"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
(Un)OFFICIAL MMA DISCUSSION THREAD

Reply to topic
eddieh4444
Title: Doctor of Science
PostPosted: Jul 02 2009 02:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

I noticed that there are a few MMA fans here so I was wondering, who are you guys picking for UFC 100?
-Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir
-Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves
-Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping
-Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago
-Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher

--My picks are Mir, GSP, Henderson, Fitch, and Akiyama.

****edited to become an MMA Discussion thread so we don't have to make a new one for every event, feel free to discuss big boxing cards as well****
Bouya
Title: Delinquent
PostPosted: Jul 02 2009 01:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fingers crossed for Brock being permanently disabled.
Deadmau_5pra
Title: Amatuer film/podcaster
PostPosted: Jul 02 2009 09:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

-bjork- wrote:
Fingers crossed for Brock being permanently disabled.

QFT.

But I perfer World Extreme Cagefighting because they focus on the lower weight classes.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jul 02 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not Huge into UFC but we are watching it next weekend at me buddies house. I don't want to but I have to go with Brock, simply because he is a boulder of a man when I have seen him fight. Should be an interesting fight I want to see one of them get knocked the fuck out.

Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves
Taking Georges

-Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping
Dan Henderson

-Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago
Jon Fitch

-Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher
Don't know who they are but I'll go with Yoshi because he sounds cooler.

This was brought to you by the NFL Playoff champion that picked Arizona up until the Championship game. I should have gone with my gut. Wink

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Jul 03 2009 03:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

UFC seriously needs to take on the Pro Wrestling way of naming events... UFC # is just boring.

I predict the winners will be the bookies and loser being Brock Lesnar.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Jul 03 2009 04:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ghandi wrote:
UFC seriously needs to take on the Pro Wrestling way of naming events... UFC # is just boring.

I don't know about Pro Wrestling style names but the number system certainly seems a bit worn out. You have to remember though that MMA (such as the UFC) is not professional wrestling. It is a legitimate combat sport more in the ilk of pro boxing or kickboxing.

For you guys saying that you hope Brock is 'permanently disabled', do you mean seriously injured? Although I am by no means a Lesnar fan, I certainly do not wish an injury upon him and I think you should reconsider what you said seeing as he will be participating in a contest that could actually end in a very serious injury (God forbid).

As for myself, I am really looking forward to UFC 100 and I think that this could potentially be one of the best PPVs that MMA has had in a while.
Chile Guy
Title: Token Latino Otaku
PostPosted: Jul 03 2009 06:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Pro Wrestling even names are usually more fancy and clever-ish, like "TNA Hard Justice", or "PWU Cold Day In Hell", just saying.

Anyways, how many times has Brock defended the World Heavyweight title before? I haven't saw him defending it since he won the title from Randy Couture.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Jul 03 2009 03:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Chile Guy wrote:
Pro Wrestling even names are usually more fancy and clever-ish, like "TNA Hard Justice", or "PWU Cold Day In Hell", just saying.

Anyways, how many times has Brock defended the World Heavyweight title before? I haven't saw him defending it since he won the title from Randy Couture.

This would be his first defense.
Deadmau_5pra
PostPosted: Jul 04 2009 03:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
Ghandi wrote:

I don't know about Pro Wrestling style names but the number system certainly seems a bit worn out. You have to remember though that MMA (such as the UFC) is not professional wrestling. It is a legitimate combat sport more in the ilk of pro boxing or kickboxing.

For you guys saying that you hope Brock is 'permanently disabled', do you mean seriously injured? Although I am by no means a Lesnar fan, I certainly do not wish an injury upon him and I think you should reconsider what you said seeing as he will be participating in a contest that could actually end in a very serious injury (God forbid).

As for myself, I am really looking forward to UFC 100 and I think that this could potentially be one of the best PPVs that MMA has had in a while.

The other PPV's haven't been so good?

As for Brock Lesnar, I wanna see him get knocked the F out, because he just annoys me, as for seriously injured...maybe getting a couple teeth knocked out.

-Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir : Frank Mir

-Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves : Alves

-Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping : Undecided

-Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago : Fitch

-Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher: Belcher

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Jul 04 2009 04:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SpraCoalee wrote:

The other PPV's haven't been so good?

As for Brock Lesnar, I wanna see him get knocked the F out, because he just annoys me, as for seriously injured...maybe getting a couple teeth knocked out.

-Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir : Frank Mir

-Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves : Alves

-Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping : Undecided

-Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago : Fitch

-Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher: Belcher

No, the other PPVs have been fine just that this one has enough big fights to potentially be a very good card.
Deadmau_5pra
PostPosted: Jul 11 2009 03:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well I get to see the PPV tonight with some of the guys , I seriously think this is gonna make UFC blow up even more.

Also is it true Strikeforce gonna be on CBS/NBC? in the fall? Am is that old news?

Go Frank Mir!

Chile Guy
Title: Token Latino Otaku
PostPosted: Jul 11 2009 06:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They're gonna air the Lesnar vs. Mir fight for free in my country! Hooray!

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jul 12 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fuck lesnar

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Deadmau_5pra
PostPosted: Jul 12 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
Fuck lesnar

Agreed. That was a real dick move he pulled.

Henderson KO'D that asshole Bisping.

USA! USA! USA!

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jul 12 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

SpraCoalee wrote:
username wrote:
Fuck lesnar

Agreed. That was a real dick move he pulled.

Henderson KO'D that asshole Bisping.

USA! USA! USA!

Yeah, dan dominated. So did GSP

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Jul 12 2009 08:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
Fuck lesnar

I feel the same way. It's really hard to like someone who is the bigger fighter and has a 35+ lb weight advantage. It's even harder to like him when the guy acts like a psychopathic asswipe after the fight.
seinfeld
PostPosted: Jul 13 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Am I the only one who finds Lesnar extremely boring? For all the hype the match got, the Lesnar/Mir match was the least exciting of the night.
Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Jul 13 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm disappointed that Lesnar won, as I can't stand him. There's no denying that he's a legit threat to anyone, though. I hate to admit it, but I think even Fedor will have his hands full. Brock could quite possibly get the takedown and ride him to a decision, or worse yet, win by a cut stoppage.

Having said all that, we still haven't seen Brock get punched in the face. Here's to hoping he's a lot like Gabriel Gonzaga......a physical beast, but turns into a bloody vagina when hit.

On a positive note, Hendo's KO of Bisping might be my favorite KO of all time, when you factor in the brutality and how much I hate Bis-bitch Very Happy

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Jul 14 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ice2SeeYou wrote:
I'm disappointed that Lesnar won, as I can't stand him. There's no denying that he's a legit threat to anyone, though. I hate to admit it, but I think even Fedor will have his hands full. Brock could quite possibly get the takedown and ride him to a decision, or worse yet, win by a cut stoppage.

Having said all that, we still haven't seen Brock get punched in the face. Here's to hoping he's a lot like Gabriel Gonzaga......a physical beast, but turns into a bloody vagina when hit.

On a positive note, Hendo's KO of Bisping might be my favorite KO of all time, when you factor in the brutality and how much I hate Bis-bitch Very Happy

I was actually discussing the same thing with some friends today about Brock being a legitimate threat to anyone. I could see him giving lots of people some serious trouble, having said that I would still pick the following heavyweights over him: Fedor Emelianenko, Aleksander Emelianenko, Alistair Overeem, and possibly Shane Carwin (depending on whether or not he beats Valasquez as I expect him to) / Josh Barnett (depending on how he looks against Fedor) .

I response to the question about his chin, it's still largely untested but he did appear to be buzzed against Couture and by that flying knee of Mir's.

I agree about Bisping, I never liked how much trash he talked and thought that he lost to Matt Hamill. I was glad to see Henderson beat him,but I hope that he is not seriously or permanently hurt.
Deadmau_5pra
PostPosted: Jul 14 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Kimbo F'N Slice. I didn't know he was coming to UFC (Face it the guys a freakin monster as well 2-1 record, both guys got KO'd in Under a minute.) I can't wait for the heavyweight Ultimate Fighter .

All i know is, if Lesnar & Slice steped into that octagon and it was PPV, AND for the title dear god that PPV would have buys near the 500k mark maybe more.

Mixed Martial Arts is taking over.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Jul 14 2009 02:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

SpraCoalee wrote:
Kimbo F'N Slice. I didn't know he was coming to UFC (Face it the guys a freakin monster as well 2-1 record, both guys got KO'd in Under a minute.) I can't wait for the heavyweight Ultimate Fighter .

All i know is, if Lesnar & Slice steped into that octagon and it was PPV, AND for the title dear god that PPV would have buys near the 500k mark maybe more.

Mixed Martial Arts is taking over.

Rumor has it that Kimbo got ko'd in his first fight on TUF and stormed off the set. I'm not saying that this is true but it was supposedly leaked by someone who was either part of the crew or one of the cast members (some say that it was Wes Simms, a TUF cast member and former UFC fighter).

Also, in my opinion, Kimbo would get KTFO by just about any semi-legitimate UFC heavyweight. His 3 wins were over very poor competition (Tank Abbott , James Thompson, and Bo Cantrell) and he was ko'd by a 1 footed jab from a former (B-level) UFC light heavyweight (he was 0-2 in the UFC against light heavyweights). I don't believe that Kimbo will do well on TUF and I do not believe that he will ever earn a UFC title shot.
Ice2SeeYou
PostPosted: Jul 14 2009 01:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yea Kimbo is a joke. He was spoon fed opponents that they knew he would beat (and the Bo Cantrell fight even looked suspicious, to me).

He fought James Thompson, a guy who is known specifically for getting KO'd. Kimbo connected with a few flush shots, and hardly wobbled him. In spite of his intimidating appearance, he hasn't shown any real KO power.

He'd get eaten alive by any real heavyweight.

Ice2SeeYou
PostPosted: Jul 14 2009 01:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
Ice2SeeYou wrote:

I was actually discussing the same thing with some friends today about Brock being a legitimate threat to anyone. I could see him giving lots of people some serious trouble, having said that I would still pick the following heavyweights over him: Fedor Emelianenko, Aleksander Emelianenko, Alistair Overeem, and possibly Shane Carwin (depending on whether or not he beats Valasquez as I expect him to) / Josh Barnett (depending on how he looks against Fedor) .

I response to the question about his chin, it's still largely untested but he did appear to be buzzed against Couture and by that flying knee of Mir's.

I agree about Bisping, I never liked how much trash he talked and thought that he lost to Matt Hamill. I was glad to see Henderson beat him,but I hope that he is not seriously or permanently hurt.

I agree that Lesnar's chin is untested, and possibly suspect. He's also looked quite exhausted in most of his fights, which leads me to wonder how he'd do if a fight went beyond the second round.

I think if someone like the Emelianenko's, Barnett, Overreem, Carwin or Crocop could avoid his gorilla bull-charge takedown and land a few shots on him, we'll see what he's really made of. (Even Gonzaga, possibly....if he could avoid getting hit first.)

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Jul 14 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ice2SeeYou wrote:
I agree that Lesnar's chin is untested, and possibly suspect. He's also looked quite exhausted in most of his fights, which leads me to wonder how he'd do if a fight went beyond the second round.

I think if someone like the Emelianenko's, Barnett, Overreem, Carwin or Crocop could avoid his gorilla bull-charge takedown and land a few shots on him, we'll see what he's really made of. (Even Gonzaga, possibly....if he could avoid getting hit first.)

Good call on Cro Cop, although I think he might be past his prime, if he can sharpen back up, gain some weight, and improve his (already pretty good) defensive wrestling, I could see him catching Brock.
Ice2SeeYou
PostPosted: Jul 15 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
Ice2SeeYou wrote:

Good call on Cro Cop, although I think he might be past his prime, if he can sharpen back up, gain some weight, and improve his (already pretty good) defensive wrestling, I could see him catching Brock.

Yea he's a big question mark, but I hope he can return to his Pride FC form. He won Pride's Open Weight Grand Prix within 1 year of his "decline," so I think it had to be a mental/motivational thing for him rather than a decrease in his skills.

Reply to topic

Jump to: