"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
WotC rereleases 1st Edition D&D book trio

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jan 26 2012 01:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

WotC's rereleasing the 1st edition Monster Manual, DMG, and PHB for 34.95 with the only major change being a new cover design. Every purchase of the book sends some money toward the Gygax Memorial Fund--established to immortalize the “Father of Roleplaying Games” with a memorial statue in Lake Geneva, WI.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 26 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's kinda neat. I'd like to see Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition republished, as that's the one I grew up playing. I also believe it was the longest running rules set, lasting from 1989-2000.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
LeshLush
PostPosted: Jan 27 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wait, are they rereleasing 1E AD&D, or is it OD&D?
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 27 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Seeing as it's for the Gygax Memorial Fund, my guess would be OD&D.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
LeshLush
PostPosted: Jan 28 2012 01:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

That was my guess as well, but needed to clarify as "1st Edition" usually is a reference to AD&D.

Syd, which second edition did you play, the first 2nd edition or the 90's readjustment of the rules set? I cut my teeth on 2.5 myself.
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jan 28 2012 05:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

I can't find this anywhere....links to sale place? (Not for sale on Amazon I guess?)

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Skinr
Title: Minituae Guru
PostPosted: Feb 23 2012 08:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone have any updates regarding this? Seems kind of interesting...

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Feb 25 2012 04:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Planned release date of April 17th

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/02410000 There ya go.
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Feb 25 2012 06:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I might pick these up, although I have a set of OD&D photocopies which I learned to play with. I also used chits. Yeah, fuck some dice, just pull little random plastic numbers out of an old yahtzee cup.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Feb 26 2012 09:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The more I think about this, the more this sounds like a dumb move for WotC to pull, and we may not be able to find anything about because they've reconsidered.

5E is about to come out, and if there's one thing WotC needs to happen, it's for as many players to support the system and buy the books as possible right from the get-go. If OD&D reprints start coming out at about the same time, they risk having players say, "Well, I just bought the new 1E reprints, and not gonna go shell out for the more books just yet." They'd be competing with themselves, which is not something you want to do if you're trying hard to get one product to dominate the market share.

EDIT: Well, I see now that Sathien has posted a link to the upcoming release, so disregard this post.
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Feb 27 2012 01:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly, I think that's a smart business move. The grognards get what the grognards are clamoring for. Just like when White Wolf decided to start supporting it's oWoD games again, it's actually got the potential to lure more people back to the company. I'm not among them yet, because I thought 1st kinda sucked even when I was playing it, but whatever. And again, I' going to playtest 5e, so who knows, maybe they'll win me back yet.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classic™
PostPosted: May 22 2012 03:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's pretty fucking cool. It also reminds me that I need to pick up the Battletech box, on a side note.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: May 23 2012 04:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Char Aznable wrote:
That's pretty fucking cool. It also reminds me that I need to pick up the Battletech box, on a side note.

Those sell out FAST, and they can't do new runs fast enough. If you see one snag it pronto!

Catalyst has been doing a lot to keep the franchise moving forward, seems like they crank out a new source book every month or two. I've been breaking bank to stay caught up, because they're not just wrapping up the Word Of Blake Jihad that ran for a ton of source books and moving forward in to the Dark Age timeline that Whizkids left them with, they're also fleshing out a lot of older eras that didn't get a lot of traction so they can appeal to the Grognards, like The Age Of War, the The Reunification War that founded the Star League, The Founding Of The Clans in Operation Klondike, The Amaris Civil War that sundered the Star League, plus putting out new source books for stuff like the War of 3039, the Clan Invasion, and the Fedcom Civil War, all stuff that you need to either have the old books for, or track them down on eBay. PLUS full reissues of ALL the old Technical Readouts with new Errata and better art, PLUS brand spanking new Technical Readouts and Faction Handbooks!

All in all it's a great time to be a Battletech fan, but it's also an expensive time to be a fan, and that's before you start factoring in the new modular Hexpack board system and it's continual updates and the metal crack addiction of miniatures, that is also ever expanding.

OH almost forgot, the full color Hardback ruleset of 5 books has a last book coming out, so on top of Battletech, Construction Rules, Tactical Operations, Strategic Operations AND A Time Of War the RPG they're working on Interstellar Operations, which basically lets you pan back all the way from mech on mech battles to a RISK style game where you control an entire Successor State or Clan or other faction.

Reply to topic

Jump to: