SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Terry Pratchett and Discworld

Reply to topic
Alowishus
PostPosted: Aug 14 2010 07:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What do you guys thing of Pratchett and Discworld?

I bought the first first discworld book a while ago (The color of Magic) and i wasn't all that impressed.. i had played some of the games and had enjoyed what i played so i thought the book was worth a stab.

I like the whole inventiveness about the world he has created but the book just isn't funny.

You know the case of where you buy/read/watch etc. something and you want to like it so bad and you just can't bring yourself to.

This is an example of it for me.

I think i laughed once.. It's entertaining to read but it's not funny and that is what the books were written to be.

Maybe i should give the books another shot, what do you think?
Sehkmaenzo
PostPosted: Aug 14 2010 07:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I love the discworld books, specially the ones with Rincewind and Death. Funny, I was thinking about them recently Because of the philosophical article. (They have a similar discussion about that, arguing that the arrows would never reach the turtles they were shooting Razz )
They are the go-to book if you want to get started on reading for fun (They are easy to read and fun enough to keep you going).
Alowishus
PostPosted: Aug 14 2010 08:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sehkmaenzo wrote:
Yeah I love the discworld books, specially the ones with Rincewind and Death. Funny, I was thinking about them recently Because of the philosophical article. (They have a similar discussion about that, arguing that the arrows would never reach the turtles they were shooting Razz )
They are the go-to book if you want to get started on reading for fun (They are easy to read and fun enough to keep you going).
##

Yeah the philosophical stuff like that is enjoyable to read, which is why i think it's good story telling but i see the jokes and think they aren't funny.
LowEndLem
Title: Not Gay
PostPosted: Aug 16 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

So far, in Discworld, my favorite characters are the City Watch and Moist von Lipwig

<docinsano>i beat off using save states

<Tako> But, brontosaurs ate plants. It wouldn't be a threat to Jesus.

Why? Fuck you, that's why.

Good Mark
PostPosted: Aug 29 2010 01:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:
What do you guys thing of Pratchett and Discworld?

I bought the first first discworld book a while ago (The color of Magic) and i wasn't all that impressed.. i had played some of the games and had enjoyed what i played so i thought the book was worth a stab.

I like the whole inventiveness about the world he has created but the book just isn't funny.

You know the case of where you buy/read/watch etc. something and you want to like it so bad and you just can't bring yourself to.

This is an example of it for me.

I think i laughed once.. It's entertaining to read but it's not funny and that is what the books were written to be.

Maybe i should give the books another shot, what do you think?
The earlier books in the DW series aren't as good as the ones from "Guards!, Guards!" and onwards IMO. Pratchett didn't really set the time-line in stone until GG, the earlier books contain canon errors and characters that aren't very well realised (controversially, I consider Rincewind a shallow, weak character) as well as less sophisticated humour and plots. Try "Small Gods"; it's an excellent read that doesn't require you to have read any of the other books to understand (I think that it's one of the best stand-alone books in the series).
Sehkmaenzo wrote:
Yeah I love the discworld books, specially the ones with Rincewind and Death.
Death is pretty much my favorite character also (Reaper Man is one of my top-five TP books). : )
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Aug 29 2010 01:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoy discworld. death is an amusing character.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jul 07 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.nadwcon.org/
The North American Discworld Convention

Anyone familiar with Munchkin can also get their hands on this one-off card:

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Reply to topic

Jump to: