[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
(Un)OFFICIAL MMA DISCUSSION THREAD

Reply to topic
eddieh4444
Title: Doctor of Science
PostPosted: Jul 15 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ice2SeeYou wrote:
Yea he's a big question mark, but I hope he can return to his Pride FC form. He won Pride's Open Weight Grand Prix within 1 year of his "decline," so I think it had to be a mental/motivational thing for him rather than a decrease in his skills.

Yea, I remember when Cro Cop was the man. His OWGP win streak was really impressive. After seeing the Mustapha Al-Turk fight, I think that he may be back on the right track. Although Al-Turk isn't the best fighter in the world, Cro Cop's hands looked quick and accurate and he was able to avoid the clinch and takedowns really well. If he can keep improving, he could have a good shot at winning the belt.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Aug 16 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

so, gina carano finally gets some real competition and gets rocked. she hung in there, i'll give her credit for that. she can take a punch and apparently dish it out, but cyborg just was too much

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

username
PostPosted: Aug 29 2009 09:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

so... 30 minutes til UFC starts. wondering if old man Couture still has it, or if he is over the hill now.

Klimbatize wrote:

phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Aug 30 2009 02:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
so... 30 minutes til UFC starts. wondering if old man Couture still has it, or if he is over the hill now.

It was a hell of a fight, I think Couture looked great even though he lost by a decision.
username
PostPosted: Aug 30 2009 02:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

phantasmzombie wrote:
username wrote:

It was a hell of a fight, I think Couture looked great even though he lost by a decision.

i agree. not bad for an old man

Klimbatize wrote:

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Sep 19 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Great card on tonight guys. Vitor Belfort (see avatar) vs. Rich Franklin and Mirko Cro Cop vs. Junior Dos Santos. Rich and Vitor are two of my favorite fighters so I can't choose on this one, I hope Cro Cop gets a big win tonight though. Josh Koscheck just beat Frank Trigg and Tyson Griffin just beat Hermes Franca.
eddieh4444
PostPosted: Sep 19 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Cro Cop of Pride days is gone Crying

edit: Hate to see Rich lose like that but it's great to see Vitor get such a convincing victory against a highly ranked/dangerous opponent. I hope both of them do great in their future fights.
eddieh4444
PostPosted: Oct 23 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UFC 104 tomorrow night. Shogun vs. Machida should be an awesome match and I can't wait for that one, huge fan of both fighters but I've been a Shogun fan for a lot longer so I gotta go with him on this one even though Machida seems invincible right now.

I wanna see Ben Rothwell pull off an upset and beat Cain Valasquez because Ben has been in the game a long time and deserves a shot at the big time.

I really wish that the Chael Sonnen vs. Yushin Okami fight was on the main card,
scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Oct 23 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So I'm pretty pissed that only a portion of the prelims are gonna be on Spike. The prelims they don't air will most likely be better than any exhibition on TUF. If they are going to bore us with some of those fights, they should give us all of the prelims.

I'm gonna go with Machida. But I wouldn't be comletely shocked if Shogun pulled it off. There is always a popular topic in regards to which of the current UFC champions will lose first. Nobody ever seems to think it will be Lyoto. But he is in one of the toughest divisions. I also think the gap between him and the rest of the talent is the most narrow of all divisions. Plus nobody stays undefeated. So his time is coming. Even if it's a fluke, somebody will beat him.

I want Rothwell to beat Velasquez if for no other reason than I think Rothwell would be a tougher challenge for Lesnar. Not that I think Rothwell could beat Lesnar. But Rothwell will be Cain's toughest fight yet (unless you think Kongo is better than Rothwell, which I don't). So I guess I'll pick Rothwell to win.

I'm also going with Joe Daddy, Johnson, Tibau, Bader, Hardonk, Okami, Kimmons, Kingsbury, and Gormley.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Oct 24 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
I'm also going with Joe Daddy, Johnson, Tibau, Bader, Hardonk, Okami, Kimmons, Kingsbury, and Gormley.

I really hope that Tibau beats Josh Neer, I really don't like Neer at all. And Johnson coming in 6 lbs over is really ridiculous, dude needs to just fight at 185., huge props to Yoshida for even agreeing to fight him at that weight so I want to so Yoshida take that one.

For the prelims I got Okami over Sonnen, Barry over Hardonk, undecided on Rivera vs. Kimmons, Schafer over Bader, Kingsberry over Al-Hassan, and Struve over Gormley.

**edit: Yea, gotta go with you on Joe Daddy over Spencer. Fischer is a really good fighter but Joe Stevenson is ridiculously tough and very dangerous on his feet and on the ground.
scamrock
PostPosted: Oct 24 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
scamrock wrote:

I really hope that Tibau beats Josh Neer, I really don't like Neer at all. And Johnson coming in 6 lbs over is really ridiculous, dude needs to just fight at 185., huge props to Yoshida for even agreeing to fight him at that weight so I want to so Yoshida take that one.

For the prelims I got Okami over Sonnen, Barry over Hardonk, undecided on Rivera vs. Kimmons, Schafer over Bader, Kingsberry over Al-Hassan, and Struve over Gormley.

Some of them I just couldn't decide so I just chose. I also want Yoshida to win, I almost went with him. But I have a hard time picking smaller guys in catchweight fights. Like Tibau for example. He is a big dude. I would like to know how much water weight the guy cuts before a fight.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Oct 25 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Damn, I'm a huge fan of both Machida and Shogun but that was honestly the worst decision that I have ever seen. Shogun won round 1,2, and 4 clearly (I had him winning all 5 but 3 and 5 were at least arguable). I honestly can not believe that they gave Machida the decision, that was complete horse shit.
phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Oct 25 2009 01:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

I believe Shogun might have been robbed. He definitely won 3 rounds, maybe 4, hell you could even make the argument that he won all 5 rounds.

But I think to win a title, you need to whip the champs ass. I thought it was bull shit when Forrest won the title from Rampage, and it would have been bull shit tonight if they gave the belt to Shogun.
eddieh4444
PostPosted: Oct 25 2009 03:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

phantasmzombie wrote:
I believe Shogun might have been robbed. He definitely won 3 rounds, maybe 4, hell you could even make the argument that he won all 5 rounds.

But I think to win a title, you need to whip the champs ass. I thought it was bull shit when Forrest won the title from Rampage, and it would have been bull shit tonight if they gave the belt to Shogun.

I completely disagree with you. Shogun beat Machida, fair and square. The champion should be the best fighter and Shogun was the better fighter tonight. You don't have to KO/submit/completely annihilate the guy with the belt to win it, you just have to beat him. Those are the rules and that decision tonight was completely ridiculous. Shogun is the true LHW champ and it really sucks that he now has that loss on his record and that Machida has seen how Shogun will approach a fight with him in the future.

Bullshit is when a man loses a fight and walks away with a victory.

**edit: Look at the numbers man, Shogun dominated in every aspect imaginable. http://fightmetric.com/fights/Machida-Shogun.html
phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Oct 25 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Whatever, that was a boring fight and neither one of them impressed me. So Shogun sucked the least, give him the belt. Your probably right, but it would have been a weak way to become champion.

When I first got into the UFC it was by watching old UFC tapes back when there were no rules or time limits. So all that jive about points and rounds is very trivial to me anyway. If the rules say you can win the title just by being cautious the whole fight and landing more leg kicks than the other fighter, then the rules are gay and ought to be changed. If Shogun was worthy of the belt he would have figured out a way to beat the man in five rounds.

Dana White said on twitter their next fight is going to be a rematch. Maybe they will actually scrap with each other next time. I'll be watching that one on youtube btw, I'm not going to spend 50$ on those two again.
eddieh4444
PostPosted: Oct 25 2009 02:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

phantasmzombie wrote:
Whatever, that was a boring fight and neither one of them impressed me. So Shogun sucked the least, give him the belt. Your probably right, but it would have been a weak way to become champion.

When I first got into the UFC it was by watching old UFC tapes back when there were no rules or time limits. So all that jive about points and rounds is very trivial to me anyway. If the rules say you can win the title just by being cautious the whole fight and landing more leg kicks than the other fighter, then the rules are gay and ought to be changed. If Shogun was worthy of the belt he would have figured out a way to beat the man in five rounds.

Dana White said on twitter their next fight is going to be a rematch. Maybe they will actually scrap with each other next time. I'll be watching that one on youtube btw, I'm not going to spend 50$ on those two again.

Lol, whatever man. I think what you're looking for is more akin to Felony Fights than MMA. I can see how someone would call that fight boring (I didn't think it was, I thought it was awesome to see Shogun pick apart a guy everyone called invincible) but to say that the rules are gay, c'mon man. You don't win a fight against a guy like Machida by charging at him flailing with your chin up.

Shogun IS worthy of the belt and he is the true LHW champ.
username
PostPosted: Oct 25 2009 03:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

technical fights are always boring. unless you understand the intricacies involved.

but i have to admit, the most exciting UFC fights, are those when both fighters go toe to toe.

Klimbatize wrote:

phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 02:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just read that UFC 105 is going to be on Spike!! I think Couture will beat Brandon Vera. I have to wonder if Randy is serious about starting a quest for the Light Heavyweight belt, I've seen crazier things, and if anyone can pull an upset like that if would be the Natural.
scamrock
PostPosted: Oct 26 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lesnar had to pull out of the fight at UFC 106 because he is really sick. The fight has been pushed back to UFC 108 on January 2nd.

It leaves 106 a little weak. Ortiz/Griffin 2 is now the main event. Also, it looks like Little Nog's UFC debut will be on the card.

The 108 card is now stacked. Not only is Lesnar/Carwin now on the card, but so is Anderson Silva vs Vitor Belfort, Rashad Evans vs Thiago Silva and Gabriel Gonzaga vs Junior dos Santos. Fucking stacked.

username
PostPosted: Oct 27 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
The 108 card is now stacked. Not only is Lesnar/Carwin now on the card, but so is Anderson Silva vs Vitor Belfort, Rashad Evans vs Thiago Silva and Gabriel Gonzaga vs Junior dos Santos. Fucking stacked.

thats a sick card man

Klimbatize wrote:

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Oct 27 2009 01:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think that Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort is gonna be on that card. I read that Anderson had an injured elbow or had to get elbow surgery or something and that he won't be able to fight by January. I'm not positive that that's true but until the fight is confirmed by someone I'm not banking on the fight taking place.

I sure hope that when the fight does take place (if it does) that Vitor is able to take the belt. That'd be awesome.
scamrock
PostPosted: Oct 27 2009 06:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That is true. It all depends on if the doctor clears him in time for the fight.

Another fight White is trying to make for 108 is a Machida/Rua rematch. Rua has already agreed. Machida has a hurt hand. He doesn't know if he needs surgery or not. So it may not happen. But if his hand will be okay, it's possible.

But I would think it would be unlikely that Lesnar, Silva, and Machida would all defend their titles on one show. I'm guessing White is just trying to get the rematch in case Silva can't fight. Maybe if Silva gets cleared, the Machida/Rua rematch will get pushed back. Of course this is just me speculating.

107 is looking pretty good to me too. Penn/Sanchez, Mir/Kongo, Florian/Guida.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Nov 06 2009 04:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

HUGE card on tomorrow night guys. Not UFC but certainly on UFC level as far as big names and potential for great fights. It's the Strikeforce card on CBS and I hope all of you guys watch it.

*Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers -Fedor by whatever he wants, whenever he wants.
*Jake Shields vs. Jason 'Mayhem' Miller -My heart says Shields but my head says Mayhem, should be a great fight.
*Gegard Mousasi vs. Rameau Sokoudjou - I think Gegard Mousasi is one of the most promising young fighters in the world, I think he will wreck Sokoudjou and anyone else he fights. I believe he has the potential to one day be #1 p4p.
*Fabricio Werdum vs. Antonio Silva - Unless Silva can catch Werdum with a huge shot early, I think Fabricio will win this fight fairly easily
Mr. Magog
Title: Swell Individual
PostPosted: Nov 08 2009 01:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fedor landed one of the biggest punches ever to end that one. Looked like his whole body went behind it. Then Rogers came off as sort of a dick afterward.

"Airports, hospitals, McDonald's Playland, I don't care where it's taking place. If I'm having a good time, they will die."--sidewaydriver

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Nov 08 2009 02:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mr. Magog wrote:
Fedor landed one of the biggest punches ever to end that one. Looked like his whole body went behind it. Then Rogers came off as sort of a dick afterward.

Yea, I lost any respect that I ever had for Rogers after that interview. I mean how are you gonna start shit talking 2 minutes after you get KO'd? It would have been one thing if he would have given Fedor some kind of props, but he didn't. Very poor sportsmanship IMO.

The fight itself was great though. I got super nervous when Brett had Fedor on the ground up against the cage and was whacking him with those big shots. After seeing the replay I don't think Fedor was really phased though. The man is like a machine. He was also extremely humble in the post fight interview, I don't see how any one can not be a fan.

Big pops to Shields, even though the fight was a little boring he really showed off his wrestling.

Werdum looked pretty good but should probably work on his stand up a little more.

Mousasi is a beast. I honestly think he is top 5 at 205 lbs. I think with a little bit of work he'll soon be #1 or 2.
Reply to topic

Jump to: