[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
things that piss you off in sports

Reply to topic
Sexton Hardcastle
Title: The Supreme Element
PostPosted: Nov 05 2009 01:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
How could you blame them? They have Sanchise!

This Is A Joke

Get rid of that "Joke" image and you actually sound like a legitimate Jets fan a few weeks ago. They were all confident in a Super Bowl appearance once Edwards came over to help him out.
Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Nov 05 2009 09:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

I can't believe people still care about Baseball. Hasn't it been a joke for like 15 years now?

And yeah, I'm with you there Sexton. It was a short 3 weeks ago when the East Coast was screaming about a "Subway Super Bowl" until the Jets fell back to Earth and the G-men dropped three in a row. Sports shaudenfreude is always satisfying.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 05 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bill Simmons.

I saw Bill Simmons on a Colbert Report replay a few weeks ago and he was asked about baseball. In response, he wondered out loud if any under 50 actually cared about baseball. Fuck you, Simmons. What the fuck do you watch, Simmons? Basketballl? The game where you can skip everything except the last five minutes and not miss a goddam thing? Yeah, that's WAY cooler.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Rydog
Title: Dragon Slayer
PostPosted: Nov 05 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Come on, you can't take Simmons seriously, he's just trying to push his book. He writes one of the better sports columns around, and he's from Boston.

But your basketball point is spot on, every fucking game is tied with 3 minutes left and then it take 90 minutes to play the last 3 minutes of the game because they use timeouts between every single play. Seriously, you need a timeout every single play to tell the team to get the ball to superstar X?
Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Nov 05 2009 01:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, basketball is pretty lame in that regard. The only American sport really worth following anymore is the NFL. What pisses me off is that the big reason for that is the parity made possible by the salary cap, which might become a thing of the past. I'm not at all excited for next season being "uncapped."
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 05 2009 01:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

See, I like baseball and football a lot. Football is kind of like an RTS, and not unlike warfare. Baseball, on the other hand, is the only professional American sport without a clock, the only one where strategy is not dictated by a timer. It's also the only game where a team can rally back from a seeming blowout at any given point and win. In football, if you're down 38-3 in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter, there is mathematically no way you can win. You are fucked, and you might as well stop trying. In baseball, you can be trailing 7-1 going into the bottom of the 9th and still win. Every single pitch, every single swing of the bat, is another chance to shift the momentum in your team's favor. It is not always the most exciting sport to watch, but it's awesomeness nonetheless.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Nov 05 2009 01:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
See, I like baseball and football a lot. Football is kind of like an RTS, and not unlike warfare. Baseball, on the other hand, is the only professional American sport without a clock, the only one where strategy is not dictated by a timer. It's also the only game where a team can rally back from a seeming blowout at any given point and win. In football, if you're down 38-3 in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter, there is mathematically no way you can win. You are fucked, and you might as well stop trying. In baseball, you can be trailing 7-1 going into the bottom of the 9th and still win. Every single pitch, every single swing of the bat, is another chance to shift the momentum in your team's favor. It is not always the most exciting sport to watch, but it's awesomeness nonetheless.

That's the one thing I really enjoy about baseball. Not enough to make me an appointment viewer like I am with hockey or football, but I certainly understand the appeal. And actually, watching this World Series and rooting for the Yanks for my friend has actually piqued my interest far higher than it's ever been. I just wish I understood more of the strategy involved. That would make it a lot more fun and far less boring.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Nov 05 2009 02:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
But your basketball point is spot on, every fucking game is tied with 3 minutes left and then it take 90 minutes to play the last 3 minutes of the game because they use timeouts between every single play. Seriously, you need a timeout every single play to tell the team to get the ball to superstar X?

you can say that about any sport w/a clock

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Rydog
PostPosted: Nov 05 2009 04:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I suppose, I think what actually pisses me off is the constant timeouts. The last few minutes have zero flow after watching 45 minutes of a fast paced sport.
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Nov 05 2009 08:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What pisses me off is that you almost absolutely need to be at least 6 feet tall to be in the NBA.
Sexton Hardcastle
PostPosted: Nov 05 2009 08:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pandajuice wrote:
Yeah, basketball is pretty lame in that regard. The only American sport really worth following anymore is the NFL. What pisses me off is that the big reason for that is the parity made possible by the salary cap, which might become a thing of the past. I'm not at all excited for next season being "uncapped."

You and me both Panda. My favorite aspect of the NFL (other than the sport of football itself) is that you never know who the great teams are going to be from year to year. I'm incredibly skeptical and worried about an "uncapped" year.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Nov 05 2009 08:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lavalarva wrote:
What pisses me off is that you almost absolutely need to be at least 6 feet tall to be in the NBA.

Take it easy Pee Wee, we can't all be Philistines. Smile
Rydog
PostPosted: Nov 05 2009 09:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sexton Hardcastle wrote:
Pandajuice wrote:

You and me both Panda. My favorite aspect of the NFL (other than the sport of football itself) is that you never know who the great teams are going to be from year to year. I'm incredibly skeptical and worried about an "uncapped" year.

I think the NFL will be okay as long as the uncapped crap is limited to only one season. I really don't think that every team is going to go nuts and add 50-60 million in payroll, a few owners such as Jerry Jones, are sure to go out and grab a luxury player or two that they couldn't get previously but for the most part it should be business as usual. The smart teams know that the cap will be back and won't want future problems, the shitty teams shouldn't be spending big money on a few names when the whole roster needs improvement, all in all I don't foresee a "Yankee" football team outside of Dallas and Washington.
username
PostPosted: Nov 19 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

dick vitale. i hate how he is always on duke's nuts and north carolina. he knows what he talks about somewhat, but he is so fucking biased.

Klimbatize wrote:

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Nov 21 2009 08:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

George Laraque somehow finding a way to get 2 penalties on the same play and earning 6 minutes of penalty against the fucking Red Wings.
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Nov 27 2009 09:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The NHL being incredibly lenient with cheap shots. There are a shitload of injured players right now, and assholes checking other players in the head barely get suspended 3 matches.

If it's obvious a player pulled shit like that intentionnally, it should be 10 matches minimum, and up to a season ban if they do it multiple times.

The junior league in Ontario did it, why not the fucking NHL?
Sexton Hardcastle
PostPosted: Nov 28 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

lavalarva wrote:
The NHL being incredibly lenient with cheap shots. There are a shitload of injured players right now, and assholes checking other players in the head barely get suspended 3 matches.

If it's obvious a player pulled shit like that intentionnally, it should be 10 matches minimum, and up to a season ban if they do it multiple times.

Couldn't agree more. The worst part is you know they aren't going to do anything about it until some one gets A) Seriously injured or B) A Big name player like Sidney Crosby gets injured from it.
pineapple
PostPosted: Nov 28 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Nov 28 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sexton Hardcastle wrote:
lavalarva wrote:

Couldn't agree more. The worst part is you know they aren't going to do anything about it until some one gets A) Seriously injured or B) A Big name player like Sidney Crosby gets injured from it.

Something else too : Alexander Ovechkin. That guy is an awesome player, but he's also dealing quite a few cheap shots. Of course, he's never suspended.
He needs to either stop acting like an asshole, or get a suspension eventually, or both. Otherwise, other players might get tired of his crap, and charge him, possibly injuring him.
username
PostPosted: Nov 29 2009 05:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fucking FOX. The last 2 minutes of a good eagles/redskins game, and they switch it over to the stupid cardinals/titans game.

Klimbatize wrote:

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Nov 29 2009 09:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Alouettes starting the Grey Cup game by being incredibly shitty, while they were 15-3 in the regular season and completely destroyed the Lions in the East final.

The attack is 1st in the league, and all they've done up to now is gain about 20 yards and fumble the ball twice. Meanwhile, the kicker keeps punting out of bounds.

They need to pull their shit together in the second half because for now it's really fucking depressing.

EDIT : HOLY FUCKING SHIT. They were losing 27-11 with 10 minutes left. Touchdown + 2-point conversion at about 7 minutes.
Interception (I think) on the Riders possession.
Touchdown with 3 minutes left. 2-point conversion failed. 27-25.
They go with a punt instead of an onside kick.
The defense manage to contain the Riders for 2 plays and force them to punt with 0:57 left.
10 seconds left, 2nd and 10 at the C line (55). Pass caught at the 34 with 0:04 left.

44 yards field goal attempt : Missed to the right. No time left. Riders start to celebrate.
BUT! penalty to the Riders for having too many men on the field. They had 12 near the line of scrimmage, but they had a 13th player in the endzone to return a failed field goal. 10 yards penalty.
At 0:00, Damon Duval scores a 34-yards field goal. Alouettes win 28-27.

THAT. WAS. FREAKING. AWESOME!!!
Rydog
PostPosted: Nov 30 2009 01:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like a kick ass end...you have 12 men on the field in Canada Football?
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Nov 30 2009 01:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
Sounds like a kick ass end...you have 12 men on the field in Canada Football?

The field is bigger (110 yards by 65 yards, with a 20 yards endzone), so there are twelve men. The twelfth is in the backfield, I think as a slotback.

There are quite a few other differences, so just go here if you're interested : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canadian_and_American_football

EDIT : Found a video with the last 10 seconds of the game.

Rydog
PostPosted: Nov 30 2009 02:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You know what is fucking retarded? Why the hell are they even putting effort into returning a missed field goal with NO time left AND the lead??? If a coach sent that player to field a missed FG, he needs to be fired.

Save that fact that they only get three downs, the Canadian Game is very much geared toward offense. I just skimmed through the rule differences, and I am surprised at how much is different. Which style do you prefer lava? NFL or CFL?
Doddsino
PostPosted: Nov 30 2009 02:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
dick vitale. i hate how he is always on duke's nuts and north carolina. he knows what he talks about somewhat, but he is so fucking biased.

"TAKE IT TO THE LANE BAY-BEE!!!!"
Reply to topic

Jump to: