"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
NatGeo to air "The 90s: The Last Great Decade?"

Reply to topic
Vaporman87
Title: Purveyor of Nostalgia
PostPosted: Jul 01 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I mentioned this at Retrodrome and RetroDaze, and figured I should here as well. Looks as though beginning July 6th, NatGeo will air a 3 part series on the 90s. It will be narrated by Rob Lowe (as was the great series The 80's: The Decade That Made Us).

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jul 01 2014 02:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll watch it, as I tend to favor NatGeo's material, but questioning the quality of all future decades in the perception of humanity as a sales-point (or whatever that is in TV terms) is dinkish and demoralizing. Even if they actually really consider that decade as "the last great" one, how is the attitude they're projecting going to help matters? I suppose the question mark leaves some room for optimism though.

The displayed pop culture icons have little to do with the downfall of future decades as much as our poor standing within the context of nature and preserving what balance is left on this wet rock hurling through space. I will admit some belief that the negative pop culture of the time since (Jersey Shore, Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, et al.) can stifle human interaction with not only other humans and dull the senses to the big picture in general while indulging their viewers in pseudo-superiority, but those that succumb to such things would likely be distracted by other happenings of stupidity and outrageous drama anyway.

What the subtitle truly reflects is the passing of icons and beliefs of our generation's childhoods, some kind of televised memorial, in an attempt to hold on to pieces of ourselves we feel we're losing. But we never lose those pieces completely, they become part of the "nurturing" that makes us who we are. This changing of the guard (or aging, as some may call it) is a drawn out and scary process. The older we get, the more difficult change is to accept. If this era was so great anyway, how is the outlook of the future so bleak only around 15 years immediately following it? Did the 90's have nothing to do with today and our future? Is my perception of time less linear than everyone else's?

Humanity: "The 90's are gone. That's it, it's over. There's nothing left for us now but to grow old and die; just like social security, we will outlive our usefulness."

Or, more likely, it's just a doubt-injected rehash of "I Love The 90's."

I'm probably overthinking it all, but jeez, that concept is just such a heavy load. I'll watch it anyway, so they'll benefit regardless of my opinion.

RIP Hacker.

Vaporman87
PostPosted: Jul 01 2014 03:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow. Now that's some deep thought.

But I would say any one of us who were to think as deeply about such things (in my case, inserting the 80's in place of the 90's) would come to the same conclusions.

My kids are likely to feel as though this decade and the one that follows were truly magical, while I sit by and complain pointlessly about how inferior they are.

Even so, I can't help but think humanity was better off without much of what has come about since the 80's. Maybe we are more connected than ever before (thanks to technology)... or are we?

I feel a tinge of disgust every time I see a a couple who might normally be having a natural conversation, instead entranced by their cell phones. And whole groups of teens strolling though malls, doing the same thing. Are we REALLY more connected? I don't feel like it.

My wife and I have imposed a day of fasting from these things on Sunday. Our kids aren't permitted to even play their DSs, and we are not permitted to use our phones or computers for anything online.

We need to come back to reality again. The fact of the matter is, we NEED to suffer through the boredom of waiting in line at the theme park. We NEED to search our thoughts for things to discuss instead of putting our heads in the sand. Everything can't be about being entertained.

Stop... and smell the roses as the saying goes. We need that.

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jul 01 2014 03:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I agree. I just hope a whole generation doesn't have to fall flat on its face for the following one to learn their lesson.

Then again, maybe human adaptability will win out in the end, as it tends to have done. I really can't see the evolutionary benefits of fostering impatience and dulling imaginations though.

As for teenagers, I think they have a long-standing collective history of testing limits (aka perceived stupidty) in that adolescent realm between childhood and adulthood (reality) while trying to find their identity and place in the world. I believe that some will always make it through that transition, even if the ratio diminishes with the modern era of seemingly ubiquitous distractions. It's that much-harped idea of our technology outgrowing our ethics... but as in many cases throughout human history, we may just have to learn the "hard way."

RIP Hacker.

Vaporman87
PostPosted: Jul 01 2014 04:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I certainly hope not... but every year that passes seems to be pulling us that direction (the "hard way").

Regarding our adaptability, that's certainly true. And man, do we need it to be true. Can you imagine someone with no real exposure to technology nowadays trying to get any kind of job that isn't simply manual labor? And even then, there is usually some device that is necessary for communication if nothing else.

I watch my dad clod through Ebay as though it's the Department of Defense's secret network, and think... "How could he ever be expected to run a business in this day and age?" He couldn't. Anyone of any age in the same boat as he is frighteningly out of touch with the way the world works today. Will we reach a point where things are just moving so fast that a mere decade of difference leaves whole swaths of people relegated to jobs or lifestyles that only 10 years before were within reach?

anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Jul 01 2014 05:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cool, I watched the 80's one and enjoyed it for the most part. I'm Canadian and born in '91 so I don't know if they did a great job capturing the 80's (primarily 80's United States) or not, but it was certainly entertaining and brought my attention to a couple things that I had heard a bit about, but hadn't known all of the details in full(ie. the Challenger explosion had a teacher on it that one a contest and i didnt know the latter detail, the kid that fell down the well).

I will definitely check this out, although I do like waiting and watching all of the episodes in a row with this kind of thing.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Vaporman87
PostPosted: Jul 01 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. It's nice to be able to watch all the episodes at your leisure instead of having your interest piqued only to have to wait for the next one. Though with this series they are airing the shows over a 3 night span. Not TOO bad.

anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Jul 03 2014 01:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh I didn't realize that! That's great then,

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Count_Akula
Title: Sir Galahad
PostPosted: Jan 05 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

I clicked on this only because I thought it said something about the Neo-Geo game system. Goddamn ADD! HHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vaporman87
PostPosted: Jan 07 2015 02:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Count_Akula wrote:
I clicked on this only because I thought it said something about the Neo-Geo game system. Goddamn ADD! HHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't it be ironic if the show contained a segment on the Neo-Geo?

Reply to topic

Jump to: