"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Board Game Interest?

Reply to topic
Rogue Hippo
Title: Lone Wolf Hippo
PostPosted: Jan 27 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Do any of you or your friends play board games? Not like Monopoly or Risk but more lengthy, strategic board games?

Here's the reason I ask: I like a lot of social nerd hobbies... video games, Magic The Gathering, RPGs, board games. Well I recently moved across the country and wanted to find some people who share my nerd hobbies. Video games are easy... everyone plays video games. And I started going to Friday Night Magic where half the people played D&D. But absolutely NO ONE plays board games!!

That made me start wondering if it's just not a popular hobby. So do any of you play strategic board games and which ones? I see the occasional Hero Quest post on here but thats about it.

Some of my favorites are Memoir 44 and Conflict of Heroes which are both tactical WW2 games.
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Jan 28 2013 02:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't play board games because most of my friends and family don't want to play them. I just stick to video games.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

Etch
Title: Intermittent Scribbler
PostPosted: Jan 28 2013 04:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

My favorite is still Axis & Allies; more complex than Risk, but still playable in one sitting.

Two I've always wanted to try, though:
Fortress America:

and Twilight Imperium:

It is a waste of politeness to be courteous to the devil ~ William L. Garrison

Fernin
Title: Comic Author
PostPosted: Jan 28 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I play board games every chance I get with my friends. Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, and the Order of the Stick Adventure game are the most common ones, with a bunch that I've only played once or twice. Barbarossa is an interesting one, sort of Pictionary but with clay instead, you create two objects per person out of clay and there's a small board that you go around that you can get points or ask questions about the little sculptures. The Puerto Rico board game is fun, sort of a much more complicated Settlers, in a sense, building up a settled area and using lots of different resource materials. We also do a lot of the smaller card games, like Munchkin, Zombie Fluxx, we've done the Back to the Future card game a couple of times, and the Cthulu dice game (okay, not a card game, but a similar quick thing between the long board games).

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Rogue Hippo
Title: Lone Wolf Hippo
PostPosted: Jan 28 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Axis & Allies is great! My friends and I went through a summer where we played it every day. I've probably played A&A more than any other board game.

My friend's older brother had Fortress America back in high school. I think I played it 3 times. I don't remember much except it had hovertanks and lasers and America always won.

I also have a couple of Munchkin games and they're great when you're in the mood for screwing your friends over!
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jan 29 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not always a long game, but definitely a strategic one I play from time to time is Stratego.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Jan 29 2013 01:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What about good old chess? I play that from time to time, but I suck at it. I played Dark Tower once, and I loved it. I want to play it again and see if I still like it, since it was about 8-9 years ago that I played it.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Jan 29 2013 04:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What's up with all these fancy games? When I was a kid I enjoyed The Game Of Life and Monopoly.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Feb 08 2013 04:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a fan of complex strategy board games, but unfortunately I do not have anyone located where I am that I know that likes to play them, nor do any of the local groups that play them I have found (i.e. meetup.com) seem appealing to play with since they play on like Sunday mornings at a Library. Personally I would rather play at someone's home and have a few beers and snacks while playing, as opposed to being quiet and having less fun.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Feb 08 2013 07:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My friends and I sometimes play Scrabble. Given that the most complicated word of the last game we played was "deus", it can get pretty strategic.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Feb 09 2013 06:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I used to play Carcasonne with a couple of my friends, but we haven't pulled it out in a few years. My Dad and I used to play a lot of chess together every winter. For old times sake, we always play a game or two when I come to visit for Christmas.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Feb 10 2013 04:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
I used to play Carcasonne with a couple of my friends, but we haven't pulled it out in a few years. My Dad and I used to play a lot of chess together every winter. For old times sake, we always play a game or two when I come to visit for Christmas.

In the chat, a few of us play Carcassonne online (a free version of it, anyway, that's about 99% the same as the real thing). We even had a competition a year or two back. You should show up and play us some time. I will destroy you.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

LeshLush
PostPosted: Feb 10 2013 06:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
LeshLush wrote:

In the chat, a few of us play Carcassonne online (a free version of it, anyway, that's about 99% the same as the real thing). We even had a competition a year or two back. You should show up and play us some time. I will destroy you.

I don't doubt it. I haven't played in forever. I appreciate the invite.
mjkefka
PostPosted: Feb 11 2013 06:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ugh you were going to do another carcassonne thingie. what happened?
Reply to topic

Jump to: