[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Unwritten rules of MTG multiplayer

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 01:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mass board removal is an out, plain and simple. What if you're playing against another aggro deck and you're losing the race? What would you prefer to do? Sit there and shrug, or actually have an answer? The fact that you have a 4 of in your deck that might make it one-sided is just an added bonus.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 01:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Even if the guy lasted a turn, he'd be very annoying and if your opponent didn't have a quick answer to that guy, they'd be in really big trouble.

And Ya i think even white weenie would at least SB a field wipe. Like Syd pointed out.. you should have an answer to you being down.

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 02:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
APLETHORAOFPINATAS wrote:
Speaking of mistakes from Tempest block, I saw they made a Survival of the Fittest creature. Thats pretty neat, obviously not as cool as the real deal but cool non the less that they would attempt to reuse that mechanic.

Fixed. Survival of the Fittest is from Exodus.

In his defense, Exodus and Saga were back to back. And there have been 52 expansion sets thus far, not counting Portals or joke sets. They all start to run together.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
APLETHORAOFPINATAS
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 02:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yea my bad, they definitly run together... a lot. Have there really been 52? Thats frightening, God I'm old.

In a way, each of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo!

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 03:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Rise of the Eldrazi was the 52nd. The 13th core set comes out next week, with the prerelease being this weekend.

So 52 expansion sets + 13 core sets + 3 Portal sets = 68 sets which are legal in Type 1.
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 03:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

And I've been playing for all of them almost. Good lord.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 05:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Mass board removal is an out, plain and simple. What if you're playing against another aggro deck and you're losing the race? What would you prefer to do? Sit there and shrug, or actually have an answer? The fact that you have a 4 of in your deck that might make it one-sided is just an added bonus.

What other aggro deck? First of all, your 4 drop should be Elspeth. That will give you the edge over most aggro decks. Second of all, against any non-white aggro deck, you have the advantages of first strike, possibly lifelink, and Honor of the Pure, so you're already favoured. Against another white deck, they're probably running a near identical list to yours so they are just as well prepared for DoJ as you are.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 06:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fair enough.
JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 07 2010 07:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I still think a DoJ would be nice to have verse another white deck, may even make you consistently beat a near identical white deck. So I think at minimum it's SB worthy. Lastly, whether this other card will see play it's very well possible, perhaps in a tweaked white weenie, or in some other form of White-Knight deck.

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Jul 09 2010 05:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

tell me about it zarack. second core set was when i started although i missed (technically, not emotionally) all of kamigawa and a few other sets out of other blocks

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 09 2010 08:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I started at the end of Revised. Sure wish I had started in Unlimited!
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jul 09 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
tell me about it zarack. second core set was when i started although i missed (technically, not emotionally) all of kamigawa and a few other sets out of other blocks

Second core set was beta...

UsaSatsui wrote:

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jul 09 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I thought Alpha & Beta were both considered the 1st edtion base set?
Unlimited was 2nd.
Revised was 3rd.
And 4th was 4th?
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 09 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alpha - Core Set
Beta - First Revision
Unlimited - 2nd Revision
Revised - 3rd Revision
4th - Fourth Revision

And so on, through 10th.
JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 10 2010 02:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Here's a link to a website, that even has a chat room full of people that like to play magic online, who also can guide you on how to use, and download OCTGN 2, which is what i have. It's not to bad to set up, but luckily these guys were able to chat me through it as well. Here is there page: http://www.octgn.net/downloads.php

Click on the chat room if you have any questions or ask me, i can probably help you get started, even though i'm still learning some parts of the program.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jul 10 2010 04:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Who said they have any questions? Also, it was decided in chat today that there is only one way you can possibly face me in Magic, Mr. Snow. You must defeat Fernin, leader of the rock gym, and work your way up towards battle with me.

UsaSatsui wrote:

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Jul 10 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

if i could play mtg online without the wife dick punching me i would totally volunteer to do the poison gym. but dick punches esta no bueno. especially because the ring i bought her cuts skin like a motherfucker. and yeah syd, i started in beta. my older cousin joe knew garfield at upenn and got the younger boys in the family into it once it was released. i sold a bunch of beta commons and uncommons and a black lotus to get out here to be with my wife. it was worth it.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 10 2010 02:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Who said they have any questions? Also, it was decided in chat today that there is only one way you can possibly face me in Magic, Mr. Snow. You must defeat Fernin, leader of the rock gym, and work your way up towards battle with me.

I do have one request apparently cards from the Mirrodin set have been rotated out of extended..well they happened to play an influential part in my extended deck. And the official magic website, currently says they're legal. Mind if i play my deck including mirrodin and kamizawa (sp). If not i'm trying to find good substitutes. I have a temp deck that's not as good as i want, but meets the new extended rules.

Fernin
Title: Comic Author
PostPosted: Jul 10 2010 03:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mirrodin doesn't rotate out of Extended until October, Snow.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 10 2010 06:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Mirrodin doesn't rotate out of Extended until October, Snow.

Sweet I got tIIIIME... I reallly like that that's the case.

I started using OCTGN 2. Works really nice. It's very natural, you can drag cards staright from you hand to the table, or straight from table to gy etc.... the graphics are really good. You can do sealed, drafts... even play the new m11 set. God it is very cool. I played some people today with my Standard deck,and I won Razz... You can connect directly or through a virtual network program called Hamachi.

So basically what i have to do is. Burn the Fern, then i can face the almighty Jeebus.. then i'll have earned the right for Syd to consider playing me.

I am pumped... that website is really fun has players of all types... they were doing a 6 sealed with 10 players wtf.... on the new set m11. wayyyy cool. That'll help me so much if i decide to go to tourneys, back in my home area.

I also have officially graduated college. Have a math and econ degree woot. so i'm ready to count backwards from 20 to 0, as I watch my opponents health go down!!!

Fernin
Title: Comic Author
PostPosted: Jul 10 2010 07:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm slightly embarassed to say that Snow has won the Boulder Badge...

The first game went kaput, as when I tried to put a charge counter on a Vivid land, the program crashed on me, but we started again and he beat me 2-0. Whoever's up next... well, his deck's not horrible, but I wouldn't say it's top tier, either, so you'll need a little luck.

For anyone interested, I used my Zur deck, though Snow requested that I not reveal what's in his deck. I did record the game (mostly due to the fact that I expected Jeebus to not believe me on the chance that I lost).

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 10 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If anyone is on here and wants to play MTG.. I'm in the Sydlexia web chat room. I just regained my typing voice so i'm ready to roll!!! I can also help you set up OCTGN 2, if you haven't done it, takes about 30min to get everything ready, and that included building a single deck of your choice. I wonder if anyone here uses skype, could chat as we played...

I'll be on for awhile and see if people show up : ). I only have 2 decks built though both 1v1 decks. Standard and an Extended.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jul 11 2010 03:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mirrodin, Kamigawa, and Ravnica are NOT legal in extended. Time Sprial will rotate in October. This change went into effect on July 1st, and whatever page you were looking at had outdated information.

UsaSatsui wrote:

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 11 2010 06:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have an updated version of my Deck, it's a little worse than my original but it is legal by the newest extended rules. and i have a type II legal deck.

Anyway i'll try to be on tommorrow, and play some people.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 13 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
If i could play mtg online without the wife dick punching me i would totally volunteer to do the poison gym. but dick punches esta no bueno. especially because the ring i bought her cuts skin like a motherfucker (why will you play magic naked?). and yeah syd, i started in beta. my older cousin joe knew garfield at upenn and got the younger boys in the family into it once it was released. i sold a bunch of beta commons and uncommons and a black lotus to get out here to be with my wife. it was worth it.

You need to man up, you don't need to live in childish bull shit, where someone's way of saying you can't do something is dick punching you. You can spend your free time how you want.. Next time she does that catch her hand, and tell her if she wants to touch it, it'll have to be with her lips. Don't take that nonsense. It's unhealthy and disrespectful.

Now it's come to my attention that you're not the only one not wanting to give me,... err.. play me for these badges, I've come to the conclusion that they're all likely spending to much time taking it up the ass with their boyfriends, or getting dick punched, so that leaves you Jeebus. Now i know you have a hung boyfriend too, but he has to sleep sometime, then I can ram you in Magic.

And I have an idea.. we should post the results on your website that can be your next blog. We keep the records and we talk about how some 3month noobie beats 16 year old veteran, he beats the guy that's reviewing your cards. That'll be the opening line.

Reply to topic

Jump to: