[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
things that piss you off in sports

Reply to topic
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Nov 30 2009 07:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
You know what is fucking retarded? Why the hell are they even putting effort into returning a missed field goal with NO time left AND the lead??? If a coach sent that player to field a missed FG, he needs to be fired.

Save that fact that they only get three downs, the Canadian Game is very much geared toward offense. I just skimmed through the rule differences, and I am surprised at how much is different. Which style do you prefer lava? NFL or CFL?

CFL, I think. The NFL is still really awesome, but the stuff that really annoys me in the NFL is different in the CFL, like :

- Overtime : 2 possessions (max) instead of sudden death;
- End-game clock : You can only waste 20 seconds from taking a knee compared to 40 seconds in the NFL;
- I have yet to find a rule I find incredibly dumb in the CFL (you know, Tuck Rule, which is never enforced anyway).
- I HATE the fucking NFL administration, trying to trademark terms like SuperBowl or The Big Game. Also, blackouts.

The refereeing is sometimes lacking in the CFL though. I'm really happy they finally put challenges in the game this year.

As for why they tried to return the field goal, I can see two reasons :
- Better end score : A missed field goal often scores a single, so by getting out of the endzone they avoid giving a point;
- Avoiding an unlikely touchdown : Any onside player of the kicking team could technically recover the ball for a touchdown even if nobody from the receiving team touched it first.
Both of those are fucking retarded. Only the kicker was onside anyway.

They showed a weird playoff game finish looking somewhat like this. Score tied, field goal attempt with almost no time remaining.
Field goal wide right. Returning guy punts it out of the endzone to avoid a single. A player of the offense catches it and punts it back in. They punt it out again and tackle the player as he catches the ball.
Result : No-yards penalty on the defense, on the last punt. 5 or 15 yards penalty, I don't know if the ball touched the ground. Second field goal attempt scored.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 01:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've always been a slight hockey fan, but never really liked it because of the fights that break out. Part of my criticism falls on, if you're going to be a professional athlete, then remain professional. I know some people who enjoy hockey for the fights (same people who watch Nascar for the crashes) and I never understood that. If you want to watch people fight, watch UFC or MMA...whatever. Why is it that hockey players always decide against being rational? You're playing a FUCKING GAME.

Tonight, I turned on a random game and they were carrying a guy off the ice on a stretcher, apparently his OWN TEAMMATE got upset and threw his stick and accidently his him. The reason for throwing the stick was beyond ridiculous. I can't believe how childish some of these hockey players are, I don't know if anything is going to happen with the player, even though it was accidental, it shouldn't have happened.
Rydog
Title: Dragon Slayer
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, as I understand it, fighting in hockey is accepted in the sport, much like beaning a player in baseball. Teams will sometimes sign players taking into account how bad ass they are with the gloves off.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Rydog
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lavalarva wrote:
Rydog wrote:
You know what is fucking retarded? Why the hell are they even putting effort into returning a missed field goal with NO time left AND the lead??? If a coach sent that player to field a missed FG, he needs to be fired.

Save that fact that they only get three downs, the Canadian Game is very much geared toward offense. I just skimmed through the rule differences, and I am surprised at how much is different. Which style do you prefer lava? NFL or CFL?

CFL, I think. The NFL is still really awesome, but the stuff that really annoys me in the NFL is different in the CFL, like :

- Overtime : 2 possessions (max) instead of sudden death;
- End-game clock : You can only waste 20 seconds from taking a knee compared to 40 seconds in the NFL;
- I have yet to find a rule I find incredibly dumb in the CFL (you know, Tuck Rule, which is never enforced anyway).
- I HATE the fucking NFL administration, trying to trademark terms like SuperBowl or The Big Game. Also, blackouts.

The refereeing is sometimes lacking in the CFL though. I'm really happy they finally put challenges in the game this year.

As for why they tried to return the field goal, I can see two reasons :
- Better end score : A missed field goal often scores a single, so by getting out of the endzone they avoid giving a point;
- Avoiding an unlikely touchdown : Any onside player of the kicking team could technically recover the ball for a touchdown even if nobody from the receiving team touched it first.
Both of those are fucking retarded. Only the kicker was onside anyway.

They showed a weird playoff game finish looking somewhat like this. Score tied, field goal attempt with almost no time remaining.
Field goal wide right. Returning guy punts it out of the endzone to avoid a single. A player of the offense catches it and punts it back in. They punt it out again and tackle the player as he catches the ball.
Result : No-yards penalty on the defense, on the last punt. 5 or 15 yards penalty, I don't know if the ball touched the ground. Second field goal attempt scored.

-Yeah, I can tolerate NFL overtime, but it isn't my top choice.
-Kneeling is retarded, NFL should find a way to limit it.
-Tuck Rule? Never heard of it.
-NFL's top priority = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The kicking rules seem pretty kooky to me, so on FGs you always have to have someone back to prevent singles? Or TD recoveries? Maybe if I watched a few games it would be clearer. Still, what a way to blow a Championship.
Sexton Hardcastle
Title: The Supreme Element
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 01:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
-Tuck Rule? Never heard of it.

As a fellow Patriots fan you've never heard of the tuck rule!?!?! It was the rule that made it so Brady's fumble wasn't a fumble back when they played The Raiders in that snow storm playoff game.
Rydog
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 01:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hahahah, i thought it would be obvious I was joking
Sexton Hardcastle
Title: The Supreme Element
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 01:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Haha damn it! I thought you were at first too! Should have gone with my first instinct. Embarrassed
One thing that pisses me off in sports is Michael Crabtree, once his hold out ended I thought he was going to be incredible so I signed him to my fantasy football teams but the guy hasn't done a thing. I'm leaving him in every week though because I know once I bench him he'll have a big multi touchdown game.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 02:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

<---- hates the god damn tuck rule.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Rydog
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 02:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

^ Really, is just jealous....i actually watched the snow bowl on classic games on ESPN, it's funny to here all the Raider players being interviewed and whining.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 03:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
Well, as I understand it, fighting in hockey is accepted in the sport, much like beaning a player in baseball. Teams will sometimes sign players taking into account how bad ass they are with the gloves off.

I know it's accepted. And beaning a player in baseball usually leads to reprocussions as well as walking the batter. I don't know of anything in hockey unless they declare a penalty shot. I don't know...something about just throwing the rules of the game out to hit someone just never sat well with me.
JimmyLazer
Title: Always bored
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 04:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Notre Dame... My dad went there and I love their football team but, man. They suck!

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 04:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
The kicking rules seem pretty kooky to me, so on FGs you always have to have someone back to prevent singles? Or TD recoveries? Maybe if I watched a few games it would be clearer. Still, what a way to blow a Championship.

Usually, teams don't want to score a single, like how in the NFL they don't want to kick a touchback.
Sure, you gain a point, but while the opponent gets the ball at the 20 yard line for a touchback in the NFL, the opponent gets it at the 35 yards line after a single.

As for TD recoveries, they usually only happen after a kickoff, where any player can recover the ball because they start behind the kicker.
What this does mostly is that if the receiver misjudges the ball, he can't let it go (like in the NFL with the first-touch rule) because any opponent player could take it.

It also makes onside kicks slightly easier, though I've only seen it being successful once, which was cancelled anyway because a player was offside, and it wasn't even because of this rule, but the
"if the ball goes out of bounds after it gets loose (fumble, blocked punt, etc.), the last team to touch the ball while it was on the field gains possession" rule.
Rydog
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 06:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In the NFL on punts, the receiver may let it go, but on kickoffs they must get the ball or the kicking team can recover for possession.
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 07:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
Tonight, I turned on a random game and they were carrying a guy off the ice on a stretcher, apparently his OWN TEAMMATE got upset and threw his stick and accidently his him. The reason for throwing the stick was beyond ridiculous. I can't believe how childish some of these hockey players are, I don't know if anything is going to happen with the player, even though it was accidental, it shouldn't have happened.

He wasn't trying to hit anybody. He failed a defensive play, which led to a goal, and was pissed at himself. He wanted to hit the crossbar in his anger but hit his goalie instead.

Sure, it's dumb, but you don't always do the most intelligent stuff when you're pissed. It has absolutely nothing to do with hockey in general.

Also, the reason fighting is tolerated is because both players agree to fight and accept the risks of injury or whatever.
What the NHL doesn't like is players checking people with their knees, or checking players in the head or in the back when they can't see you coming.
Why? Because there's a serious risk of injury, and because cheap shots like that are done by fucking cowards. So they suspend them. But not long enough. Especially that fucker Ovechkin.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 08:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lavalarva wrote:
Doddsino wrote:

He wasn't trying to hit anybody. He failed a defensive play, which led to a goal, and was pissed at himself. He wanted to hit the crossbar in his anger but hit his goalie instead.

Sure, it's dumb, but you don't always do the most intelligent stuff when you're pissed. It has absolutely nothing to do with hockey in general.

Also, the reason fighting is tolerated is because both players agree to fight and accept the risks of injury or whatever.
What the NHL doesn't like is players checking people with their knees, or checking players in the head or in the back when they can't see you coming.
Why? Because there's a serious risk of injury, and because cheap shots like that are done by fucking cowards. So they suspend them. But not long enough. Especially that fucker Ovechkin.

In any other sport, if you react in a stupid fashion you usually get a foul or a flag or some shit. Hockey should be the same way, act like professionals.

And that's the problem, I can't respect guys who play a game and can't keep it together. I grew up playing against a bunch of douche bags who would react when something didn't work out for them, they would fight, throw shit, hit the wall whatever...it's embarassing...be a man, stop crying.
pineapple
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 08:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is ridiculous!
Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 08:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, that's what I was refering to. Absolutely uncalled for. If I was the league, I would suspend his ass, there's no reason to act like that. I don't care if it's an accident, fuck that, if he he used that anger to motivate himself into playing better, we wouldn't be hearing about it.
pineapple
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 09:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Definitely Dodd. The guy better get a hefty suspension and/or a fine. I play goalie and I would be pretty pissed if that happened to me.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 09:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly! As I stated before, nothing to me is less professional than reacting in a childish manner. I played basketball with a guy and when he lost or missed a big shot, he'd take the ball and kick it into the stands and start screaming obsenities.

I hate losing, making big plays, all that...but if you can't take losing, you shouldn't be playing.
pineapple
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 09:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Losing is as much apart of any sport as winning is. Letting your emotions get the best of you is quite normal but damn this is way too much. I think they showed the guy after he realized what he did and he was tearing up.
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Dec 01 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I don't see the point of him being suspended. It happened in the team itself, so if they want to let him play anyway after that shit it's their fucking problem.
Unless they can dock his pay because of the suspension. Then, I agree with it.

Also, it's not the first time this happened, but that time the goalie wasn't injured and the player didn't seem to give a damn about hitting his teammate.

pineapple
PostPosted: Dec 02 2009 05:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

He's not going to be suspended.
Rydog
PostPosted: Dec 02 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

I really don't think he should, I know it was a horrible act, but he had ZERO intention of hitting another person....he had built up frustration and he went to hit a metal pole which is better than going after another player, it just didn't go as planned. Lava posted a similar incident, but since no one got hurt it blew right over. I am sure that he feels fucking terrible.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 02 2009 03:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm aware of it being unintentional, but shit like this shouldn't even be going on to begin with. If these guys would stick to playing the fucking game, maybe we would see some actual highlights of the game, since almost every recap I see of a hockey game usually involves some sort of brawl.
Reply to topic

Jump to: