7/20/2005

A new comic and an old petition

Filed under: Stuff — Syd Lexia @ 10:43 pm

For anyone who cares, Part 15 of the NES Drinking Saga is now up on the Comics page. On a sadder note, the Michael Bower Needs Work petition has yet to collect even 100 signatures. Let’s see if we can amend this situation in a timely fashion.

• Posted by Tebor on July 20th, 2005 at 11:23 pm

“Also, I’m going to fuck your best female friend.”

Just for future reference, the best way to get people to read dialogue in the correct order is not only left to right, but top to bottom. So the first thing you read in an American comic better be top left to bottom right.

This comic is the most awesome piece of comic ever written… what…

• Posted by Valdronius on July 21st, 2005 at 12:23 am

Call me crazy, but I don’t think …ZZZ! is a viable answer to a Yes/No question. And I’ll be damned if “behind the kirby” ever becomes a real phrase.

Did I ever tell you guys about the time my friend and I gouged out the eye of a magic 8 ball just to see what was inside? Aside from a lot of blue liquid, we discovered the secret of the magic 8 ball is a die 20. I guess the monotony of only having 8 responses outweighed the novelty of using an 8-sided die.

• Posted by Syd Lexia on July 21st, 2005 at 12:39 am

I do know how a comic *should* read, but unfortunately it isn’t always possible. These days most reasonable people are using at least 1024 x 768 resolution. In order for the comic to fit in a browser window along with the vertical scrollbar, its length can’t exceed 1000 pixels. So while I can easily make the dialogue in the comics read left to right, it’s sometimes impossible to get it to read top to bottom as well. I’m surprised that I haven’t received any complaints yet that the fonts are hard to read, because that has been a bitch too. I have had to darken some of the outdoor photos by as much as 20% so that the overlaid fonts would be readable.

The sad truth is that I can’t please everyone. Just the other day, Lenoard da Vinci rose from the grave and asked me to redo the comics so that they would read from right to left like his famous notebook. Needless to say, I had to turn him down. He also wanted me to warn the world that Dan Brown’s book The Da Vinci Code is highly inaccurate and boring. While I don’t necessarily disagree, I told him that I don’t really like to involve myself in things that took place after 1995. So now he totally hates me. :(

• Posted by S. McCracken on July 21st, 2005 at 1:34 pm

Dude, you’re just lucky he didn’t take his trusty kitana and slice your sassy ass to kingdom-come. Or to TMNT III: Turtles In Time, which would have sucked just as hard.

• Posted by Tebor on July 24th, 2005 at 3:17 am

Wasn’t TMNT IV for the SNES the Turtles in Time game? Or did you mean the movie, with awesome history accuracy and authentic costumes?

• Posted by Syd Lexia on July 24th, 2005 at 6:21 am

I would assume he meant the movie, since it was the third TMNT movie. The 3rd Ninja Turtle NES game was called The Manhattan Project or something like that.

• Posted by Tebor on July 25th, 2005 at 5:18 pm

Hey, man, I was surfing through the archieves to find old news stories to steal and I saw that you were going to have a feature called Mailbag about the spam you recieve in your email. What happened to that?

• Posted by Syd Lexia on July 25th, 2005 at 6:03 pm

I did do it once, because I was getting spam and I was pretty pissed about it. The site didn’t properly launch until 11/03/04 and within 2 months I was receiving three or four spam e-mails a day. It was was rather depressing too, because I wasn’t getting any ‘real’ e-mails back then. The worst part was that at the time my SydLexia.com e-mail address had never been used for anything outside of the site; it appeared at the end of all my articles and that was it. So to vent my frustration at the fact that I was getting stupid spam, I did a fake mailbag. More established sites often respond to reader e-mails in a mailbag format and I thought it would be funny to do the same thing with the trojans I was being sent. Also, I had a cool idea for a Super Mario Bros. 3 spoof.

I had never intended to do a recurring commentary on the junk mail I get. The problem with unsolicited e-mail is that you get the same stupid scams over and over again. Sometimes they’re worded slightly differently, sometimes the only difference is the subject header. When I titled the piece Mailbag #1, I was leaving it open for an implied sequel that I never explicitly planned to deliver, like what Mel Brooks did with History of the World: Part I. But if I ever get enough real e-mails where I can do actual mailbags on a regular basis, I will.