[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
We need more members.

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Oct 03 2005 01:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The forums are not going so well... we need more members. So if you guys know people who like to talk about stuff, make them join. Forcibly.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Oct 03 2005 07:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All my friends are dicks. I can not help. Sad

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

B.B.King
Title: Total Fucking Loser
PostPosted: Oct 03 2005 09:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i would help,problem is,im lazy. im addicted to Laz-ahol.
once i get this monkey off my back ill probably get around to it eventually.
maybe.

I am a worthless piece of crap.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Darklire
Title: I get a Title?
PostPosted: Oct 14 2005 05:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a new member. I found this site after thinking about my old days with Joe and Mac (I didn't play the same game as you, though I did play an adaption on the SNES). I'm 17 and my name is Jacob, though most people online call me Darky for whatever reasons that posess them to do so. My turn ons include reading random wikipedia articles for a couple of hours and my turn offs include ignorant fuckers that won't shut up.

Hope you enjoy me.

P.S. the website in my signature is not mine, I am just an active member of the forum there and I've been there for three years (yes, I'm a weak person). So don't go there and think, "Wow this guy is good at this stuff." or "Wow, this guy must like black things!" Because I assure you, I suck at flash and I'm not into the color black.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 14 2005 06:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for coming, I hope you enjoy your time here. Smile
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Darklire
PostPosted: Oct 14 2005 06:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Grazi.

So what do you do in your spare time? I just "got" (arr me a pirate) Black & White 2 and it's pretty good. Much better than the original.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 14 2005 06:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When I'm not working on site-related stuff, it's usually video games, TV, movies, or whatever my friends want to do... which usually happens to be one of those other three things. Recently I've been pretty into the Nintendo DS, specifically Trace Memory and Castlevania. It really is an ingenious little piece of hardware.
Darklire
PostPosted: Oct 14 2005 06:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yah my little brother's got one that sits on the shelf and does nothing because we waste all our money on renting games and keeping them 4 weeks overdue. The last game we bought was NFL 2003 gameday for PS2. And it was $5 bucks at Goodwill. I felt guilty as hell too because I haev a pretty well-off family, and to cheat out a poor kid from a decent game was heartless. I didn't buy it, my mom did. She refused to take it back. I still feel the guilt.

So do you got a job or anything? I just read your "About Me" section. A degree in Philosophy, huh? What does that qualify for now-a-days? And are you still kicking yourself over it?

Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 14 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome Darkly! Wow, what an entrance. The second I read your first sentence I developed a voice for what you sound like in my head. So far it seems to be dead on. And this is a board where we all seem to hate flash and black things... wait...

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 14 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Darklire wrote:
So do you got a job or anything? I just read your "About Me" section. A degree in Philosophy, huh? What does that qualify for now-a-days? And are you still kicking yourself over it?

Yes, I have a full-time job which along with my social life prevents me from updating the site as much I'd like to. Right now, I'm working retail and but it looks like I might end up in mutual funds since I'm not having much luck finding work related to my major. My degree is technically a Communications degree, the full title being Philosophy: Communications and Critical Thinking. It hasn't proved particularly useful thus far, but I'm glad I got a higher education and I'm happy with the major I picked because it was something that I found genuinely interesting. I started off in Computer Engineering, and while I could do it, I soon realized that it wasn't something that I wanted to do everyday for the rest of my life. So I chose something that I liked. I come from a background where my dad was an English major and my mom was History major and both of them ended up making a decent living despite not doing anything even remotely related to their major. So I'm cool with it. Picking a marketable major isn't the most important thing in life.
Darklire
PostPosted: Oct 14 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yah, I was just joking around with it. I'm still unsure what I'm going to do with college. I'm thinking psychology major, but I have many different interests. If there were good jobs out there for theologists than I would jump on it. I migh join the army and have them help me pay for college.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Oct 15 2005 04:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there, my name is lordsathien,
I stumbled across this site doing a search for Mega Man content and stumbled across the coolness rankings of all the Robot Masters from 1-7 (with the curious omission of MM8). I've laughed quite a bit at this site you've got Syd, though I disagree about your remark that the Nintendo Power Pad being a "gateway" for more female gamers was a bad thing.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 15 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome!

8 was omitted for a few reasons. First of all, by the time MM8 came out, the X series had become the dominant Mega Man franchise. Secondly, I don't have the PS1 disc anymore. I have the Gamecube Mega Man Anniversary Collection, but I'm not sure if there are any emulators out there that would allow me to run and screenshot a GC disc using my DVD drive. Thirdly, the bosses in MM8 were all pretty horrible.

I also omitted RockMan & Forte, a SNES game from 1998 (yes, well after the N64 came out) that was later released on the GBA as Mega Man & Bass. It is generally considered to be Mega Man 9 since its setup is similar to the classic franchise.

And I have no problem with female gamers. If girls want to play Final Fantasy X2 or Mario Tennis or something legitimate, I'm cool with that. But I absolutely loathe bland games like The Sims that have no objectives or interesting game mechanics that have somehow found a niche market with female gamers. Watching a Sim flirt a guy or clean her apartment isn't fun; it's stupid.
Darklire
PostPosted: Oct 16 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The only thing I know from Mega Man is from Bob and George. (www.bobandgeorge.com).

I know you like old-school games Syd, but how much into the new stuff are you?

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 16 2005 03:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Of course I'm into newer stuff. I have a Gamecube and a DS, so I have many of the major titles for those: Resident Evil, Viewtiful Joe, Castlevania DS, Mario Sunshine, Timesplitters, Soul Calibur 2, Mortal Kombat: Deception and so forth. The games I'm most excited about right now that are going to be released are A Boy And His Blob for the DS and LoZ: Twilight Princess & Fire Emblem on the 'cube. Also I'm a huge fan of the Tekken series. One of my friends has PS2, so we play Tekken 5 and Tekken Tag from time to time. We used to play it more, but tempers tend to run high. Although the last one was about 5 years ago, I also really liked the Marvel fighting games by Capcom. Capcom vs. SNK is pretty weak though. I don't really do any PC gaming these days, but Half Life 2 looks amazing enough that I might still get it.
Darklire
PostPosted: Oct 16 2005 06:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You sound like a nintendo fanboy.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 17 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Darklire wrote:
You sound like a Nintendo fanboy.

Well, that's not entirely true. I enjoy Nintendo's first party games, but I'm not afraid to admit that PS2 has much better licensing deals and a more durable controller than the GC. I see it like this: There are a bunch of console game publishers out there but only a few put out really good games on a consistent basis. I would consider the top tier of game publishers to be: Capcom, Namco, Nintendo, Ubisoft, and Konami. The second tier would be companies like Midway, EA, Sega, and Rock Star. Square Enix is technically top tier too because every game they release these days is fucking phenomenal, but they release so few games, that it doesn't quite seem right to put them up there with the other greats.

Of the all the console game companies listed above, all of them are third party except for Nintendo. The other companies sign exclusive deals from time to time, but Nintendo's franchises are the only big ones that will truly be 100% exclusive to their console. Since I find games like Metroid Prime, Smash Brothers Melee, Paper Mario, and Legend of Zelda to be incredibly worthwhile, I own a Gamecube. And since I don't play enough video games to justify owning 2 consoles, it's the only current gen console I own. Does it suck not being able to play God of War, MvC2, Tekken, Shaolin Monks, Kingdom Hearts, Vice City, and Final Fantasy? You bet. But as soon as the PS3 release makes the PS2 near-worthless, I'll be grabbing one for sure.

As far as handhelds, the PSP is a nice gadget. Its ability to read memory sticks gives it all sorts of great potential for retro gaming and piracy. But right now it doesn't really have an games that pique my interest and the UMD discs are a terrible idea. Why would anyone pay $30 to watch Hellboy in 320x240 resultion when they could get the DVD for half that price? That's just stupid. The GBA is still king, but the DS is a pretty fun and fascinating gaming device. For $100 less than PSP, you get a system with a better game library and longer battery life. What's not to like about it?

While I respect both Sony & Nintendo's contributions to console and handheld gaming, I loathe Microsoft. The Xbox is little more than a glorified computer and almost all of its best games are available on the PC or PS2. Halo and Halo 2 are two of the most mediocre first person shooters that I've ever had the displeasure of playing. And I've played both Rise of the Triad and Daikatana.
Darklire
PostPosted: Oct 17 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

I do enjoy your enthusiam with Nintendo.

Though I don't know if after FFXI I can say I like Square. I adore FF but they raped my money and time and friends with that game.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Oct 17 2005 03:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

Square Enix is technically top tier too because every game they release these days is fucking phenomenal, but they release so few games, that it doesn't quite seem right to put them up there with the other greats.

Despite a scarcity of recent games, I'd still have say Square and Enix are my favorite companies, though moreso seperately than together. Let's face it, everything Square made before the merger was gold. And Enix is responsible for one of my top SNES games, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Darklire
PostPosted: Oct 17 2005 09:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Most people who say they like Square have not beheld the horror of FFXI.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 17 2005 11:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

Darklire wrote:
Most people who say they like Square have not beheld the horror of FFXI.

X2 looked kinda gay too. Didn't you play as female pop star or something retarded like that?
greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: Oct 17 2005 04:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In X2 you played as Yuna and the girls from FFX, but now you were somehow inexplicably turned into a J-Pop superstar. Instead of upgrading magic and whatnot, you learned new dance techniques and changed outfits.

That being said, I found the concept strangely compelling. I didn't get very far, however, because the game carried over a lot of the feel of FFX, which I'm still not sure I liked all that much.

And I know Syd really hates the X-Box, but I grudgingly accepted it a few years back for a couple of reasons: 1) Sega's irrational love of the machine. They gave MS Panzer Dragoon AND fucking Shenmue. That sealed it right there. 2) I'm not that big into online gaming, but X-Box Live IS the best console-based service out there (at least until Nintendo's awesome-sounding DS wifi service goes live next month). 3) Steel Batallion. I still can't believe I bought it, but getting behind that massive controller is some sort of religious experience...

That being said, one machine I presently DO despise is the PSP. A complete fucking waste of my money. Shit battery life, fragile form factor, loading time issues up the ass. I'm not even sure GTA:LCS can save my impression of the thing, especially with the DS overflowing with awesome titles recently. Besides, I'll take a 2-D Castlevania over GTA any day of the week. And no, UMD movies are NOT cool. Don't get me wrong, I hope the thing takes off (I don't want to lose my initial investment), but right now my system is collecting dust, with Lumines and Wipeout Pure being the only games I am openly positive about (though Hot Shots Golf and Burnout Legends are pretty good, too).
SamanthaMcPoopenstein
Title: Gadabout Ragamuffin
PostPosted: Oct 20 2005 04:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not a regular. I just wish I was.

I'll be honest. I hate confrontation, even if it's just the internet, and forums are usually clogged with little jerkoffs whose only entertainment is trying to start shit. No one can punch you in the teeth through your computer screen, after all.

Most of you guys on here seem pretty friendly, but I'm still just a wimp, so that's my lame excuse for not posting often.
Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 20 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SamanthaMcPoopenstein wrote:
I'll be honest. I hate confrontation, even if it's just the internet, and forums are usually clogged with little jerkoffs whose only entertainment is trying to start shit. No one can punch you in the teeth through your computer screen, after all.

Most of you guys on here seem pretty friendly, but I'm still just a wimp, so that's my lame excuse for not posting often.

I don't think anyone here is a "little jerkoff" most everyone here has college experience either having graduated or currently enrolled... I believe, I never polled anyone. College rants are much better than jerkoff rants.

Also, I don't think any fights have started on this board. There was one post I called anime "trendy" that could've started a flame war, but instead the other person was very mature and pointed out that he disagreed. That was that. I love this site.

Any shit clogging this site is just the shit of pop culture we can't stop discussing. We are all very friendly people ^_^

Welcome! Please post! A LOT!!! Very Happy Laughing

Shocked

Darklire
PostPosted: Oct 20 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a senior in high school, and then prolly joining the air force afterwords to help pay for my college tuition.

So yall won't have to deal with me for long.

Reply to topic

Jump to: