[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
(Un)OFFICIAL MMA DISCUSSION THREAD

Reply to topic
eddieh4444
Title: Doctor of Science
PostPosted: Apr 12 2010 08:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
eddieh4444 wrote:
What about Anderson? What a prick, he absolutely refused to attack Maia and then mocked Demian for not engaging on the feet.... completely classless. I really hope that someone knocks Anderson down a peg or two.

I agree completely, but on the other hand I was getting more frustrated at Maia for not attacking. There were so many times where one well timed punch could have knocked that cocky shit out. Then he waits til the final round to do anything? For fucks sake man this is the biggest fight of your career, DO SOMETHING! Still fucking classless.

I can't blame Maia in the least for what happened. He had no more obligation than Anderson to engage yet Anderson mocks him like they're paying Maia to come at him; if Anderson was SO upset with the lack of action then why not engage Maia himself? Anderson is the one that is supposed to be the world class kickboxer so why can't he attack someone who has far inferior striking skills? It'd be like Damian taking down Silva at will then leaving Anderson's closed guard and mocking because he wouldn't open his guard.
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Apr 12 2010 09:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

To me it just felt like he was trying to make it through the fight rather then fight the fight. If thats how you're going to treat it why even bother. I'm not putting the blame on Maia, I'm just saying it would have been nice if he atleast attempted something, I mean how did Maia even get the fight to begin with? Besides those half ass attempts at takedowns he really did absolutely nothing. At least Silva did some visible damage.

scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Apr 12 2010 09:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just don't think Silva is motivated anymore. I think he would get a little more motivated for guys Rampage, Rashad, Shogun, etc. A guy like Bones Jones would actually take the fight to Spider. I know he is alledgedly buddies with Machida and doesn't want to fight him. But if they did fight, he would have to get motivated for that fight or i would cost him. IMO, there just aren't any middleweights to make him challenge himself.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Apr 13 2010 04:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

To me it just felt like he was trying to make it through the fight rather then fight the fight. If thats how you're going to treat it why even bother. I'm not putting the blame on Maia, I'm just saying it would have been nice if he atleast attempted something, I mean how did Maia even get the fight to begin with? Besides those half ass attempts at takedowns he really did absolutely nothing. At least Silva did some visible damage.

What did Anderson do? He spent way more time mocking Maia than actually fighting and he absolutely refused to engage Demian. Maia at least went for takedowns (trying to use his skillset) where as Anderson refused to do anything unless Maia came at him with strikes, which Maia DID do a few times.

Why did Anderson do this shit instead of attacking Maia?

Absolutely ridiculous on Anderson's part. I really hope that he gets knocked out in his next fight. I never wish anything bad to happen to a fighter but when you come in and act like that towards an opponent and just try to embarrass him as much as possible, you need an ego check.
Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Apr 13 2010 06:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
What did Anderson do? He spent way more time mocking Maia than actually fighting and he absolutely refused to engage Demian. Maia at least went for takedowns (trying to use his skillset) where as Anderson refused to do anything unless Maia came at him with strikes, which Maia DID do a few times.

Did you see Maia's face and legs? Granted it was very minimal attacking on Silva's but Maia just sat there about 90% of the fight with his hands up "pretending" to be in attack mode. Anytime Silva made a movement towards him he looked scared. All I'm saying is Maia did not look like he should have even been in that fight to begin with. Maia's takedown attempts looked pathetic, I started laughing when he was literally holding on to Silva's leg like a little kid does to their parent.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Apr 13 2010 08:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Did you see Maia's face and legs? Granted it was very minimal attacking on Silva's but Maia just sat there about 90% of the fight with his hands up "pretending" to be in attack mode. Anytime Silva made a movement towards him he looked scared. All I'm saying is Maia did not look like he should have even been in that fight to begin with. Maia's takedown attempts looked pathetic, I started laughing when he was literally holding on to Silva's leg like a little kid does to their parent.

I'm not arguing that Maia wasn't completely outclassed I'm just saying that Silva is 100% to blame for how shitty the fight was. Maia was timid in the stand up because he knows Anderson is a much better striker. That being as it is, why did Anderson prefer mocking Maia to attacking him relentlessly with strikes? It's not like Demian was pulling a Kalib Starnes and running away. Even though he'd get smashed in the exchanges, he was game through the entire fight (see the gif where Maia is swinging for the fences and striking while sitting down even). Anderson didn't go out there looking to fight Demian Maia, he went out there to not get subbed and embarrass the man as much as possible. Very unsportsmanlike IMO.

And for the record, I used to really like Anderson Silva and I enjoyed watching him fight. Now, I don't think I'll ever root for him again. Demian on the other hand showed a lot of heart to the end and I'm now an even bigger Maia fan.
Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Apr 13 2010 09:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh believe me I'm not arguing that fact, in fact I don't really know what I'm arguing...I just would have liked Maia to take advantage of his Apollo Creed like opponent. Especially after 3 straight rounds of doing nothing except for trying to kick Silva while on his back on the mat. If I were Maia I would have snapped and gave this cocky shit a bull rush of punches and attacks he was begging for.

phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Apr 13 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Today I looked on Vitor Belfort's twitter and he was begging Dana White for the fight with Anderson Silva. I guess Vitor is not hurt anymore and ready to fight. I would LOVE to see that fight.
eddieh4444
PostPosted: Apr 14 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

phantasmzombie wrote:
Today I looked on Vitor Belfort's twitter and he was begging Dana White for the fight with Anderson Silva. I guess Vitor is not hurt anymore and ready to fight. I would LOVE to see that fight.

I'd love to see that fight as well, I really think that Vitor's hand speed could give Anderson some serious problems and he might be able to give Anderson the ego check that he so desperately needs. That being said, I think Chael Sonnen deserves the next crack at the belt and that after such a long lay off, Vitor needs another win or two to put him back in title contention. I'd like to see Vitor vs. Marquardt for the next title shot after Chael gets his but the UFC rarely puts someone coming off of a win against someone coming off of a loss when they're choosing a #1 contender.
phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Apr 15 2010 02:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

While I believe Chael Sonnen deserves the next title shot, I don't think he is going to win. And if Dana White is as mad at Anderson Silva as he claims to be, why is he going to give him another sure win, so he can save face? I say punish him, give him Vitor Belfort, make it live on Spike TV so the whole world can see him get knocked the fuck out. As good as people say Silva is, I don't think he has an answer to Belfort's hands.

I'm not trying to diss Sonnen, I like the guy, I even sent money to his campaign.
eddieh4444
PostPosted: Apr 15 2010 06:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

phantasmzombie wrote:
While I believe Chael Sonnen deserves the next title shot, I don't think he is going to win. And if Dana White is as mad at Anderson Silva as he claims to be, why is he going to give him another sure win, so he can save face? I say punish him, give him Vitor Belfort, make it live on Spike TV so the whole world can see him get knocked the fuck out. As good as people say Silva is, I don't think he has an answer to Belfort's hands.

I'm not trying to diss Sonnen, I like the guy, I even sent money to his campaign.

That's really cool that you sent money to his campaign, I really like Chael as a fighter and he seems like a cool dude.

While I agree that Vitor may make for a more exciting fight (I really believe Vitor can KO Anderson), Chael could make for an extremely tough fight for Anderson as well. He's got the perfect style to shut Anderson down. A very strong wrestler that is very tough to boot. While Dan Henderson also has these assets, he made a huge mistake in trying to strike with Silva in the second round; Chael won't make the same mistake because he knows that his striking is not up to par with Anderson's. The one thing that I think Chael might need to train for a little more in this fight is his submissions and submission defense. I'd hate to see Chael get submitted from Anderson's guard and I'd really love to see Chael sub Anderson after dropping some bombs on the ground.
phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Apr 16 2010 09:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

The Dan Henderson/Jake Shields fight is this Saturday night on CBS. Other fights include Gegard Mousasi Vs. Muhammed Lawal, Gilbert Melendez Vs. Shinya Aoki
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 16 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

phantasmzombie wrote:
The Dan Henderson/Jake Shields fight is this Saturday night on CBS. Other fights include Gegard Mousasi Vs. Muhammed Lawal, Gilbert Melendez Vs. Shinya Aoki

I'll be watching this one for sure.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Apr 16 2010 09:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yea, tomorrow night's card on CBS will be great. I've got Henderson, Mousasi, and I'm split on the Melendez/Aoki fight; Gilbert is more well rounded but Aoki's ground game is so slick and dangerous that you just never know. If I had to pick, I'd go with Gilbert just because he's got more tools to finish the fight and he trains with Cesar Gracie and the Diaz bros. so he's used to working with slick grapplers.
phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Apr 17 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Did that shit really just happen?? GENTLEMAN WE ARE ON NATIONAL TELEVISION!!
eddieh4444
PostPosted: Apr 18 2010 01:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

phantasmzombie wrote:
Did that shit really just happen?? GENTLEMAN WE ARE ON NATIONAL TELEVISION!!

I didn't catch the entire brawl, but yea that stuff can't be happening on live tv.

The card itself wasn't great IMO, really unimpressed by everyone except Gilbert Melendez.

The boxing card on tonight was good though. Lucian Bute ko'd Edison Miranda and Sergio Martinez beat Kelly Pavlik by UD Sad . Pav is my favorite fighter so I hope he comes back strong.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Apr 18 2010 01:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

i dont care for pavlik. AT ALL. im not sure why, he just gets on my nerves for some reason. i didnt catch that fight unfortunately, but good to see he lost.

melendez was very impressive. he had a great defense for everything.

the dan henderson was a purely technical fight and i was impressed by shields for being able to control the latter half of the fight.

that brawl @ the end though. WTF?!

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Apr 18 2010 02:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
i dont care for pavlik. AT ALL. im not sure why, he just gets on my nerves for some reason. i didnt catch that fight unfortunately, but good to see he lost.

melendez was very impressive. he had a great defense for everything.

the dan henderson was a purely technical fight and i was impressed by shields for being able to control the latter half of the fight.

that brawl @ the end though. WTF?!

Man, Pavlik is the most hated boxer in the world and I'll never understand why. The guy always comes to fight, is deceptively powerful, and extremely humble. Truly unwarranted hate and everyone rags on the guy. He's one of my favorite fighters and I really hope he can pick up the pieces and come back strong.

Yea, Shields is a very good grappler but tonight's fights were not great to have on CBS because they were not 'exciting' enough for casual fans to want to see it again and CBS is shooting for casual fans with these cards.

King Mo actually surprised me with his wrestling but really showed nothing else. Mousasi could really use some work on his take down defense but looked good otherwise, I'm confident that if he works on that he will beat Mo next time they fight.
Grover
PostPosted: Apr 20 2010 01:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was impressed by Melendez and totally disappointed by Aoki. I'm always amazed by Aoki, but he looked terrified of Melendez's boxing. He was too scared to even get close enough to clinch.

Also, whoever was doing the commentary was pretty bad at it. They didn't seem to realize that Aoki kept purposely jumping guard and thought he was failing takedowns. The guy's entire game plan is to pull guard and submit his opponents. I mean the guy's got 24 wins and he's never knocked anyone out.
scamrock
PostPosted: Apr 26 2010 07:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It looks like James Toney is getting Randy Couture for his first MMA fight. But a lot of people I have talked to aren't sure it will get sanctioned.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Apr 27 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
It looks like James Toney is getting Randy Couture for his first MMA fight. But a lot of people I have talked to aren't sure it will get sanctioned.

That would be kind of a silly fight IMO. Toney would almost definitely lose and his drawing power would be wasted. I guess if they just want to embarrass the guy it's a good idea, but I don't see why they don't just give him a few sloppy brawlers like Kimbo to showcase his skills to mma fans who don't know him well yet.
scamrock
PostPosted: Apr 27 2010 01:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
scamrock wrote:

That would be kind of a silly fight IMO. Toney would almost definitely lose and his drawing power would be wasted. I guess if they just want to embarrass the guy it's a good idea, but I don't see why they don't just give him a few sloppy brawlers like Kimbo to showcase his skills to mma fans who don't know him well yet.

I actually think putting him against Kimbo would be a huge mistake. Kimbo would have a good shot at KTFO. Toney has never been a power puncher. He is more of a defensive guy and a counter puncher. On top of that, I'm not sure how well his defensive style would translate to MMA. Also, even with Kimbo, if the fight goes to the ground, I think Kimbo would have the advantage, however slight it may be. I'm almost convinced Kimbo might have the advantage standing, especially if he has been working on his kicks.

I still think putting him against Randy would be a mistake. I think for a boxer to really be successful, they need to either be a power puncher, or fight at a smaller weight class.

Guile
Title: Sonic Boom!
PostPosted: Apr 27 2010 01:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:

Wow. that just seems like an insult to Couture.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Apr 28 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:

I actually think putting him against Kimbo would be a huge mistake. Kimbo would have a good shot at KTFO. Toney has never been a power puncher. He is more of a defensive guy and a counter puncher. On top of that, I'm not sure how well his defensive style would translate to MMA. Also, even with Kimbo, if the fight goes to the ground, I think Kimbo would have the advantage, however slight it may be. I'm almost convinced Kimbo might have the advantage standing, especially if he has been working on his kicks.

I still think putting him against Randy would be a mistake. I think for a boxer to really be successful, they need to either be a power puncher, or fight at a smaller weight class.

If James Toney fought Kimbo and Kimbo tried to stand and bang with James Toney, Kimbo would get knocked out and it wouldn't even be close. People severely estimate professional boxers and really overestimate the striking of most MMA fighters. Even Joe Rogan comments on it, the striking we see in MMA is no where near the level that you see in pro boxing. Kimbo wasn't able to finish James Thompson on the feet.
scamrock
PostPosted: Apr 28 2010 01:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
If James Toney fought Kimbo and Kimbo tried to stand and bang with James Toney, Kimbo would get knocked out and it wouldn't even be close. People severely estimate professional boxers and really overestimate the striking of most MMA fighters. Even Joe Rogan comments on it, the striking we see in MMA is no where near the level that you see in pro boxing. Kimbo wasn't able to finish James Thompson on the feet.

I don't underestimate a boxer at all. I used to be a boxer. However, there are several things to consider. If a boxer is fighting a guy who is successfully landing kicks to their leg, it will take a lot away from them. If its not something you are used to, it can totally throw you off. Also, a smart boxer needs to be careful with his stance to make sure he won't be easily taken down. This is something else that can take away from your punching.

I still think standing with a boxer is dumb for a lot of guys. But Toney isn't known as a power puncher, despite his nickname. I still think people need to be cautious. But I still think Kimbo always has a puncher's chance (even against a boxer). Plus, if he could incorportate leg kicks, I think it could even shift the advantage. Kimbo was actually working Mercer over pretty good standing.

I think a good kickboxer would actually have an advantage standing over a boxer (depending on who the fighters are, obviously). I would much rather see somebody like Vitali Klitschko who is a power puncher (amazing KO%) and former kickboxer.

Reply to topic

Jump to: