"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
(Un)OFFICIAL MMA DISCUSSION THREAD

Reply to topic
Mr. Magog
Title: Swell Individual
PostPosted: Nov 08 2009 02:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

I would agree with you on pretty much every point. I wasn't nervous Fedor was about to be KOed or anything, I was just worried the ref would stop it before the inevitable armbar. I disagree with you about Shields/Mayhem being boring. I train in BJJ, though and love it when the fights go to the ground. Shields was manhandling him but I kept thinking Mayhem was going to do some of that crazy flipping shit he always does...he did, it just didn't quite work the way he wanted. Mayhem was so close with that choke. I did feel like Shields was just trying to win points. Whatever works, I suppose.

"Airports, hospitals, McDonald's Playland, I don't care where it's taking place. If I'm having a good time, they will die."--sidewaydriver

eddieh4444
Title: Doctor of Science
PostPosted: Nov 08 2009 03:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mr. Magog wrote:
I would agree with you on pretty much every point. I wasn't nervous Fedor was about to be KOed or anything, I was just worried the ref would stop it before the inevitable armbar. I disagree with you about Shields/Mayhem being boring. I train in BJJ, though and love it when the fights go to the ground. Shields was manhandling him but I kept thinking Mayhem was going to do some of that crazy flipping shit he always does...he did, it just didn't quite work the way he wanted. Mayhem was so close with that choke. I did feel like Shields was just trying to win points. Whatever works, I suppose.

I like ground fighting as well but I just thought the Shields fight was a little boring because Jake never really tried to finish the fight. He seemed more worried about throwing "points punches" (not trying to have the fight stopped, just trying to win the judges over) and keeping dominant position rather than trying to knock Mayhem out or submit him. It was cool to see Jake handle Mayhem but it didn't seem like he really cared to finish the fight.
Mr. Magog
PostPosted: Nov 08 2009 04:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

I just hate seeing Mayhem in fights like that. Guy's all heart.

"Airports, hospitals, McDonald's Playland, I don't care where it's taking place. If I'm having a good time, they will die."--sidewaydriver

scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Nov 09 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I predicted all of the fights correctly for a change. Though I thought Shields would win, I really wanted Mayhem to win. He is actually one of my favorite fighters. My buddy met him a few times when Mayhem went to Justin Fortune's gym that my friend used to go to. He didn't work with him or anything because I guess the MMA guys work on one side and the boxers work on another. But he said he got to talk with him quite a bit and thought he was a good guy.

I was a little up in the air on the Werdum/Silva fight. But my gut told me to go with Werdum. The other two fights were pretty much a sure thing for Fedor and Mousasi.

I will say I wish the women's prelim fight would have been televised. I would have liked to see more of them since it was a 145 lb match and they are both in the same division as Gina Carano and Cris Cyborg. Though I don't think either of them would have a shot at beating Cyborg or Carano. Coenen's biggest fight was a loss to Erin Toughill and Modofferi's biggest fight was a loss to Tara LaRosa. and a win over Jennifer Howe. The fight Saturday was supposed to be a rematch between Coenen and Toughill, but Toughill had to pull out. Personally, I would like to see Toughill get a shot at Cris Cyborg.

I don't know if anyone here is a fan of women's MMA or not. For the most part, it's not as fun to watch as the men. But when you are talking about the top tier women fighters like Megumi Fujji, Satoko Shinashi and people like that, the fights can be as impressive, if not more so than the men.

phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Nov 15 2009 01:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm glad Couture won but damn I thought he looked better the last two fights, which he lost. It was so close though I wouldn't have been surprised if Vera had got the win. I wonder who Couture will fight next, or if they will even sign him again, his 3 fight contract is up.
scamrock
PostPosted: Nov 15 2009 05:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

phantasmzombie wrote:
I'm glad Couture won but damn I thought he looked better the last two fights, which he lost. It was so close though I wouldn't have been surprised if Vera had got the win. I wonder who Couture will fight next, or if they will even sign him again, his 3 fight contract is up.

Before the Nogueira fight, he signed a new 28 month/6 fight deal.
Rumor has it, he could be pushed into a title fight with Machida, or possibly a number one conteder fight between him and the winner of Evans/Silva. I would prefer he at least get another fight in at LHW before Dana just gives him a title shot. I don't really care if they bump him to the top of the division, I just think he needs to readjust to the division first. I say this because I agree that he looked better in his last two fights at HW. He didn't look bad tonight. He fought his fight and dictated the pace. I just don't think he looked as good as he has.

NEWS UPDATE: It also now appears that Lesnar is pretty bad off and he probably won't be ready to fight by Jan 2nd either. They may have to make an interim championship while he is out.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/White-No-Return-in-Sight-for-Ill-Lesnar-20949

ANOTHER UPDATE: Nogueira has pulled out of UFC 108 with (another) staph infection. This means that Velasquez will be without an opponent, again. No word yet on who could replace Nogueira, or if Velasquez will even still fight. Carwin's name was mentioned but he had decided to have knee surgury while waiting for Lesnar to get healthy.

Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Nov 15 2009 04:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I actually predicted that Vera would win this fight by KO. I felt that his striking was good enough to dispatch Randy without getting taken down and controlled the whole time. Wrong I was. Boring fight, though.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Nov 18 2009 01:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16888/report-randy-couture-vs-mark-coleman-in-the-works-for-ufc-109.mma

Wow, Randy Couture Vs. Mark Coleman at UFC 109, awesome. The battle of the hall of famers. I hope they can arrange the Belfort/Silva fight on the same card.
scamrock
PostPosted: Dec 09 2009 06:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is gonna be a big weekend in MMA.

Friday, former World's Strongest Man Mariusz Pudzianowski makes his MMA debut for Poland's KSW 12 show. While it's not a huge fight for MMA, I am very interested to see how he will do.

Saturday, UFC 107:

Main Card
Lightweight Championship bout: B.J. Penn (c) vs. Diego Sanchez
Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs. Cheick Kongo
Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs. Mike Pierce
Lightweight bout: Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida
Heavyweight bout: Paul Buentello vs. Stefan Struve

Preliminary Card
Middleweight bout: Alan Belcher vs. Wilson Gouveia
Lightweight bout: Matt Wiman vs. Shane Nelson
Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks vs. Ricardo Funch
Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares vs. Lucio Linhares
Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs. Edgar Garcia
Welterweight bout: Kevin Burns vs. TJ Grant

I will go ahead and make my main card predictions. Struve, Fitch, Kenflo, and my boys Mir and Sanchez. GO DIEGO!!!

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Dec 10 2009 01:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
I will go ahead and make my main card predictions. Struve, Fitch, Kenflo, and my boys Mir and Sanchez. GO DIEGO!!!

I hope Struve wins but I don't know if he has the chin to bang it out it with Buentello. We'll see. Fitch and KenFlo are locks IMO. As for Mir, he's come off as a real ass lately but I have to agree with you and say that he'll likely wreck Kongo. On your last pick, I disagree big time. I don't think Sanchez can do anything to hurt BJ. I think BJ is gonna wreck him pretty hard in the stand up and if Diego somehow get's him down, BJ will sub him. I don't see that one going the distance.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Dec 10 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

that fucking hawaiian is badass. i love diego, and my heart says diego, but my money says bj penn.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

scamrock
PostPosted: Dec 11 2009 07:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have to pick Diego because he is one of my favorite fighters. Logic tells me BJ is the favorite. But I think Diego does have a shot if he can control the pace of the fight. I don't think (hope) he isn't dumb enough to stand and strike with Penn. But I think his grappling is superior enough compared to Penn's that he can control the pace on the ground. He is very aggressive so hopefully, he can keep BJ on the defensive while on the ground. Plus, BJ Penn has been known to get gassed from time to time. So I'm hoping if Diego can keep a steady pace, he can wear him down. But, then again, Diego hasn't had a five round fight since he joined UFC. So I hope he doesn't wear himself out.

As for Mir, he used to be my favorite fighter. But he was talking so much garbage going into the Lesnar fight that it just left a bad taste in my mouth and made me feel that Lesnar's post fight comments were justified (other than the shot at the sponser, which was uncalled for). So I was actually rooting for Lesnar over Mir. I still like him, but his attitude has sucked lately.

scamrock
PostPosted: Dec 11 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mariusz Pudzianowsk debut.

pineapple
PostPosted: Dec 11 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just saw that video a couple minutes ago. I'm not a big MMA fan but to me it looked like he did pretty well.
scamrock
PostPosted: Dec 11 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

To me, he looked very green. But he is very explosive. But for me, it is hard go gauge how good he will be.

pineapple
PostPosted: Dec 11 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I said the same thing about him being explosive. He is after all the worlds strongest person.
scamrock
PostPosted: Dec 16 2009 09:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So, UFC 107 was both good and bad for me. I'm a fan of both Mir and Sanchez. So...yeah.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Dec 17 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
So, UFC 107 was both good and bad for me. I'm a fan of both Mir and Sanchez. So...yeah.

Diego showed some serious heart man. Not a lot of guys are willing to what Diego did out there.
username
PostPosted: Dec 17 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
scamrock wrote:

Diego showed some serious heart man. Not a lot of guys are willing to what Diego did out there.

but he got dominated rather badly. I did win $22 though.

And what was up w/that boring-ass slice fight?!

Klimbatize wrote:

scamrock
PostPosted: Dec 18 2009 06:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Diego did show a lot of heart. I really wish he would have mixed it up. He wasn't going to get that single leg and it became predictable that he was going to keep trying. Switch legs, go for a double leg, try a judo throw or a trip, try to slam him, etc. Even if he isn't successful, at least he is switching it up as to keep Penn guessing and not be so predictable.

I'm not bashing Diego for this because he was lucky he was still in it, but something that bothers me is when you have a guy, clearly behind on points, in MMA, boxing, etc, and rather than going for the win, they do enough to make it through to the end. Maybe its just me, but if a title was on the line, and you couldn't win a decision, wouldn't you throw caution to the wind and go slugfest on the guy? Its your only shot at a win. You have to do it. But a lot of guys don't. Is it a pride thing? Would they feel better going the distance rather than risk being KO'd/subbed in the last round? I don't get it. If you aren't going to push yourself when its all on the line, I'm sure there is somebody out there who would.

The Slice fight was a joke. But I blame Houston for it. Kimbo was clearly frustrated that Houston wasn't engaging. I actually admire Kimbo for remaining patient and not falling into the trap of rushing in. But the whole thing had the stink of two guys who had a "can't lose", rather than a "must win" mentallity if you get what I mean. Rather than concentrating on the glory of winning, they seemed afraid to lose, so they were extra cautious. Kimbo knew losing would probably be the end of him. Houston didn't want to be the guy who Kimbo beat to get in the door. But like I said, I blame it more on Houston than Kimbo.

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Dec 19 2009 03:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I watched the Best of UFC 2009 last night, I gotta say that the Sanchez/Guida fight was fantastic, that match made me a fan of both men from that showing and made me want to follow this sport closer.

username
PostPosted: Dec 19 2009 06:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Clay guida is badass. So much energy and just fun to watch

Klimbatize wrote:

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Dec 19 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, he has one hell of a chin, he took that kick in one round like a champ.

Mr. Magog
PostPosted: Jan 03 2010 02:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Anybody else see Thiago Silva beat himself tonight while Rashad Evans looked at him punch-drunk?

scamrock
PostPosted: Jan 04 2010 06:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

I missed UFC 108. I am looking forward to 109. Even though I don't think Couture/Coleman should be a main event, I still want to see it. Plus there are plenty of good fighters on the card. I will also keep an eye on the Hague/Tuchscherer fight. Two HWs at the "make it or break it" points in their careers. Both have a good record. Both bouncing back from a loss. Both have potential, but haven't been tested by many quality fighters.

Reply to topic

Jump to: