"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
(Un)OFFICIAL MMA DISCUSSION THREAD

Reply to topic
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 04 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i missed this last UFC as well. was too busy getting drunk. i heard the fight wasnt all that great.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Jan 08 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Couture/Coleman not good enough to be a main event? Shit, Couture Vs. ANYBODY is worthy of being a main event, let alone another hall of famer. The Couture Vs. Nogueira fight was voted 2nd best MMA fight of 2009 on the UFCs website. And Mark Coleman is the only person who has a TKO victory against Shogun Rua.
scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Jan 09 2010 04:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

phantasmzombie wrote:
Couture/Coleman not good enough to be a main event? Shit, Couture Vs. ANYBODY is worthy of being a main event, let alone another hall of famer. The Couture Vs. Nogueira fight was voted 2nd best MMA fight of 2009 on the UFCs website. And Mark Coleman is the only person who has a TKO victory against Shogun Rua.

I wasn't too excited with the Couture/Vera fight. It was fine for a main event, but I'm glad it was on tv rather than a PPV. Also, the Coleman win over Shogun was kind of a fluke accident. It's not like Coleman beat him up or anything.

Don't get me wrong, I like both guys. It just seems from the MMA message boards that most people don't think it should be the main event on a PPV. Personally, I was excited to hear they were going to fight.

Mr. Magog
Title: Swell Individual
PostPosted: Jan 30 2010 02:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
phantasmzombie wrote:

I wasn't too excited with the Couture/Vera fight. It was fine for a main event, but I'm glad it was on tv rather than a PPV. Also, the Coleman win over Shogun was kind of a fluke accident. It's not like Coleman beat him up or anything.

Don't get me wrong, I like both guys. It just seems from the MMA message boards that most people don't think it should be the main event on a PPV. Personally, I was excited to hear they were going to fight.

The fight certainly seems interesting, but I think it would've been good to place it right under the main event.

"Airports, hospitals, McDonald's Playland, I don't care where it's taking place. If I'm having a good time, they will die."--sidewaydriver

eddieh4444
Title: Doctor of Science
PostPosted: Jan 30 2010 02:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There's a really good Strikeforce card tonight on Showtime. I suggest you watch it if you're an MMA fan.

Nick Diaz vs. Marius Zarmoskis
Robbie Lawler vs. Melvin Manhoef
Cris 'Cyborg' Santos vs. Marloes Coenen ----female fight
Herschel Walker vs. Greg Nagy
Bobby Lashley vs. Wes Sims

and

Jay Hieron vs. Joe Riggs -------- fight will be streamed live on EASports.com
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 30 2010 02:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
There's a really good Strikeforce card tonight on Showtime. I suggest you watch it if you're an MMA fan.

and

cool. thanks for the heads up

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

scamrock
PostPosted: Jan 30 2010 05:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:

and

I think this is gonna be a good show. I just wish they would give Lashley some actual competition. In fact, Sims took the fight on short notice. They couldn't get anyone for him and almost had to reschedule his fight. I don't know why they were having trouble, but he is at the point where he needs tested by a solid opponent.

People are treating the Walker fight like a joke. People were saying that him getting interviews on national sports talk shows was a black eye on MMA. I don't know why. I get that there is the Hieron Riggs fight that should be on the main card, but Walker will get people to watch that otherwise wouldn't care. Plus, he has been in martial arts his whole life. Plus, if you believe what they say, he is in excellent shape. So I don't think it is a bad thing. If he is no good, this will be it. If he is good, it becomes a positive. At least he has better credentials going in that Kimbo Slice, or even "veteran/legend" Tank Abbott. He is just old. So if he is in good enough shape, I don't see the big deal. I guess some MMA fans just don't like guys who are famous outside of MMA coming to MMA. That is about all I can get out of it.

Personally, I am interested in the Cyborg/Coenen fight. Coenen is one of the best women at that weight class. It will be interesting to see if she can compete with Cyborg.

Oh, by the way, Diaz and Lawler ore on the card in case anyone forgot... Overall, you have a good mix of solid fights and novelty fights. At this point, I won't call the Lashley more than a novelty, at least until he gets some real competition. But there should be something for everyone.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Jan 30 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Lashley-Sims fight was pretty crappy but the Lawler - Mahoef fight more than made up for it. I won't ruin in unless you guys wanna hear the result but I highly suggest that you try to look it up online really quick, truly an amazing fight. I'll try to keep you guys that aren't able to watch it somewhat updated on how it's going. Let me know if you wanna read the result for the Lawler - Manhoef fight.
eddieh4444
PostPosted: Jan 31 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Herschel Walker fight was kind of a joke, the guy he fought was way smaller and didn't seem extremely good, even for a novice level pro. For some reason, the announcers were really praising Herschel even though he didn't really look too great.
eddieh4444
PostPosted: Jan 31 2010 01:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nick Diaz is ridiculous. That's another fight that I highly suggest you guys watch. I honestly think that Nick would have a good chance to beat anyone in the world at 170 lbs. I know GSP is a terrible match up for him but the dude is a Ceasar Gracie black belt, has the stamina to do marathons and triathlons, and boxes with Andre Ward. He took a huge shot from Marius Zarmoskis (who won his last 3 by ko or tko) and he kept his cool and knocked Marius out.
scamrock
PostPosted: Jan 31 2010 03:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nick Diaz cracks me up. Before he fought Diego, he said Diego had no business getting main event fights just because he won a reality show. After Diego beat him, they asked him if he changed his mind about Diego and Diaz said no he didn't.

I'm pissed because I got sidetracked tonight and missed it. I'm watching now on Showtime 2, but I only got to see the end of the Cyborg fight and now the Diaz fight is coming on. I'm gonna have to find the rest online.

Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Feb 01 2010 02:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, yea Diaz is a guy you love to hate, but love him at the same time. He's as tough as they come, wins fights he wasn't expected to win, and has some of the funniest sayings in MMA.

"A ninja didn't bring his girlfriend around when he was hiding in the trees waiting to kill shit."

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

scamrock
PostPosted: Feb 03 2010 06:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ice2SeeYou wrote:

"A ninja didn't bring his girlfriend around when he was hiding in the trees waiting to kill shit."

Words to live by.

phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Feb 07 2010 03:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

I wanted Couture to win, but I felt bad for Coleman, he didn't look good at all. Did anyone catch the exchange between him and Tito Ortiz? And how about fucking Chael Sonnen?
scamrock
PostPosted: Feb 08 2010 09:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Randy looked real real good. I think it just comes down to the fact that Randy is better than Coleman in every aspect, sans maybe wrestling. Since Coleman never got a chance to take him down, he never really had a chance.

Jake Rossen said it best in one of his articles. "It was a match between a wrestler turned MMA fighter and a wrestler who fights in MMA. A marked difference."

Ice2SeeYou
PostPosted: Feb 09 2010 11:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
Randy looked real real good. I think it just comes down to the fact that Randy is better than Coleman in every aspect, sans maybe wrestling. Since Coleman never got a chance to take him down, he never really had a chance.

Jake Rossen said it best in one of his articles. "It was a match between a wrestler turned MMA fighter and a wrestler who fights in MMA. A marked difference."

Yea I agree. Great matchup for Randy.

Now that he's got 2 wins in a row, I'm sure we're going to start hearing about him getting a title shot at 205. Probably at the winner of Machida/Shogun II (unless that fight is close again, in which case maybe they'll have a 3rd fight right away). IMO he'd lose to either of those two, and lose badly.

I've got nothing against Randy, but honestly I'm a bit tired of him being shoved down our throats by the UFC. I'm sure they'll want to milk another title shot out of him before someone puts him away for good. I think he's one bad KO away from being done.

phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Feb 10 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd love to see Randy get a title shot, however I don't think he deserves one yet because of his back to back wins against Vera and Coleman. They were not even ranked in the top 10 in the light heavyweight division. He has had 3 fights in 7 months which is crazy, but that tells me he will probably want another fight really soon. Tito & Chuck are out of the question because they will fight after TUF, Rampage and Rashad are going to have their grudge match so that only leaves Thiago Silva and Forrest Griffin in the light heavyweight division. Either one of those would be a great matchup.
Ice2SeeYou
PostPosted: Feb 11 2010 03:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

phantasmzombie wrote:
I'd love to see Randy get a title shot, however I don't think he deserves one yet because of his back to back wins against Vera and Coleman. They were not even ranked in the top 10 in the light heavyweight division. He has had 3 fights in 7 months which is crazy, but that tells me he will probably want another fight really soon. Tito & Chuck are out of the question because they will fight after TUF, Rampage and Rashad are going to have their grudge match so that only leaves Thiago Silva and Forrest Griffin in the light heavyweight division. Either one of those would be a great matchup.

Randy VS Forrest sounds very possible. As I said above I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Randy the next title shot, due to the fact that he's probably one bad KO loss away from retirement, but a #1 contendership fight with Forrest would sell really well. Of course Forrest has only beaten Tito since the ass-whooping that Silva put on him, so he doesn't really deserve a title shot, either. But the UFC is all about what sells, and either Randy or Forrest could fight a parking meter and it would sell.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Feb 16 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think Randy and Forrest would fight each other since they're training partners and all. Randy's next fight is against Rich Franklin, not sure at which event though.

UFC 110 this weekend though: (My picks are bolded; if you want to do a sig/av bet to make the fights a little more interesting. let me know)
Main Card (PPV):
-Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Cain Velasquez
-Wanderlei Silva vs. Michael Bisping
-Joe Stevenson vs. George Sotiropoulos
-Keith Jardine vs. Ryan Bader
-Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Ben Rothwell

Prelims
-Elvis Sinosic vs. Chris Haseman
-Stephan Bonnar vs. Krzysztof Soszynski
-Chris Lytle vs. Brian Foster
-Goran Reljic vs. C.B. Dollaway
-Igor Pokrajac vs. James Te Huna
eddieh4444
PostPosted: Mar 02 2010 06:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
I don't think Randy and Forrest would fight each other since they're training partners and all. Randy's next fight is against Rich Franklin, not sure at which event though.

UFC 110 this weekend though: (My picks are bolded; if you want to do a sig/av bet to make the fights a little more interesting. let me know)
Main Card (PPV):

Prelims

Well, my picks were pretty good for the most part but George Sotriopoulos had a huge coming out and Cain Velasquez steam rolled Big Nog ( Crying ).

This month is HUGE for UFC events though, we're going to get 3 events in the last 10 days of the month and all of them look pretty good.

For anyone who's interested, her's a good list of the upcoming events. http://mmaweekly.com/rumors.asp
Ice2SeeYou
PostPosted: Mar 03 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
eddieh4444 wrote:

Main Card (PPV):

Prelims

Well, my picks were pretty good for the most part but George Sotriopoulos had a huge coming out and Cain Velasquez steam rolled Big Nog ( Crying ).

This month is HUGE for UFC events though, we're going to get 3 events in the last 10 days of the month and all of them look pretty good.

For anyone who's interested, her's a good list of the upcoming events. http://mmaweekly.com/rumors.asp

Yea Nog's loss to CV was sad. I think it's time for him to hang it up. His win over Tim Sylvia showed a bit of his old greatness (getting beaten up until he pulls out the sub), but other than that he hasn't looked good since coming to the UFC. He's taken so much damage in his career, and it looks like it's finally having an effect. There's also the fact that he's supposedly blind in one eye. He can't take the punishment anymore, and he just looks sluggish in the cage. He looks more aged than Randy Couture, honestly....even though he's like 10 or 12 years younger. I'd like to see him retire now.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Mar 04 2010 07:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ice2SeeYou wrote:
Yea Nog's loss to CV was sad. I think it's time for him to hang it up. His win over Tim Sylvia showed a bit of his old greatness (getting beaten up until he pulls out the sub), but other than that he hasn't looked good since coming to the UFC. He's taken so much damage in his career, and it looks like it's finally having an effect. There's also the fact that he's supposedly blind in one eye. He can't take the punishment anymore, and he just looks sluggish in the cage. He looks more aged than Randy Couture, honestly....even though he's like 10 or 12 years younger. I'd like to see him retire now.

I thought that Nog looked good against Randy but I agree with you on everything else. I think that they should give Nog a gimme fight against someone like Kimbo so that he can at least leave on a win, he deserves it.

What do you think of all the fights this month though?

I have: Vera over Jones(pretty split on that one so I'm just flipping a coin), Nelson over Struve (I like both fighters though), JDS over Gonzaga, Kongo over Buentello, GSP over Hardy, split on Mir vs. Carwin but I hope Carwin wins, Fitch over Alves, and Florian over Gomi (although I really like both fighters).

Damn that's a lot of fights for 10 days.
Ice2SeeYou
PostPosted: Mar 05 2010 06:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
Ice2SeeYou wrote:

I thought that Nog looked good against Randy but I agree with you on everything else. I think that they should give Nog a gimme fight against someone like Kimbo so that he can at least leave on a win, he deserves it.

What do you think of all the fights this month though?

I have: Vera over Jones(pretty split on that one so I'm just flipping a coin), Nelson over Struve (I like both fighters though), JDS over Gonzaga, Kongo over Buentello, GSP over Hardy, split on Mir vs. Carwin but I hope Carwin wins, Fitch over Alves, and Florian over Gomi (although I really like both fighters).

Damn that's a lot of fights for 10 days.

Nog did look good against Randy, but I tend to think that Randy is in decline as well. I like both guys, but I think it's pretty near the end of the road for both of them.

I think I'm going to take Jones over Vera. I've never been that impressed with Vera, and he hasn't looked really good against a good opponent in a while. Jones just manhandled Matt Hammil like no one else ever has. He's probably one of the most exciting up and coming guys right now. Other than that I agree with all your other picks, including my sentiment on Mir/Carwin. It could go either way, but I'm pulling for Carwin.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Mar 05 2010 07:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ice2SeeYou wrote:
Nog did look good against Randy, but I tend to think that Randy is in decline as well. I like both guys, but I think it's pretty near the end of the road for both of them.

I think I'm going to take Jones over Vera. I've never been that impressed with Vera, and he hasn't looked really good against a good opponent in a while. Jones just manhandled Matt Hammil like no one else ever has. He's probably one of the most exciting up and coming guys right now. Other than that I agree with all your other picks, including my sentiment on Mir/Carwin. It could go either way, but I'm pulling for Carwin.

You are right about Jones, the dude definitely has a lot of potential and is a very exciting fighter; I just don't think he'll be able to toy with Vera the way he has with everyone else. Brandon Vera's kickboxing is very underrated (he knocked numerous heavyweights out) and his wrestling is even more underrated. Brandon has never really been stopped by anyone (I thought that the Werdum stoppage was ridiculous) so if Jon Jones beats Vera convincingly, I think that he very well may be champ sooner rather than later.
eddieh4444
PostPosted: Mar 13 2010 03:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, Tito pulled out of his fight against Chuck and now Chuck will be fighting Rich Franklin on April 17th. That's the same night as the Strikeforce card. I'm still going to watch the Strikeforce card but this gives me something to watch during commercials.
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/3/13/1371232/chuck-liddell-vs-rich-franklin

Also Pacquiao vs. Josh Clottey tonight. I think Pac-man will KO him before 9. Who do you guys have?
Reply to topic

Jump to: