"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Pac-Man Board Game is Bad Ass

Reply to topic
Hexen
Title: McFavorite Burger Clown
PostPosted: Jul 10 2010 01:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone ever heard of a Pac-Man Board game? On top of being a nice collection piece due to it's figures, it is also monster fun.

The game in question

Me and my friend found this at a thrift store months back, and I just remembered it. He bought it, and when we got back to his house we gave it a go. Quite a surprise.

The game, while generally based on luck, has a tactical component to it that really makes it appealing. The rules of the game are pretty simple. You set up tons of marble pellets across the board and choose a pac-man. Each pac-man starts at their own color base, and there are up to four players. A player rolls two dice to determine their move. Now, one dice determines how many times you can move pac-man, but the second dice determines how many spaces you get to move the 2 ghost in the center of the board. The ghost are the nasty strategical part of the game. When a ghost runs into a pac-man, the pac-man who was eaten must give two of their collected pellets to whoever controlled the ghost and move back to their color-coded starting base. However, across the square shape in the middle of the board are 4 yellow power pellets. When you pass a power pellet and a ghost in the same roll, the ghost is sent back to the center of the board, and that player may take 2 pellets from any other player they choose. With this system, you can literally come back from having almost no pellets if you play smart and roll good. I f'n love this game.

The other great part about it is just the board itself. The pac-men are kind of lame in looks, but they far make up for it by the system which you collect the pellets. The pac-men have holes in their mouth, and you push them onto the pellet, push down, and the swallow the pellet into their barrel like backs. The ghost are cool simply because it's always awesome to have some Pac-Man ghost around for those tough times.

I'd take some pictures of the actual thing if I had it. Like I said, I was at the thrift store with my friend, and he bought it. However, I DO have another Pac-Man game, though I've never played it.

The Pac-Man card game I own... probably not as good as the board game.

I bought this card game at the very same thrift store a few months before we got the board game. I was complete, and 99¢, so I couldn't pass it up. as I stated, I've never played it, and until I just opened it now I thought the instructions where missing, but the are actually printed under the lid.

The game comes with 4 of these boards, making me assume it's up to 4 player.

It also has the main card component. I really like the cards. I carry one of the Pac-Man +s and Ghost -s in my wallet to rate situations when they come up and look like an asshole doing it. If anyone is interested I'll look up the rules for this one, but it couldn't beat the simple joy of the board game.

So, basically, if you are ever at a garage sale or a antique mall and see this for something less then $20, I'd pick it up, get together some friends, and party like its 1982!

Cheers!

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Jul 10 2010 07:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hexen wrote:

I carry one of the Pac-Man +s and Ghost -s in my wallet to rate situations when they come up and look like an asshole doing it.

Haha that's awesome! I love that idea.

Another great toy review Hexen!
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jul 10 2010 07:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Haha that board game does indeed sound awesome

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: Jul 14 2010 06:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

I saw Guru Larry and Dr. Ashens play this in a vid. It looked pretty fucking cool. I wish the Q*Bert game was nearly as interesting, as that's the only old videogame-turned-boardgame that I have knocking around the house.

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Jul 18 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Watch the rest of Ashen's videos while you're at it.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Jul 19 2010 06:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Great video. I've seen some of Guru Larry's stuff actually; mostly tied to Kikoskia who does the best Let's Plays on the internet, so I recognized his voice there.
Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Jul 20 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hah, that was fairly amusing.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Jul 20 2010 08:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

looks nice. i own an tetris board game and believe it or not, its massive fun.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jul 20 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have a Ms. Pac Man board game that's beat to shit. My grandma had it at her house for when we came over, and now I own it. Haven't played it in years. It had similar game play, but the Pac Man board game looks way better.

If any of you care, here's the link with some good pictures and rules: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4908/ms-pac-man-game

The basic idea is to capture all the pellets in your color area. Each player controls a ghost, and there is only one Ms. Pac Man playing piece. One person controls her at a time, so if you aren't in control of her your goal is to catch her with your ghost; then you gain control of her.

I remember it being real fun when I was a kid, but I also liked any type of game so not sure what I would think today. I do recall that some games would be over quite quickly, however. A few good rolls and you could clear our your pellets before any of the other players even had a chance.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Reply to topic

Jump to: