"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
What are you reading?

Reply to topic
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Aug 04 2011 09:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

I thought I would make this topic so we can share what we are currently reading and discuss it if we so choose. I shall begin.

I have just finished reading Shike by Robert Shea. It is a two volume novel about a warrior monk and his adventures in Japan set around the time of the Mongols rise to power in Asia. I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone who likes action and historical settings(although they do take some liberties there).

It is available to download for free as an ebook as it was released under the Creative Commons license. If you are interested , check it out.

http://www.manybooks.net/titles/shearother08shike.html

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Aug 04 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

I am currently reading Carnival of Fear by Robert King. Part of the Ravenloft series of books. I read them all in high school, and have been buying them in second stores as I find them.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Tomdincan
Title: Test Icicle
PostPosted: Aug 04 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

Baudolino, by Umberto Eco. It's narrated by the title character in flashback form during the Fourth Crusade about his journey to locate the Kingdom of Prester John in the east.

I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Aug 05 2011 03:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Aug 05 2011 06:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

A book about Tarot Cards. I'm very lazy so i don't know if i will ever finish it.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Aug 05 2011 06:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

I just finished the Prodigal Son and Dracula, now I'm going to start up either Don Quixote or Dante's Inferno.
Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Aug 05 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm reading A Dance With Dragons at the moment, signed by George RR Martin himself.
BlazingGlory
Title: KANE LIVES IN DEATH!
PostPosted: Aug 05 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm currently attempting to read the Stainless Steel Rat series in chronological order. I say attempting not because the books are hard reads, but because it's a freaking long series of books.
Slayer1 wrote:
I just finished the Prodigal Son and Dracula, now I'm going to start up either Don Quixote or Dante's Inferno.

Both of those are great books. Out of curiosity, will you be reading Don Quixote in English or Spanish? I've heard that a few things didn't quite make it through translation. Also, will you go with one of the illustrated versions of Dante's inferno?
Teralyx
Title: Master Exploder
PostPosted: Aug 05 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fuck books.

<TheFlamingSchnitzel> Didn't your mom teach you not to punch girls?
<FigNewton> I was too busy /punchin' her/

Slayer1
PostPosted: Aug 05 2011 02:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

BlazingGlory wrote:
Slayer1 wrote:

Both of those are great books. Out of curiosity, will you be reading Don Quixote in English or Spanish? I've heard that a few things didn't quite make it through translation. Also, will you go with one of the illustrated versions of Dante's inferno?

For Don Quixote, I'm going do the English version, but on my Kindle it has footnotes and references.
Dante's Inferno I've got for my Kindle as well, so I can't get any illustrations on it. Am I missing out?
Blackout
PostPosted: Aug 06 2011 05:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

ToGdor wrote:
Fuck books.

Man librarians hate that, you know how embarrassing it is getting banned from the Public Library?

Anybody ever read the Positronic Man? It's an old Asimov book that they based Bicentennial Man off of, pretty rad book if you ask me.

Slayer1
PostPosted: Aug 06 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:

Anybody ever read the Positronic Man? It's an old Asimov book that they based Bicentennial Man off of, pretty rad book if you ask me.

I always enjoyed "The Last Question" by Asimov.
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Aug 06 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

I am thinking of reading Cradle by Arthur C. Clarke and Gentry Lee, White Ninja by Eric V. Lustbader or The Death Gate Cycle of books by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I have not yet decided and wanted to see if anyone here has read them and could recommend which one I start next.

BlazingGlory
PostPosted: Aug 06 2011 06:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Slayer1 wrote:
BlazingGlory wrote:
Slayer1 wrote:

For Don Quixote, I'm going do the English version, but on my Kindle it has footnotes and references.
Dante's Inferno I've got for my Kindle as well, so I can't get any illustrations on it. Am I missing out?

Ah, well as far as Dante's Inferno goes, it really depends on how much you personally get out of pictures. I love reading myself, but sometimes a visual aid can help put things in perspective and long reads can be made a little less daunting when you realize that some of those pages are nothing more than a nice picture of what's going on. This is sort of how I got through the Lord of the Rings trilogy. No offence to anyone but those books can get painfully boring at parts (not including the Hobbit of course).
But getting back on track, you mostly miss out on a visual representation of the torture going on around Dante and Virgil.
Also, I have another question, will you be reading the whole Divine Comedy or just the Inferno?
Slayer1
PostPosted: Aug 06 2011 09:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm reading Inferno now and seeing how it fares for me. If I like it, I'll move on with Purgatorio and Paradiso.
BlazingGlory
PostPosted: Aug 06 2011 09:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Slayer1 wrote:
I'm reading Inferno now and seeing how it fares for me. If I like it, I'll move on with Purgatorio and Paradiso.

Good luck with those two. They aren't as hard as reading a Herman Melville book, but I felt they were much tough to read than the Inferno.
Slayer1
PostPosted: Aug 06 2011 09:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

BlazingGlory wrote:
Slayer1 wrote:

Good luck with those two. They aren't as hard as reading a Herman Melville book, but I felt they were much tough to read than the Inferno.

Haha thanks for the heads up man!
Tomdincan
Title: Test Icicle
PostPosted: Aug 06 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

BlazingGlory wrote:
They aren't as hard as reading a Herman Melville book

QFT. "Call me Ishmael" is the only line of Melville that doesn't bore the shit out of me.

I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath.

BlazingGlory
PostPosted: Aug 06 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tomdincan wrote:
BlazingGlory wrote:
They aren't as hard as reading a Herman Melville book

QFT. "Call me Ishmael" is the only line of Melville that doesn't bore the shit out of me.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who's come to the conclusion that Melville was a vitriolic and honestly rather creepy guy who seems to have written his books by devouring dictionaries and vomiting the contents onto paper.

But to get back on topic. I've decided to reread Stranger in a Strange Land.
Blackout
PostPosted: Aug 07 2011 03:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

If you don't want to slog through the original Larry Niven wrote an adaptation of Dante's Inferno that is pretty rad.

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Aug 07 2011 04:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm reading a Dance with Dragons right now primarily. I've recently read the whole series and as good as the show is, I couldn't wait to find out what happens next. I'm also about to start rereading all the Harry Potter books, because I just watched the final movie and I feel like I need to give the series another read for all the entertainment that it has provided for me as a send off. Then I might reread Hitchhiker's guide since it has been a year since I read that whole series or start on some of the books in my recommendations thread if I have enough money to buy them at the time.

Seriously though I'm usually reading 3 books alongside each other and choose the one best suiting my mood that day. This Kindle has been a great gift.
Slayer1
PostPosted: Aug 07 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
If you don't want to slog through the original Larry Niven wrote an adaptation of Dante's Inferno that is pretty rad.

I'll have to look that up. Yeah, after I'm done with Inferno, I'm giving up on the Divine Comedy. It's alright but just isn't settling with me. I'm only finishing it because I've always wanted to read it, but the next one I'm going to read is The Outlaws of the Marsh.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Aug 08 2011 11:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:

Hey Blackout, if I wanted to start reading some Battletech novels, what would be the first one you recommend I start with? I played Earthsiege the other day and I got the itch for some giant mech action.

brellow
PostPosted: Aug 08 2011 06:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just read Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, right before that I read Cities in Flight.

Photobucket

Vaenamoenen
PostPosted: Aug 09 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

ToGdor wrote:
Fuck books.

I've been thinking about reading that as well! Was it any good?
Reply to topic

Jump to: