5/20/2005

Filed under: Stuff — Syd Lexia @ 8:55 pm

After an extended absence due to sickness and work, I’m back with the Spring Cleaning Crapstravaganza. This is actually last week’s article, so I hope to have another one up tomorrow too.

• Posted by Valdronius on May 20th, 2005 at 9:37 pm

Ah, that broguht back a few memories.
    Though, if you think writing down games codes was bad, my friends and I used
    to gamble for game codes.
    I got the shaft when it came to Hallowe’en costumes. I had a skeleton one year,
    though I think I got G.I. Joe another…. oh well.

Alright, 10,000 Whose Line points, (British, not American), to the person who can tell
    me what NES game this code is from. (I remember it to this day).

B,A,B,A,Up,Down,B,A,Left,Right,B,A

• Posted by Syd Lexia on May 20th, 2005 at 10:44 pm

Is that Super C? I remember the Super C code was definitely SOME variant of the Contra code and you only got ten lives instead of 30.

• Posted by Valdronius on May 20th, 2005 at 11:17 pm

Nope. The Super C code was simpler than the Contra counterpart.
    It was Up,Down,Left,Right,B,A I believe.
    It also had a code for a sound test, though I can’t quite remember. Down and Select maybe…?
    Super C was one of two games I owned for NES.

• Posted by doodoobrova on May 21st, 2005 at 9:41 pm

Man I had those Transformers pajamas. They were so sick, one year my Dad made a helmet and shit that looked just like Optimus and I got to be a kickass Prime. Not that cheap ass mask that came with it either, this was quality.

• Posted by Tebor on May 22nd, 2005 at 12:20 am

I still have my Batman and Superman costume/pajamas from when I was in preschool. Considering I want a new Superman costume which costs $100, I wish they still fit. I couldn’t believe the scary stories book is on your list. I have the anthology on my shelf RIGHT NOW! Those pictures were damn creepy.

BTW, I was that Bobby who stole your Mr. Hyde game… just kidding. I knew a kid like that named Mark… I forget his last name but he needs to die too. And then there’s Mujataba with my walkie talkie! He’s in Texas so I’ll hunt his @$$ down one day.

• Posted by Valdronius on May 22nd, 2005 at 10:57 pm

Is there a story in the Scary Stories book about a woman who always wore a neck sash,
    but tells her husband she can’t tell him why she wears it, and then on her death bed
    she tells him to remove the neck sash, so he does and her head falls off?

• Posted by S. McCracken on May 23rd, 2005 at 1:51 pm

Bobby Huber was a complete cockmongrel but his sister had a huge rack.

Matt Furrier stole a bunch of my games when we were in elementary school. That kid’s a dicksmack, too. And there’s a good possibility he could choke on Huber’s semen as well.

I wouldn’t have minded getting stranded on a tropical island in fifth grade. You had Mr. Sinclair and I was stuck with Shea the She-Man, not to mention Ms. Walker for math.

That code is for one of the best games ever…TMNT.

I had that Vanna White poster too, but mine ended up with too many holes in it and I had to throw it away. I may or may not be kidding.

• Posted by Syd Lexia on May 23rd, 2005 at 4:52 pm

Sadly no, that story did not appear in any of the Scary Stories compilations. The story appeared in another Alvin Schwartz compilation called In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories as “The Green Ribbon”. That book was illustrated by the far less creepy Dirk Zimmer. Another variation of the story appeared in book Tales for the Midnight Hour by J.B. Stamper as “The Black Velvet Ribbon”. I prefer the Stamper version. A green ribbon is just tacky.

As for Ms. Shea, she actually got married somehow. My sister had her last year, but fuck if I remember what her new last name is. I think that may have been her retirement year too.

• Posted by Valdronius on May 24th, 2005 at 1:45 am

Eh, close enough Mr. McCracken. It was TMNT2. But I applaud your trivia knowledge
    all the same and award you 7000 of the points. Don’t spend them all in one place.

They read The Green Ribbon to us in grade 2. It scared the crap out of me.

• Posted by S. McCracken on May 24th, 2005 at 10:35 am

Ms. Shea’s new name is Smith. Yes, the most boring woman ever getting the most boring name ever. How apropos.

I think that’s how apropos is spelled.

Yeah, it was TMNT2, my bad. Still an awesome game but I preferred the original.

• Posted by Syd Lexia on May 24th, 2005 at 8:46 pm

I don’t know… TMNT2 was a port of the TMNT arcade game which was a lot of fun. The original TMNT NES game was fun too, but it was also fucking impossible. That damn underwater level where you had to diffuse the bombs made me shut off my Nintendo in frustration on more than one occasion.

• Posted by S. McCracken on May 25th, 2005 at 10:46 am

TMNT2 was no picnic, either. You had to stand in the middle of the screen for fear of being run over by some punked-out retard on a piece-of-shit crotch rocket or a low rider.

I would kill for Nintendo if they updated both the TMNT games and put them out for Gamecube or the Revolution…minus that fucking bomb level. I almost threw my controller through the tv screen on quite a few occasions.

• Posted by Tebor on May 28th, 2005 at 12:00 am

I could never get past the third level in TMNT. Where the hell do you have to go! They put the levels in the insturction guide just to mock you.

“The Green Ribbon” is a horribly freaky story. Knowing there’s a better version out that just guaranteed a book sale. I thought the drawings in “Dark Room” were much freakier than in “Scary Stories” might just be me as I read “Dark Room” way before “Scary Stories”.

• Posted by Valdronius on May 28th, 2005 at 3:27 am

Hmmm, I think Syd should do an article on the first TMNT game.
    I spent a lot of time with this game, and while the bomb-disarming level
    was a bitch, there was one corridor in the technodrome that was full
    of guys with jetpacks and laser guns. So if you didn’t have Donatello or
    a fist full of boomerangs, you were screwed. Actually, come to think of it,
    if you didn’t have Donatello at any point in the game you were screwed.
    I always did the underwater level with Michealangelo, because he was useless.
    Even Raphael was good for killing those damned mosquitoes, if nothing else.