"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
D&D-

Reply to topic
Hexen
Title: McFavorite Burger Clown
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 03:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Me and 3 of my friends have invented our own version of D&D with much laxer rules. Your pretty much able to create whatever kind of dungeons, monsters and characters you like, and their difficulty/power is almost completely based on the honor system.

Recently, one of those 3 friends tried to get us to play real D&D. After digging through the manuals, I was actually quite disappointing at the options, as I always thought you could be pretty much anything (I had a Doppelganger Wizard made for me, but based n his monster stats, he'd be 1st level up until everyone else was like 5th.) Real D&D had less freedom then I imagined.

Anyways, in our version's limited rule sets, we get a lot of creative dungeons and characters.

Some of our characters include:
-An African American afro'd cyclops who calls upon the "Black Power" as his strength
-A refrigerator with the personality of a teenage girl
-A psychic lizard who can control minds
-A robotic swordsman with a Montgolfier balloon for a head
-A giant parrot mage

Some of our dungeons:
-Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory after closing and 10 years of decay
-Santa's Death Village
-Zombie K-Mart
-A mechanical castle in which all the rooms had to be moved to solve

We use regular 6-sided die, which we creatively use since we don't use die with large numbers. This includes things like rolling two die with roll x roll as damage, Rolling one die until a 1 is rolled adding damage = to the number of rolls it took and rolling with the number required to keep rolling increasing each successful roll.

So, generally, I was wondering if anyone has done anything like this before, or usually just choose to either stick to official rules or just not play at all.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 09:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to play DnD at least once to see what it's like... alas i know no one who is interested. Too many rules to learn too.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

My suggestion to you would be to look into RIFTS or GURPS if you don't want any possible outcome disallowed.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hexen, please tell me you're 13 or younger.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 04:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've only played 4e which many experienced DnD players have a distate for (i guess too mechanically and too little RP).

It can be fun, and i think you'd have the most fun Creating your own characters within the 4e universe.. you can play their campaigns and use their mechanics but just give your characters the skills sets you want.. i'd model them off of current Character Builder options so you don't make yourselves Over powered, or break the purpose of Terrain... but it could be fun to think out side the box.. the key is balance, making the combats equal tot he abilitites you have.. and the story line, and role playing fun to do.

That's a balance some people don't like 4e for.. too much Technical not enough RP freedom.

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 05:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anybody ever play Shadowrun? I've always wanted to check it out but have never gotten around to it.

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 05:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

shadowrun is great and 4ed is pretty faithful to the original setting while moving it along at the same time

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 05:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I actualyl like 4e But i have never played 3.5 which i guess some people think of as better.

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

aeonic
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 05:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i meant 4e shadowrun. I wouldnt touch 4e d and d if you threatened to castrate me with a butter knife. if i wanted to play wow id get a subscription and play on my pc

Hexen
Title: McFavorite Burger Clown
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 06:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Hexen, please tell me you're 13 or younger.

Well, yesterday my Pikachu action figure finally defeated the combined efforts of Starscream and The Noid with the help of a Bugs Bunny shampoo bottle... so, I'm obviously 22.

aeonic
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 06:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hexen if youre interested in a rules set that would cover the game youre involved with try gurps or rifts. you can pretty much pull anything off with either of those but gurps is more open ended. the mutants and masterminds d20 setting is also a really flexible one

Rogue Hippo
Title: Lone Wolf Hippo
PostPosted: Jul 11 2010 08:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My group tried a wide open D&D adventure once that sounds pretty similar to yours. We made up unusual characters and used d6's for everything. It was really fun for a change of pace but we didn't stick with it. We all felt that improving your character was a big part of D&D and its tough to do that when you're just sort of making stuff up as you go.

Blackout, my group mostly plays Shadowrun now and I think its probably the best system out there. Its less hack & slash and more cloak & dagger. We play 3rd edition because we have all the books so I can't really comment on 4th.
Reply to topic

Jump to: