[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
"Things that piss you off" music edition

Reply to topic
slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Jan 02 2013 04:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Etch wrote:
When the "classic rock" station plays Pearl Jam and Nirvana... No... just no. Because when I hear "classic rock" I think of '90's alternative.

A-fucking-MEN! I was going to say that. Nirvana is not fucking classic rock! It's fucking teenager shit music! Of course I'm talking about teenagers who are in their thirties now but still, Nirvana fucking SUCKS! I don't even care much for classic rock, but FUCK! Calling Nirvana classic rock is like calling 'Twilight' a retro vampire movie. I must be getting old when 90's teeny rock is being played on a classic rock station. I'll be the bitterest old fucking man in the world some day when they start playing Justin Beiber on an 'oldies' station.

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jan 02 2013 02:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

slapolakinkaido wrote:
Etch wrote:
When the "classic rock" station plays Pearl Jam and Nirvana... No... just no. Because when I hear "classic rock" I think of '90's alternative.

A-fucking-MEN! I was going to say that. Nirvana is not fucking classic rock! It's fucking teenager shit music! Of course I'm talking about teenagers who are in their thirties now but still, Nirvana fucking SUCKS! I don't even care much for classic rock, but FUCK! Calling Nirvana classic rock is like calling 'Twilight' a retro vampire movie. I must be getting old when 90's teeny rock is being played on a classic rock station. I'll be the bitterest old fucking man in the world some day when they start playing Justin Beiber on an 'oldies' station.

I hope this is satire.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Jan 02 2013 05:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
slapolakinkaido wrote:
Etch wrote:

I hope this is satire.

I do to. I think Nirvana and Pearl Jam are both old enough to be considered classic. Nirvana's first album came out in 1989, and Pearl Jam's first album came out in 1991. That's 23 and 21 years, respectively, almost 24 and 22.

On a somewhat related note, I hate when people call a song older than a month an old song.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 02 2013 05:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When I was 4 or 5, it was late 80's/early 90's and we'd call things from the 70's classic rock. I see no reason why we can't call things with a similar length in time in between time periods"classic rock".

Though to be fair, I'll probably always rather refer to Pearl Jam and Nirvana as being 90's alternative. Just like I'd call Led Zeppelin "hard rock" as opposed to "classic rock" while something like Kiss or Boston I'd call "classic rock".

I've confused myself, going to bed now. Bye!

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Jan 02 2013 05:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

God dammit. Besides the term itself can go to hell, if anything is classic rock its musicians like Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly. Nirvana is Grunge, if you really need to define it. And Nirvana is great. It plays in the same league as Led Zeppelin.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 02 2013 06:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
And Nirvana is great. It plays in the same league as Led Zeppelin.

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Jan 02 2013 06:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Led Zeppelin was the first hard rock band. Brought up ACDC and Deep Purple. Wich made Metallica and Slayer possible. I am not saying Led Zep is objectivly a good band, but highly influenced music as we know it. Just like Nirvana.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 02 2013 07:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Led Zeppelin was the first hard rock band. Brought up ACDC and Deep Purple.

Deep Purple started in 1968. Led Zeppelin's first album wasn't till 1969. I don't understand where you're going with this.

And my use of that .gif was mainly in jest. I just really like to use it.

slapolakinkaido
PostPosted: Jan 03 2013 05:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

And Nirvana is great. It plays in the same league as Led Zeppelin.

I hope THIS is satire.
Logan wrote:
Nirvana's first album came out in 1989, and Pearl Jam's first album came out in 1991. That's 23 and 21 years, respectively, almost 24 and 22.

Holy shit that's right! I must be one old bitter mother fucking asshole!

Cameron
PostPosted: Jan 03 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

slapolakinkaido wrote:
Holy shit that's right! I must be one old bitter mother fucking asshole!

slapolakinkaido cool your jets

Alowishus
PostPosted: Jan 03 2013 04:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't call Nirvana or Pearl Jam classic rock at all. It's always the 60s/70s bands to me. Albeit I am fond of both them.

Though I get that some people don't like them. However I find that people who don't like grunge or alternative rock etc. are generally the people who are annoyed that "it killed metal".

...and I say thank fuck it did because most 80s 'popular' metal is absolute shit. Like I would buy it in the bargain bin shit.

My hate list:
Cinderella
Motley Crue
Thunder
Def Leppard
Europe
KISS
Poison
Quiet Riot
Skid Row
Twisted Sister

Those bands were literally the pop acts of their day, the Justin Biebers of their days. There is a lot of good 80s metal though too, though some of it is very early alternative metal/sludge and then there is thrash metal.

The other thing is that a lot of bands who have been around a long time have TERRIBLE discographies. I've voiced this on Sydlexia.com before I am nearly certain - how bands release an album, it has no good songs on it and they tour on the back of that album playing basically a greatest hits tour - aka bands who are still around just to suck the money out of you.

...and when I say this people always get buttmad because I name popular bands who in reality have released a few good records but then have a lot of absolute shit records - and they are usually all their most recent records.

For example:
Van Halen
Aerosmith
AC/DC
Rolling Stones

Try to think of one actually 'good' AC/DC album from the last 25-30 years. Not to mention with AC/DC all their songs sound the same.

They are like Motorhead, all their songs are the fucking same thing.
Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Jan 03 2013 05:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Led Zeppelin was the first hard rock band.

That is objectively untrue. There are perfectly fine examples of hard rock at least as early as 1963 (when the Yardbirds formed) and I would argue, as far back as 1953 when groups like Little Junior's Blue Flames were kicking around. Zep didn't start recording until 1969, and there were dozens of successful hard rock bands by then. At the very least you have to acknowledge that Cream, the Stones, Hendrix and the Yardbirds were recording hard rock by then.

This kinda brings up something in music that pisses me off: Led Zepplin worship. Zep's a great band, don't get me wrong. I own their entirely discography. But their fans want to pretend that they were the first to do a lot of things that they weren't. Zepplin's music was outstanding, its players some of the best in the business at the time. But they weren't fundamentally doing anything new. By the time they came around, blues rock, hard rock, progressive rock all had a lot of momentum going. Even metal and punk had gotten their early starts. It's easy to argue that they "perfected" a number genres; polished them. But I don't think they were very big innovators.

"Spanish bombs, yot' quierro y finito
Yo te querda oh ma corazón
Oh ma corazón, oh ma corazón" - The Clash, Spanish Bombs

Alowishus
PostPosted: Jan 03 2013 06:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:
Led Zeppelin was the first hard rock band.

That is objectively untrue. There are perfectly fine examples of hard rock at least as early as 1963 (when the Yardbirds formed) and I would argue, as far back as 1953 when groups like Little Junior's Blue Flames were kicking around. Zep didn't start recording until 1969, and there were dozens of successful hard rock bands by then. At the very least you have to acknowledge that Cream, the Stones, Hendrix and the Yardbirds were recording hard rock by then.

This kinda brings up something in music that pisses me off: Led Zepplin worship. Zep's a great band, don't get me wrong. I own their entirely discography. But their fans want to pretend that they were the first to do a lot of things that they weren't. Zepplin's music was outstanding, its players some of the best in the business at the time. But they weren't fundamentally doing anything new. By the time they came around, blues rock, hard rock, progressive rock all had a lot of momentum going. Even metal and punk had gotten their early starts. It's easy to argue that they "perfected" a number genres; polished them. But I don't think they were very big innovators.

I agree 100% with this. Not to mention that they "stole" blues standards and claimed them as their own songs.

I like Led Zeppelin, don't get me wrong but some of the similarities between their songs and others are too uncanny.
abufi
PostPosted: Jan 03 2013 07:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:
[telling it like it is goes here]

wow WOW everything in this post is spot on, seriously. most glam was shameless trash that you can't possibly defend with a straight face. hit the nail on the head about discographies, too. every fucking AC/DC album i've ever listened to starts out with 2-3 decent tracks and then the rest is a completely unmemorable bore. every goddamn time.

also man i know this post was made ages ago but i seriously just have to throw in a bit or two:

Rake wrote:
I hate where the metal spotlight has gone. All the popular metal used to be really fucking good. Fuckin' Pantera, Sepultura, Anthrax.. Thats what you used to hear whenever fucking ANYONE said metal. Fuck, even later on it was still decent with shit like Fear Factory taking more focus than other crap. But NOW. Fuckin' now all the magazines and film clips and focus is on this ridiculous dime a dozen breakdown happy three part band name earhole big enough to fist fucking cosplay hair orientated I dont know how to play anything that isnt in a drop tuned harmonic minor scale fucking fairy metal. Fucking All Shall Perish, They Shall Fall, Remains The Day, A Day To Remember, Today Is The Day, Lamb of God, fucking oooooon and on it goes. Thank Christ for the few bands keeping the steel alive. Thankyou Nile, Meshuggah, Devin Townsend, Necrophagist, Decapitated, Animals As Leaders, Origin, Blotted Science, The Faceless and Psycroptic even though your last release was poor in comparison to its predecessor.

Please tell me that when all these fucking toddlers grow out of thinking Disturbed is gritty, trailblazing metal, we can put those wasted credits where where they should be - in the machines that have been grinding out A-grade iron all the while, regardless of having a bunch of trend lemmings to suck thier dicks and punch the fucking air for them.

a) people felt the exact same way about pantera back in the late 90s as all these metalcore bands you're dropping now
b) i'm like 99% sure you lumped today is the day in there solely based on their metalcore-esque name because they are a gritty-ass noise rock band who sound nothing like those other bands in there haha
c) i'll sympathize with it being really lame that such tame, polished, tepid bands are what all the kids are raging about these days, but the harder, thrashier stuff has always been in the underground. and hell, is it even a bad thing? sure, success for musicians who deserve it is wonderful, but it's still there and it's still great, and that's what matters, right? plus you won't have to pay $200 to sit in the back of a football stadium whenever you want to see bands like this live Laughing

annoying things about music...
-dave mustaine. holy cow, guy, please just shut the fuck up and play your guitar. you were good at that (not as good as chris poland, but still good). please. just read a fucking book before you give another hair-tearingly ignorant, uninformed rant of an interview.
-punk/hardcore records always having such limited pressings. so much great stuff completely out of print and unobtainable (for a price under like fucking $60 off ebay, anyway).
-vinyl records not coming with digital downloads. it's 2013, man... c'mon.

Cameron
PostPosted: Jan 03 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:
They are like Motorhead, all their songs are the fucking same thing.

I'm glad somebody feels the same way about them as I do. I got their album Ace of Spades thinking of it was going to be ball-busting face meltage like "Love Me Like a Reptile", and while the album does indeed contain a satisfactory dose of tit-shattering rockage, all of the songs really run together towards the latter half of the album.

abufi
PostPosted: Jan 03 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i love that one motorhead song where the bass is all like DUN DUNDUN DUNDUN DUN DUN DUN DUN yeah you know the one

slapolakinkaido
PostPosted: Jan 04 2013 04:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

All AC/DC songs are like RRAAAAYYYRRAYYYRR GRREEYYTTRRRRAAAAAHHHRR, RAR RAR RAR. Yeah, like that.

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Jan 04 2013 05:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's always been my beef with the Ramones. The Ramones only ever recorded 3 songs: Beat on the Brat, Blitzkrieg Bop and Sheena is a Punk Rocker. The rest of their 13 odd albums, sparing only a half dozen exceptions, are pretty much those three songs recycled.

abufi
PostPosted: Jan 04 2013 08:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

man with AC/DC i could at least stand hearing basically slight variations on the same song over and over again when it was bon scott. he was fun. then there was brian SKREEE REEE BREEEEEEAUGH johnson and holy god that killed anything appealing about listening to them whatsoever for me.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jan 30 2013 05:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

If the radio stations aren't going to play the end of November Rain, they shouldn't play it at all. Shit's worse than blue balls.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 30 2013 06:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:
If the radio stations aren't going to play the end of November Rain, they shouldn't play it at all. Shit's worse than blue balls.

It'd be sweet if they only played the end and left out the other goofy 80%. Baiting

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jan 30 2013 06:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
sidewaydriver wrote:

It'd be sweet if they only played the end and left out the other goofy 80%. Baiting

Effective immediately, our friendship is hereby terminated.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Cameron
PostPosted: Jan 30 2013 01:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:
JoshWoodzy wrote:
sidewaydriver wrote:

Effective immediately, our friendship is hereby terminated.

By that same accord, I hate when radio DJs talk over the first 30 or so seconds of the song, or at least keep talking until the vocals in the song start. Intros exist for a reason. Sad

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Jan 30 2013 03:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be happier with my DJs if they never played November Rain at all.

Cameron
PostPosted: Jan 31 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:
I'd be happier with my DJs if they never played November Rain at all.

I was waiting for someone to say this. I was too afraid to say it myself.

Reply to topic

Jump to: