SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
"Things that piss you off" music edition

Reply to topic
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: May 21 2010 05:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am not the biggest Beatles fan, I mean I get their influence on certain bands and shit, blah blah. But I don't think putting a band that was only making records for like 6 years on a pedestal does anyone any good. I mean, if I can listen to damn near every song a band recorded in a relatively short period of time, then their influence may be a tad overstated.

That said, I enjoyed "Revolver" and "Abbey Road" a little bit.

Greg the White
PostPosted: May 22 2010 01:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

joshwoodzy wrote:
I am not the biggest Beatles fan, I mean I get their influence on certain bands and shit, blah blah. But I don't think putting a band that was only making records for like 6 years on a pedestal does anyone any good. I mean, if I can listen to damn near every song a band recorded in a relatively short period of time, then their influence may be a tad overstated.

That's why my vote for "best band" goes to either The Kinks or The Who. They always seemed to take The Beatles' hit-or-miss experimentation, and put their own spin on it, frequently improving on the formulas.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: May 22 2010 01:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, I love The Kinks so much more than any other British band, for sure. I could listen to them all day, and it's almost like they have a song for every occasion. The Who is a band that I dig almost as much, I just get kinda tired of hearing Roger Daltrey's voice after a while, though. Doesn't stop me from loving the music.

Greg the White
PostPosted: May 22 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

And to clarify, I wasn't going on that whole Green Day thing because they weren't "PUNX" or whatever. It was mostly that idol worship of Armstrong, a decent songwriter, that led to the new album, which just felt so lifeless compared to a lot of their work.

Anyhow, I'm also pissed at myself for constantly hating on the Andrew Jackson Jihad after only listening to a few songs. I just listened to People II: The Reckoning the other day, and I think it may be my favorite song right now.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: May 23 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lady Gaga playing at lollapalooza. Kurt Cobain must be spinning in his grave.

Er, his ashes must be spinning in the...

Ah fuck it.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

JRA
PostPosted: May 23 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

joshwoodzy wrote:

Ever since reading Jim DeRogatis's scathing modern review of "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" I've never been able to like it the same way again.

Mind you I never thought it was the best album ever to begin with, but now I merely see it as a mish mash of wondering nonsense sandwiched between an awesome opener and closer.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: May 23 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
Lady Gaga playing at lollapalooza. Kurt Cobain must be spinning in his grave.

Eh, so long as she does her piano stuff it should be fine...

Who am I kidding. She may be freakishly talented but she hasn't looked back since selling her soul to pop music.
Captain_Pollution
Title: Hugh
PostPosted: May 23 2010 07:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

joshwoodzy wrote:
But I don't think putting a band that was only making records for like 6 years on a pedestal does anyone any good. I mean, if I can listen to damn near every song a band recorded in a relatively short period of time, then their influence may be a tad overstated.

That reasoning seems silly to me. It doesn't matter how much work they put out, it matters the balance of popularity and individuality the work they do put out has, the influence. Their music certainly wasn't radically different from the music scene they emerged from, but they did introduce a lot of things to a lot of people.

Referring to someone else, I also think it's a bit silly to say the Beatles were just four white guys who repackaged black music. The original, white rock and roll artists of the fifties can be criticised for this, but the Beatles grew up listening to both the black and the white artists. Elvis had been around for almost a decade when their debut came out. And when people call the Beatles innovative, anyway, they usually aren't talking about their early work.

<Drew_Linky> Well, I've eaten vegetables all of once in my life.

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: May 24 2010 06:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

The fact that "Tight" routinely goes for $150-$200 on ebay. I really want to own this album and refuse to download it. Apparently it can be found for around $80, but I never seen it go that low.
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: May 26 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

nihilisticglee wrote:
The fact that "Tight" routinely goes for $150-$200 on ebay. I really want to own this album and refuse to download it. Apparently it can be found for around $80, but I never seen it go that low.

I know how you feel; one of my favorite albums of all-time goes for like sixty bucks on eBay, but sometimes downloading is the only option.

eatpork
PostPosted: May 30 2010 09:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hate when I'm driving and there's a song that has horn honking sound effects, that should be illegal.

JStrangiato
Title: El Hombre Strangiato
PostPosted: Jun 14 2010 08:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

eatpork wrote:
I hate when I'm driving and there's a song that has horn honking sound effects, that should be illegal.

What's worse is cop sirens. I almost crashed by car this one time by jerking my head around trying to see if there was a cop behind me.

My music/humor blog (R.I.P.): http://lavidastrangiato.blogspot.com/
Chondra "Mrs. Claudio" Sanchez on Enshin a.k.a. Jake Strangiato wrote:
I really like this person.

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Jun 29 2010 01:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

that folks on my age dislike elvis. i could kill these suckers!

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Jul 05 2010 05:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pot heads who claim that 'Dark Side of the Moon' is SOOOOOO much better to listen to while high. Fuck you, I like the deep lyrics to remain deep, not funny.

And don't get me wrong, I don't mind pot heads. Prefer them, actually. But it pisses me off when they try to invade my music bubble.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jul 05 2010 07:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Don't assume any zonked out 60's or 70's bands lyrics are deep. Assume they are a zonked out lyrics that probably don't mean shit.

It's hard to swallow that, but after hearing so many musicians and song writers flat out say that songs that I thought for the longest time had some deep meaning were just shit they scribbled out to fill an album out, it's hard to picture any musician as all knowing or profound. It sucks when that reality bites you.

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Jul 05 2010 08:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

that the shangri-las only got 1 really good song, wich is "Give him a great big kiss". Those girls did have so much potential...

@josh: yeah its really like that. even bob dylan was an ordinary dude who spent his money on leather jackets and motorcycles. I guess all people are equal in what they can say, or how much the can say.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Apr 08 2011 09:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

fuck. i hate getting paid late

due to that, i was unable to buy tickets to the Talib Kweli show tonight. Sad

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Derpalicious
Title: Fueled by Ramen
PostPosted: Apr 24 2011 03:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Excessive auto-tune.

One or two lines in a song can add a nice, quirky effect to the song. When the whole damn thing is fucking SATURATED with it... I want to kill things.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Apr 24 2011 06:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Derpalicious wrote:
Excessive auto-tune.

One or two lines in a song can add a nice, quirky effect to the song. When the whole damn thing is fucking SATURATED with it... I want to kill things.

My wife was trying to remember the name of a song.

I suggested that she use www.midomi.com to find it. Her reply was that there was no way that she could hum or sing it. A few days later she heard it and told me to listen. It was an entire song super auto-tuned. She was right... there is no way to sing or hum that shit.

pi0x
Title: Nerd
PostPosted: May 15 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

That artists put out lots of good music and get popular, and then put out really sucky music just to make more money...
Greg the White
PostPosted: Oct 14 2011 07:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As a punk fan, I hate fucking Rolling Stone-esque music writers who feel like they have to cram all of their classic rock heroes who are losing relevance into my favorite genre. We've worked for 30 years for people to finally get that the Sex Pistols suck and Hipsters (the pre-2007ish kind) that The Ramones never sold out, and now these magazine assholes are trying to tell us that The Talking Heads and Elvis Costello are punk, and all of these early 60's bands actually invented punk? Fuck off.

King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Oct 14 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I agree, Even Elvis Costello, while I am a fan of his, would never say he is punk
You can argue when the talking heads first STARTED, they were punk, but what they are most known for certainly is not

Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Oct 15 2011 04:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I agree that Elvis Costello and the Talking Heads aren't punk, but punk was pretty much invented by MC5 and The Stooges in the 60s. I mean, listen to Kick out the Jams or Search and Destory and tell me those aren't punk songs.
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Oct 18 2011 04:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When something totally awesome starts happening in a song...and then it fades out.

Rayk
Title: just got here
PostPosted: Oct 21 2011 10:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Drew Linky wrote:
Pot heads who claim that 'Dark Side of the Moon' is SOOOOOO much better to listen to while high. Fuck you, I like the deep lyrics to remain deep, not funny.

And don't get me wrong, I don't mind pot heads. Prefer them, actually. But it pisses me off when they try to invade my music bubble.

...dark side of the moon is so much better on mushrooms.

Anyhow, music that pisses me off is any three cord bands that some how made it big(nickleback) and all the teenies that disney is pimping out with autotuner.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -
- Bruce Lee

Reply to topic

Jump to: