Forest x10(All shiny, only one repeat)
Terrain Generator

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 08:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Listen to fernin! wait he said ignore me.. so i guess that means don't listen to fernin, and hear me out.

Make sure it's 60 cards. Looks like you're running a dual color deck, see how many cost 2 red or 3 red, and how many cost 2 green etc.. if you have more with 2 reds you may do like a 11-9 split or 12-8. Another tip is include anything that can get out a land, give you mana, or actually is a land as a land.

If you have a llanowar elf, count that as a land as well. You don't list it under lands, but in your mental count of what the ratio is of lands to spells you should count that.

The best place to go for advice is MTG salvation, like fernin said.. make sure when you post your deck you highlight your cards and do the [card][/card] command (they have a button for htem) so people can easily see what the card is by hovering over the name. It's also mandatory by their rules.

There are a lot of things that can be done to that deck, (From the cards I recognize), but just have fun and play it. If you want to play competitively, it'll need a lot of work, but that's with any first deck, so have fun with it, and see how it goes : ).

Edit: Easy tips i can give you that should help you shape up your deck.

1.) Try to go for the minimum number of cards allowable in the format your playing in. Most decks allow for 60 min. So aim for that.

2.)Have lands roughly 1/3 of total deck but this can go up or down depending on deck. (check mana cost of cards)

3.) If you have one of a card you'll likely want multiple. In fact many cards you should just put x4 if possible. If that card deserved it's spot it's likely because it's better than other options so you put 4 of them in.

You obviously have to use your card pool, but those are my basic suggestions.

Quote:
Man one of my biggest regrets is selling off my Magic collection, so I hope your friend doesn't experience the same. Since I got rid of my cards, I haven't been able to get back into the game because it's just too expensive to start from scratch. Getting a ready-made collection for cheap though is awesome Ba'al.

ebay it up!

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jul 12 2010 09:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Forget ebay. Check your local Craigslist. Usually there is someone selling off a huge set of cards for pennies on the dollar.
JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have one ore tip this one is a bit more advanced... If you can with your current card pool, do what i recommend as best you can. If anyone needs to add anything or correct anything i'm sure one of the 16 year old (not actual actual age, but if you count when you started magic as Date of Birth then that's how old they are) players can come in and correct things.

You honestly probably should refine your deck before reading this tip, and play with it a few times.
Tip #4. Is think about what you want to be doing in your deck by turn 4 or 5, and think about what you don't want to happen to you> What are you afriad of happening? Are you combo based, what woudl you do if your combo got stopped? Are you done? Is it so fast they don' thave time to stop it.. what woudl you do if a key card or creature got destroyed.. things like that.... How are you hurting them or slowing them down to accomplish what you want.
To put it simply how do you envision winning and what can stop you from doing that, based on your current deck?

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have one piece of advice: do not take Magic advice from JonSnow.
JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 01:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I have one piece of advice: do not take Magic advice from JonSnow.

My advice is give specific reasons if what i'm saying is wrong. If you don't have any, don't comment.

Usa, I'm biting my tongue right, now.. because if you draft 1/1 life link or a 0/1 moth over holy str. or think holy str is the same as a card that reads +1/+0. I'm biting my tongue. Jeebus may be right but that's not why.

Me and Usa had a disagreement in magic... If what i said makes sense to you use it, if it doesn't don't. From my experience in the game, and i played heavily for the short time i've played, verse players with many years of epxerience, and verse proxied net decks. So i know what the best decks in the world are. What I said was true... I wouldn't give you information i wasn't very confident about... that i've seen pros do, that makes sense and works for me.. i've followed those same principles. I won't misguide you.

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 02:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

We tried the whole specific reasons thing. You ignored them.

You don't know a damn thing you're taking about, and your advice is completely flawed. Plain and simple.

And BTW, I didn't say that Holy Strength and a random card that gives +1 power are the same card. I said the bonus of 1 power Holy Strength gives isn't worth spending a card on.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 04:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Seriously, ignore Jon Snow. I didn't count the cards, but it looks like your deck is over 60 cards. If that's the case, trim it down. Also, you need more land. You normally want 23-24 land for a 60 card deck, and you may want 25 since you seem to have a lot of 6 mana spells that you'll want to be playing on turn 6 like Jedit Ojanen and Rorix. But the best advice is to play and have fun! Unless you're playing a format that specifically requires only 1 of any card, you want 4 of almost everything in the deck. It's fine that you don't have that right now, but play with it and see which cards work for you and which don't. If something isn't working, cut it from the deck and increase the count of things that are working for you. Llanowar elves, for example, is something that you could almost definitely stand to have 4 of. Burst of Speed, on the other hand, is something that you'll soon learn you'd be better off not wasting a card slot on.
I know it's not a whole lot of specific advice, other than upping the land count, but building your deck for you isn't going to teach you shit, so that's a good starting point.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 03:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
You don't know a damn thing you're taking about, and your advice is completely flawed. Plain and simple.

You guys are just being bitter plain and simple, fine listen to Jeebus ba'al who said ignore me then copied my 3 bolded rules verbatim.

TARDISman
Title: Time Traveller
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 03:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
Quote:

You guys are just being bitter plain and simple, fine listen to Jeebus ba'al who said ignore me then copied my 3 bolded rules verbatim.

He simply looked at Baneslayer Angel, easily one of the best white fliers as simply a 5/5 flier and that made it good. He is the Dragonball Evolution of Magic players, complete with James Marsten as a horrible looking Piccolo that is his opinion on enchantments.

RIP Hacker 1993-2014
"Paint me like one of your French Squids" -My buddy on Relm vs Ultros.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 04:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, your three rules?
1. 60 card deck. This is a no brainer. Don't act like a fucking genius for saying it.
2. You said 1/3 land, which would be 20. 20 is not enough. Your deck should be 40-50% mana sources, which includes mana artifacts, mana creatures, and mana ramping spells like Rampant Growth.
3. You said to run more 4 ofs, but gave no basis for how to choose which ones.

UsaSatsui wrote:

aeonic
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 04:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

personally id suggest using a bigger deck but I generally go for longer games and dont play as many tourneys as i think jeebus and syd do. like was indicated, a 33% ratio is a little low for land, but the llanowars will help and you should be able to find arbor elves (arboreal? dont remember but my wife plays them) that came out in one of the latest sets that could help you crank out some high mana.

as Id mentioned elsewhere I generally use about 69 to 72 cards. it makes it a little harder to get exactly the card you want but im a whore for black/blue combo decks so i usually have hand or top of deck control or a few demonic tutors handy to ensure that I pull what i need. just my style of play, a little different, but I would say over sixteen to seventeen years I run about a sixty five percent win percentage. i also usually dont have more than three of any one card in my deck, but if im going for one specific thing (removal, hand control, milling) ill throw two or three 3-sets of a few very similar cards to make sure i always have one on hand.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 04:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you're using combo decks, having only 60 cards is even more important than any other deck. Also, Demonic Tutor is restricted, so you better not be running a few of them!

UsaSatsui wrote:

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 04:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Listen to Jeebus. He's saying what i wanted to say, in some parts he's more specific, in some parts he's more vague than me, but he's saying true things, listen to him. He's experienced. If you just follow his advice you'll be off to a good start. Good luck and have fun with Magic Ba'al, and don't let this bickering stop you from enjoying the game, most magic players just want to play magic Very Happy.

aeonic
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 04:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

bleah, i meant diabolic tutor. the two are pretty similar in what they do and i got muxed up. i still get a hankering to whip out my sol ring deck where i could have a sengir vampire out on turn 3.

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 05:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know much about MtG, so I'll ask about the basics...

What mana colors work well together. I know about white/green and black/red but not really any others.

Are there viable 3 color combinations?
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 05:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lavalarva wrote:
I don't know much about MtG, so I'll ask about the basics...

What mana colors work well together. I know about white/green and black/red but not really any others.

Are there viable 3 color combinations?

Any color can work well with any color. Allied colors (colors next to each other on the "wheel", like red/black or blue/white) are easier to build because there are more cards that let you make a viable mana base. But you can make a good deck with any combination of colors or even every color.

Green/Red seem to have the best synergy, but that's not necessarily a unanimous opinion, just personal observation.

3-color decks are viable, in fact that was kind of the theme of the Shards of Alara set.
aeonic
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 05:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

blue/black is great for removal, hand control and forcing discards as well as counters. blue/green has some interesting potential in allowing you to hammer opponents with weenies and countering their efforts until you can pull out the big guns or just swarm. white/red is good for a combination of weenies, defense, life gaining and direct damage. red/blue is a fun one to play and can make a great counter deck to tap your enemy's reserves and leave them open for some serious direct damage death dealing. green/black is good for removing your opponent's threats and then just bashing them with yours.

3 color decks are extremely viable, and especially from what ive seen in the alara block, very much workable. red/blue/black, green/white/blue, white/blue/black and white/green/red cards all appeared during that block with good frequency. im not as used to the block right after it, but there still seem to be a bunch of decent dual or tri coloreds. the best part is, if you get cards with 1 colored mana cost and the rest colorless, theyre easy to play in duo or tri color decks. ive seen people pull off quad or quint decks but its harder.

StereoTypicalAsianFriend
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 09:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm trying to build a blue/black/red deck. It's in the works, I need to set the mana curve and try it out some more
Reply to topic

Jump to: