"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Nintendo - Recent News

Reply to topic
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Nov 20 2020 03:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just wanted to share these and discuss/see what other peoples' thoughts are around it. A short list of Nintendo shenanigans lately:

-Nintendo sues Amazon seller that manufactures USB devices for jailbreaking the Switch
https://www.polygon.com/2020/11/18/21574488/nintendo-rcm-loader-jailbreak-lawsuit-switch

-Nintendo releases update for the 3DS despite no longer manufacturing the console
https://gameranx.com/updates/id/212786/article/nintendo-3ds-receives-another-update/

-Nintendo releases official guidelines banning politics or "financial benefit from using the game"
https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/animal-crossing-new-horizons-gets-official-guidelines-for-how-businesses-orgs-may-use-the-game/

-Nintendo cancelling online Smash tournament due to them using unapproved netcode
https://www.polygon.com/2020/11/19/21578200/super-smash-bros-tournament-the-big-house-10-canceled-nintendo-c-d

I have no real argument against Nintendo pursuing legal action against piracy - I think it's a massive buzzkill given that 99% of the games people play using emulators on their consoles are older out-of-print games that no currently existing gaming company would make money on, but corporations do have copyright laws.

I think Nintendo has the "right" to ban politics from their games - and I think, given some of the recent protests that were actually being organized through Animal Crossing (Hong Kong protests, Black Lives Matter protest), it's in poor taste to censor them. I also worry about how their new clause about how people can't make revenue off of the content will affect Animal Crossing Youtubers.

In my humble-opinion-based-entirely-on-conjecture, the 3DS update is more than likely a last-ditch effort to curb piracy on the 3DS. Which again, seems silly given that they're no longer making 3DS consoles or physical games (apparently the eShop still gets new releases, though). A 3DS hacking forum I'm on has already talked about how the update is bricking some of their homebrew software.

Banning a Smash tournament for using the wrong netcode (or, as Nintendo puts it, "use of illegally copied versions of the game) seems silly and petty given that 1. they have no way of knowing the tournament wouldn't be streamed using legit hardware and copies, and 2. 1. Melee is 19 years old and you can't legally get a new copy of it, anywhere, so I'm not even sure what the alternative would be.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Nov 20 2020 03:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have zero problems with Nintendo going after the people selling jailbreaking software for the Switch. I do think cancelling that Smash tournament is catty and lame.
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Nov 21 2020 06:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
1. Nintendo sues Amazon seller that manufactures USB devices for jailbreaking the Switch

Nintendo needs to back off and let people use their consoles how they want. It sucks that consoles are locked down, when PCs are open ended most of the things you can do on a PC are impossible to do on a console.

Cameron wrote:
2. Nintendo releases update for the 3DS despite no longer manufacturing the console

It makes me sad that the 3DS is ending. I miss having two screens, 3D screen, and Streetpass. I also miss old Nintendo features like Miiverse and Wii channels. Even Mii creator is buried in the console and is rarely used in games. I wish Nintendo would stop taking out old features.

Cameron wrote:
3. Nintendo releases official guidelines banning politics or "financial benefit from using the game"

The only speech that should be banned in games is bigoted and harassing speech.

Cameron wrote:
4. Nintendo cancelling online Smash tournament due to them using unapproved netcode

Nintendo needs to stop banning their games from being in tournaments and people modding the games. It's one thing to stop piracy, but if Nintendo cared then they would sell copies of Melee again. Let people enable online play with it. Consoles are so restrictive and it's disappointing.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

Rory Luke
PostPosted: Dec 14 2020 09:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
I have zero problems with Nintendo happy birds game going after the people selling jailbreaking software for the Switch. I do think cancelling that Smash tournament is catty and lame.

Yes, I agree with you

I'm happy, and you?

Reply to topic

Jump to: