"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
SNL Turns 40

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Feb 15 2015 09:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So apparently Saturday Night Live just hit 40 years old last night. Since I haven't cared for the show since the late '90s, you can understand why I missed last night's show. Instead of having a new episode, they instead rebroadcast the very first episode, which was hosted by George Carlin. Did anyone catch it?

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Feb 15 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Can't say that I have, but I haven't been a fan since about the same time you were, so there's that.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 16 2015 02:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What I saw of the special last night during a family party was pretty good, except references to the newer stuff. DVR'ed it, and plan to fast forward through that "Californians" homage. Blech, horrible.
Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Feb 16 2015 04:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I watched the whole thing, and it was wonderful, Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake opened with a song referencing, like everything. They paused to cure Jimmy's fever with cowbell, and were later interrupted by Sister Mary Catherine Gallagher.

The opening monologue had a bunch of stars and featured Paul McCartney and Paul Simon jamming on "I've Just Seen A Face".

Skits included a mediocre Californians, though it ended with Bradley Cooper making out with Betty White; a great Celebrity Jeopardy; one of the best Weekend Updates ever, anchored by Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Jane Curtin and featuring Emma Stone doing her best Roseanne Roseannadanna, and Melissa McCartney as Matt Foley, complete with her tripping and falling through the anchor desk.

Clips included Phil Hartman's Colon Blast, and a tribute to their digital shorts, which included a full Mr. Bill and a full Deep Thoughts with Jack Handey.

There was a beautiful tribute to all of the deceased cast and crew members.

The show ended with Wayne's World and finally Paul Simon performing Still Crazy After All These Years.

Lots more to it, including the return of some classic characters. It was great.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 16 2015 07:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds good, but kinda disappointed that the Weekend Update was such a clambake. I never liked Colin Quinn at the desk, but Kevin Nealon, Dennis Miller, and Norm MacDonald were all super fucking great. I heard that Norm did show up on Celebrity Jeopardy though,
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Feb 16 2015 08:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:
featuring Emma Stone doing her worst Roseanne Roseannadanna

Fixed.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Feb 16 2015 08:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was disappointed they didn't have Sinead O'Connor there to rip up a picture of the new Pope.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Feb 17 2015 09:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah Syd, I always liked MacDonald, Miller and Nealon. I was disappointed, but it was cool to get every lady anchor on.

And Josh, I didn't say it was THE best, but I thought it was a sweet tribute. Nothing beat Melissa McCarthy though.

Also, as much as I love Taylor Swift, I thought she was annoying in The Californians (so I guess she did a good job then?), and my favorite part was Flight Attendant David Spade telling her to beat it

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 17 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I heard that Norm did show up on Celebrity Jeopardy though,

Long live Turd Ferguson.

God I miss Norm.
Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Feb 17 2015 01:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes Burt?

What? Ahhhhhhh that'snotmyname.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 17 2015 06:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:
I was disappointed they didn't have Sinead O'Connor there to rip up a picture of the new Pope.

If Jan Hooks didn't die, they could have had her Sinead O'Connor do it.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Reply to topic

Jump to: