[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Toys 'R' Us preparing to close all U.S. stores

Reply to topic
Methid Man
Title: Spawn of Billy Mays
PostPosted: Mar 14 2018 09:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/toys-r-us-likely-shut-222452515.html

This news saddens me. Electronics and online shops killed the toy store.

RIP Hacker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Mar 15 2018 05:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's about time. There is a Toys 'R' Us near where I live that has been a damn ghost town for the most part for the last 15+ years. I have no idea how they stayed in business as long as they have. I assumed it must be like K mart, where they own the building or have distribution networks that keep them making money.

Also, there really is not enough innovation in the toy market. It's a lot of the same old shit, with slightly different designs. If you don't innovate, then don't expect people to buy your crap.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Mar 17 2018 06:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's sad because I have a lot of fun memories of going to Toy R Us (like when I won a $25 gift certificate by calling in during Batman TAS when I was a kid...$25 was a fortune to me at the time), but at the same time every time I've gone there recently I wind up asking myself, "Why would I pay this much for this when I can get it for half the price online?"

So yeah, it sucks for the people who work there, but inevitable. Next up, Best Buy!

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Mar 23 2018 12:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

And then the company founder died.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

nathanspencern
PostPosted: Aug 07 2018 03:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Toys ‘R’ Us had been closing one-fifth of its U.S. stores as part of efforts to emerge from one of the largest ever bankruptcies by a specialty retailer.
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Oct 19 2020 10:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is old news, but I'm saddened too. I never went to Toys R Us much, but it sucks because I liked all the commercials, and everybody else seemed to like it. I got some Toys R Us Hot Wheels once, and got Wario's Woods for SNES there once.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Dec 01 2020 12:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly, the biggest problem that TRU had wasn't changing purchasing habits or electronics/online stuff becoming predominant. I know this because I was working as an assistant store manager at TRU when they closed down, in a store that'd only been opened four months prior and which was part of a new planned direction for the company. I was bound knee-deep in NDAs on the matter, but since the company is defunct now, it doesn't matter. TRU got buried because it was acquired by Mitt Romney's Bain Capital and used as a debt sink, and honestly, the fix was in on the company for years. When a hiring manager says, "There's absolutely no truth to the rumors that we're bankrupt or going out of business," during a hiring spree for a new store, the writing's on the goddamned wall. Interestingly, some of the plans included a 'play area' where kids could try the newest toys pre-purchase with 'facilitators' helping to push the merch, interactive AR set-ups, in-store DJ'ing, events.... it would've been really amazing to see the direction they'd have taken, seemed like a move towards more of what FAO Schwartz did in their earlier periods. That said, there were some serious problems inherent to the company, and a lot of them were cultural: I was regularly expected to take my lunch break within the last hour of the day, frequently got called in to cover shifts when I was already over 40 hours.... it was pretty fucked up at the end, there. A real shame, considering I worked off and on for the company for years, but c'est la vie!

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Dec 01 2020 04:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It would have been better if Toys R Us stopped being exclusively near cities, and spread out into towns. I never went there much because it was so far away. I'm sad now and wish I visited there more often.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Dec 02 2020 04:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
Honestly, the biggest problem that TRU had wasn't changing purchasing habits or electronics/online stuff becoming predominant. I know this because I was working as an assistant store manager at TRU when they closed down, in a store that'd only been opened four months prior and which was part of a new planned direction for the company. I was bound knee-deep in NDAs on the matter, but since the company is defunct now, it doesn't matter. TRU got buried because it was acquired by Mitt Romney's Bain Capital and used as a debt sink, and honestly, the fix was in on the company for years. When a hiring manager says, "There's absolutely no truth to the rumors that we're bankrupt or going out of business," during a hiring spree for a new store, the writing's on the goddamned wall. Interestingly, some of the plans included a 'play area' where kids could try the newest toys pre-purchase with 'facilitators' helping to push the merch, interactive AR set-ups, in-store DJ'ing, events.... it would've been really amazing to see the direction they'd have taken, seemed like a move towards more of what FAO Schwartz did in their earlier periods. That said, there were some serious problems inherent to the company, and a lot of them were cultural: I was regularly expected to take my lunch break within the last hour of the day, frequently got called in to cover shifts when I was already over 40 hours.... it was pretty fucked up at the end, there. A real shame, considering I worked off and on for the company for years, but c'est la vie!

Hope you've been able to land on your feet.
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Dec 02 2020 09:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
aeonic wrote:

Hope you've been able to land on your feet.

Agreed aeonic, best of luck sir.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jul 07 2021 07:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I worked at TRU roughly 15 years ago. It still ranks as my favorite job ever, despite some of the rigors of physical stuff that I did that caused injury, namely loading large items into vehicles for customers.

That said, I was a World Leader in the Boy's section and always found a way to pass the long hours when no one was in the store. That was the biggest problem we had, no one was ever there. Outside of weekends, Christmas season and Easter season, we were fortunate to have a dozen people in there store at any time. Even then, it was very difficult to move product. TRU really should have focused on selling bikes, baby clothes and video games... everything else was too niche for most customers. Stuff would sit on shelves until it was clearanced.

Nonetheless, it's too bad they fell so hard, but it's not surprising since we've been seeing it for years.
Reply to topic

Jump to: