[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
"Things that piss you off" music edition

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 08 2009 01:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

The original cut of "Light My Fire" is too long for its own good. All that got cut out of the 3 minute radio version was unnecessary keyboard vamping.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: May 08 2009 03:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

On that note, the fact that the local (Vancouver) radio station plays the radio edit of 'Sweet Child O' Mine', but plays the album versions of 'Paradise City' and 'November Rain', both of which are longer than 'Child'. I'm sure many of you understand why this case specifically pisses me off.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 08 2009 09:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's bullshit. I have never heard a radio station play the radio edits of any GN'R songs, that I can recall. The only reason I've ever heard the "November Rain" radio edit is because I have the CD single. Heck, until the whole Janet Jackson incident caused a crackdown on radio and TV, Boston rock station WAAF used to play The Who's "Who Are You", Guns N' Roses' "Mr. Brownstone", and Pink Floyd's "Money" uncensored. I guess they figured that if you weren't listening for the swears, you wouldn't hear them. But the "motherfucker" in "Mr. Brownstone" is pretty blatant.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Captain_Pollution
Title: Hugh
PostPosted: May 08 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I've heard Eddie Vedder swear a few times on the radio. I guess he just mumbles enough he can slip in a fuck or two. And yeah, I'm of the belief that if they don't want to play the whole song, they shouldn't play the fucking song. I was extremely irritated the other day listening to the radio when November Rain was on and they cut out the entire "Don't you think that you need somebody" bit, like, fuck!

<Drew_Linky> Well, I've eaten vegetables all of once in my life.

IceWarm
PostPosted: May 08 2009 01:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Syd that reminds me when Kid Rock was on Raw back in 2000 and he said "Fuck" on live TV during one of his songs.

He says "Fuck" at the 3:29 mark.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: May 08 2009 01:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Songs that are awesome, but then go on for too damn long. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the occasional "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" or "Achilles: Agony and Ecstasy," but those are unique cases where the story demanded a longer song, and the style and sound is mixed up so its not repetitive. I hate eight or nine minute songs that could easily be trimmed to five. I love you, but I'm looking to you Metallica.

I can see where your coming from Hawk. My favorite BOC album Imaginos has many great songs but they are all plagued by pointless extend endings.

EDIT: after reading the above comments i have to agree, why censor music? I can understand a lot of the FCC's anal hangups but the swearing is part of the song and should be left along. Now when it comes to bands like the Who and Gun n Roses, their more popular songs only have a few swears that can be shrugged off. Now rap artist like Fiddy just over do it.

ImageImageImage
Links, pics, vids . . . I shall post these when given the chance
Transformers 2 Review: ". . . Did i mention SHIT BLOWS UP?!!!"

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: May 08 2009 08:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dave Mustaine fanboys who say that Metallica is crap, despite the fact that they obviously are appreciated by the Metal fanbase and most likely to be a BIG influence to next-generation bands.

Mainstream Rap being about the same things.(Money, Violence, and Female Ass)

People who say Grunge brought forth emo music, I think these people take Cobain's suicide/depression too much into account.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: May 09 2009 04:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Songs that are awesome, but then go on for too damn long. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the occasional "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" or "Achilles: Agony and Ecstasy," but those are unique cases where the story demanded a longer song, and the style and sound is mixed up so its not repetitive. I hate eight or nine minute songs that could easily be trimmed to five. I love you, but I'm looking to you Metallica.

Don't forget Opeth!

Greg the White
PostPosted: May 09 2009 03:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

People who insist emo exists

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

JRA
PostPosted: May 12 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Songs that are awesome, but then go on for too damn long. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the occasional "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" or "Achilles: Agony and Ecstasy,"

If you like a song that has a fucking cymbal solo, you have no authority to delcare what's "too long" and what isn't. Very Happy

That being said, it would be nice if Metallica dropped the fucking "...and Justice For All" shit with making every song over 5 minutes long. Not to mention the fact that Justice was 65 minutes long (which is too long to begin with), but on every release nowadays they practically stretch the boundaries of the CD. I can't help but feel that Load wouldn't be as hated if it was 40 minutes instead of 78.
Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Jun 12 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Music that can make your eardrums stop working from the first note. >_>

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Deadmau_5pra
Title: Amatuer film/podcaster
PostPosted: Jun 13 2009 01:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Grindcore: Are they fucking serious?

[ Not a metal hater, alot of Metal music out there I consider true forms of Art. ]

Also people won't give jazz a chance.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Greg the White
PostPosted: Jun 14 2009 04:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

SpraCoalee wrote:

[ Not a metal hater, alot of Metal music out there I consider true forms of Art. ]

Grindcore is ass. It's just guys wailing on their guitars without any sort of tempo or coherence, while some over-roided turd screams about killing babies and screaming the n-word.

I think what most people don't give a chance is free-form jazz. I'm not talking about the classic, 1920's-style stuff, I mean the stuff that just sounds like a saxophone player smashing his keys as fast as possible. It sounds awful to me.

Okay, more from my list:

-PC baiting. Grow some talent instead of trying to make people gasp to gain notoriety. Grindcore guys do this a lot (yet another reason to hate the genre, I saw an opening grindcore band one time where the singer just screamed "NIGGER" for the first ten minutes).

-Over-doing "re-masters." I bought Operation Ivy's Energy re-master not so long ago, and it sounds like crap, because all they did was remove the fuzz so that every song is just an ear-aching blast of treble. Some types of music, and poorly-recorded music are better without the re-master.

-Aging punk writers who whine that "punk is dead" because you can't be bothered to learn about new bands instead of just clinging to your old Black Flag albums.
[/i]

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jun 14 2009 09:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

You sir, Mr. White are my hero.

Releasing "Energy" again with the tinkering really made it sound damp, like the drums sounded like wet cardboard. Just awful.

Not just punk writers, but older singer's and band members of older punk bands are sounding whinier and lamer as they age, and it sucks. Henry Rollins, Greg Graffin, and Jello Biafra have always stayed sharp, though.

JStrangiato
Title: El Hombre Strangiato
PostPosted: Jun 14 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Greg the White wrote:
SpraCoalee wrote:

Grindcore is ass. It's just guys wailing on their guitars without any sort of tempo or coherence, while some over-roided turd screams about killing babies and screaming the n-word.

What grind bands have you heard? I generally agree with you that recent grindcore isn't that good, but the early bands are somewhat enjoyable, like Repulsion:

As for the n-word, my impression of grind was that it was, if anything, very PC due to the punk roots of the genre. Of course, there's always Anal Cunt, but they're not too good of an example of "real" grindcore.

My music/humor blog (R.I.P.): http://lavidastrangiato.blogspot.com/
Chondra "Mrs. Claudio" Sanchez on Enshin a.k.a. Jake Strangiato wrote:
I really like this person.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jun 14 2009 01:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What Enshin said, check out some early Napalm Death if you get the chance, I'd recommend Fear Emptiness Despair.

Chile Guy
Title: Token Latino Otaku
PostPosted: Jun 14 2009 06:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have an important announcement.
*ahem*

McFly is the worst band ever. EVER.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jun 15 2009 01:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Getting excited to get the Killers' third album, then soon discovering that everything outside of four songs sucks.

LowEndLem
Title: Not Gay
PostPosted: Jun 15 2009 02:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
Getting excited to get the Killers' third album, then soon discovering that everything sucks.

Fixed. Laughing

<docinsano>i beat off using save states

<Tako> But, brontosaurs ate plants. It wouldn't be a threat to Jesus.

Why? Fuck you, that's why.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jun 15 2009 03:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

LowEndLem wrote:
Cameron wrote:
Getting excited to get the Killers' third album, then soon discovering that everything sucks.

Fixed. Laughing

Hey, "Spaceman", "Human", "Goodnight, Travel Well" and "Losing Touch" are good, but yeah, everything else sounds like a complete copy of Maroon 5, and I hate Maroon 5.

Tyop
Title: Grammar Nazi
PostPosted: Jun 15 2009 02:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The majority of hip hop skits. They certainly have their purpose on concept albums like 3 Feet High and Rising or The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. And some of them can be genuinely funny or otherwise contribute to the overall feeling of an album. But most of them are nothing but blatant filler, with things like random answering machine messages or stoned-out conversations about weed replacing actual music that the artist was too lazy to write.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Jun 15 2009 03:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

enshinkarateman wrote:

As for the n-word, my impression of grind was that it was, if anything, very PC due to the punk roots of the genre. Of course, there's always Anal Cunt, but they're not too good of an example of "real" grindcore.

Most of the ones I've heard mostly just try to sound like they're not even saying anything when they scream, so it seems like they figure that "I'm gonna scream 'NIGGER GOOK TWAT I KILL BABIES!' in a gruff, barely discernable fashion because it's funny and stuff." It's annoying and juvenile, and doesn't help any argument that you may want your genre taken seriously.

One against me: I always hate it when I have to break my "only buy the whole CD, screw iTunes," rule because of bands out there who I mostly dislike, but have one or two songs that I love. I'd go buy the album, but I'm not going to buy from Against Me when the only song I like by them is "Pints of Guinness Make You Strong."

Deadmau_5pra
PostPosted: Jun 15 2009 04:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's just totally uncalled for, as for free speech? I doubt they give a shit about that or their band. They say shit like that just to get attention because they don't get it from anyone else.

It's all about getting a reaction and to "shock" people.

Deadmau_5pra
PostPosted: Jun 15 2009 04:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tyop wrote:
The majority of hip hop skits. They certainly have their purpose on concept albums like 3 Feet High and Rising or The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. And some of them can be genuinely funny or otherwise contribute to the overall feeling of an album. But most of them are nothing but blatant filler, with things like random answering machine messages or stoned-out conversations about weed replacing actual music that the artist was too lazy to write.

QFT.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 15 2009 05:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Greg the White wrote:
but I'm not going to buy from Against Me when the only song I like by them is "Pints of Guinness Make You Strong."

But the critics loved that album!

I prefer New Wave.
Reply to topic

Jump to: