[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
"Things that piss you off" music edition

Reply to topic
IceWarm
PostPosted: May 03 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
IceWarm wrote:
Stupid sub-genre names. Stuff like "post-hardcore", "nu-metal", and so on. Do we really need more pointless labels for music? Just file it under something like "Metal" or "Rock", there is no need for dumb sub-genres just to make the artists/bands feel more individual.

Oh God yes. Hate it.

I assume Bruce Dickinson and Eric Adams are exempted from the singers-who-don't-paly-instruments hate... Wink

Of course, but the list of singers that I like that don't play an instrument is fairly small for me. I mostly hate it in "Screamo" bands like I said. There is no talent involved in just screaming in my opinion.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Greg the White
PostPosted: May 04 2009 03:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Some more:

-Guys dismissing any band that doesn't immediately make them feel tougher for listening to by labelling it as "emo."
-Free-form jazz. I love Charlie, Louis, Duke, all that good stuff. All because they were talented, not because they just wailed on their instruments making random, horrible noises, passing it off as "music."

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

IceWarm
PostPosted: May 04 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Artists/Bands who refuse to print lyrics in their album booklets and the reason they give for not doing it is something like "If people can't figure out the lyrics or what they mean that's their problem."

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Greg the White
PostPosted: May 05 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

IceWarm wrote:
Artists/Bands who refuse to print lyrics in their album booklets and the reason they give for not doing it is something like "If people can't figure out the lyrics or what they mean that's their problem."

I was just dropping in to the thread to post the same thing, but you beat me to it.

Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: May 05 2009 01:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The fact that I never grew long hair.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: May 06 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

IceWarm wrote:

Seconded, I never liked this mentality. What if I literally just can't understand what they're saying?

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: May 06 2009 03:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
IceWarm wrote:

Seconded, I never liked this mentality. What if I literally just can't understand what they're saying?

Not just that, what if they really never bothered to write any lyrics and are just covering it up?! Shocked

Buzz_Killington
Title: The Kill That Buzzes
PostPosted: May 06 2009 07:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

enshinkarateman wrote:
Screamo/deathcore bullshit that tries to pass itself off as metal. I've ranted on this before, but it had to be said.
Also, blatant filler, i.e. Tool's "Disgustipated." Fuck that waste of space.

This got my attention, I am a fan of a lot of types of music, Emo, Metal, Rock. One of the types of music I like is Death Metal, Deathcore and Screamo sucks balls, but real Death Metal is good.

This signature is false. This Is A Joke

JStrangiato
Title: El Hombre Strangiato
PostPosted: May 06 2009 07:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Buzz_Killington wrote:
enshinkarateman wrote:
Screamo/deathcore bullshit that tries to pass itself off as metal. I've ranted on this before, but it had to be said.

This got my attention, I am a fan of a lot of types of music, Emo, Metal, Rock. One of the types of music I like is Death Metal, Deathcore and Screamo sucks balls, but real Death Metal is good.

While I can't say much good for Emo, Death Metal indeed kicks ass, especially classic Florida Death Metal like Obituary, Morbid Angel, etc.
Lately these three bands have drawn my ire: http://lavidastrangiato.blogspot.com/2009/05/unholy-trinity-of-shitty-music.html
For the TL;DR crowd, it's Brokencyde, Psyopus, and IWRESTLEDABEARONCE. How the fuck anyone can consider that unlistenable shit music is beyond me. "HAY GAIZ I CAN TAP FAST ON TEH GEETAR!" Yeah, but you can't write a fucking song to save your life, you douche!

My music/humor blog (R.I.P.): http://lavidastrangiato.blogspot.com/
Chondra "Mrs. Claudio" Sanchez on Enshin a.k.a. Jake Strangiato wrote:
I really like this person.

Buzz_Killington
Title: The Kill That Buzzes
PostPosted: May 06 2009 07:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

enshinkarateman wrote:
Buzz_Killington wrote:
enshinkarateman wrote:

While I can't say much good for Emo, Death Metal indeed kicks ass, especially classic Florida Death Metal like Obituary, Morbid Angel, etc.
Lately these three bands have drawn my ire: http://lavidastrangiato.blogspot.com/2009/05/unholy-trinity-of-shitty-music.html
For the TL;DR crowd, it's Brokencyde, Psyopus, and IWRESTLEDABEARONCE. How the fuck anyone can consider that unlistenable shit music is beyond me. "HAY GAIZ I CAN TAP FAST ON TEH GEETAR!" Yeah, but you can't write a fucking song to save your life, you douche!

I don't know if you have heard of them, but one of my favorite Death Metal bands is "BloodBath" their singer, Mikael Akerfeldt (Excuse my spelling) is amazing at growling. Cannibal Corpse is also pretty good.

This signature is false. This Is A Joke

JStrangiato
PostPosted: May 06 2009 07:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Buzz_Killington wrote:
enshinkarateman wrote:
Buzz_Killington wrote:
enshinkarateman wrote:

I don't know if you have heard of them, but one of my favorite Death Metal bands is "BloodBath" their singer, Mikael Akerfeldt (Excuse my spelling) is amazing at growling. Cannibal Corpse is also pretty good.

I have enjoyed what I've heard from Bloodbath, and I do dig CC. But let's not derail this thread too much. Twisted Evil

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: May 06 2009 09:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

enshinkarateman wrote:
Buzz_Killington wrote:
enshinkarateman wrote:
Buzz_Killington wrote:
enshinkarateman wrote:

I have enjoyed what I've heard from Bloodbath, and I do dig CC. But let's not derail this thread too much. Twisted Evil

wait wait wait, screamo crunk? Confused WHAT!?

That vid sounds terrible, and makes me ashamed of my idea to merge death metal and gore rap. Sad

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: May 06 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

enshinkarateman wrote:

uggg, I may have to see brokeNCYDE this summer. Not looking forward to that.

Also, to stay on topic, when a band plans on only one tour date in your area and you can't go because you are returning from a trip out of the country that day.
JRA
PostPosted: May 06 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dear karateman,

I was looking through your blog and came across the tag "Fred Durst getting hit in the nuts." I excitedly clicked on it hoping for a video of exactly that, only to find that no such video exists.

You hath displeased me. Evil

You will be displeased to know that Neil Peart actually likes Vertical Horizon (or at least their first album).
JStrangiato
PostPosted: May 06 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JRA wrote:
Dear karateman,

I was looking through your blog and came across the tag "Fred Durst getting hit in the nuts." I excitedly clicked on it hoping for a video of exactly that, only to find that no such video exists.

You hath displeased me. Evil

You will be displeased to know that Neil Peart actually likes Vertical Horizon (or at least their first album).

Alas, I am displeased with myself, and displeased with the Internet itself that we do not have a video of Fred Durst getting hit in the nuts. Perhaps this video of Zakk Wylde ranting will appease you:

And Neil Peart is God, so he can listen to whatever he likes.
And while I'm at it, live albums with excessive "dead air" or crowd banter. I'm here for the music, I don't want two minute outros that's just the band wanking around (*coughLiveShitcough*) Speaking of Live Shit, that would be the best damn live album ever if there wasn't a 20-minute version of Seek and Destroy, and 20-minute guitar/bass wank. That could have been at least eight more songs.

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: May 06 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

when a radio station boasts that they have 'no repeats' then play the same damn song you've heard them play a million times already!

ImageImageImage
Links, pics, vids . . . I shall post these when given the chance
Transformers 2 Review: ". . . Did i mention SHIT BLOWS UP?!!!"

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: May 06 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:
Things in music that piss me off? Shit, you guys shouldn't have done this.

- Britney Spears
- The media's exploitation of Britney Spears
- Radio
- MTV
- Side 2 of Def Leppard's Hysteria
- How fucking underrated Buddy Guy is
- People who will instantly write off a band (see: Van Halen and Motley Crue) when they try something other than cock rock anthems and lyrics comparing women to food.
- On that note, Sammy Hagar's lyric-writing abilities.
- Ignorance to highly influential and important artists.
- The whole 'it was Yoko's fault' bullshit.
- Kurt Cobain (though this goes beyond a music thing).
- St. Anger
- The sad, sad attempts at being politically relevant ("just like Rage Against The Machine!!11 Very Happy "). I'm looking at you Green Day.
- Fall Out Boy
- Natasha Bedingfield.
- Miley Cyrus.
- The fact that the Jonas Brothers have a record deal.
- The fact that 'female lead singer' is actually taken into consideration when deciding whether or not to listen to a band.
- Today's 'Rap' and 'Hip-Hop'. "I'm rich, I treat females like shit, and I have metal in my teeth. I am awesome, and you are not. And I'm not going to acknowledge that I would be nothing without you."
- The fact that I felt I had to be embarassed for listening to certain bands not even that long ago.
- Metallica fanboys.
- Dragonforce.
- Whatever the newest, most popular form of "extreme" metal is nowadays. Playing a million miles an hour is not talent. Precision doesn't even equal talent. Go listen to Hendrix fucko.
- Any band that wore bands or facepaint after Alice Cooper.
- That it is impossible to find Black Sabbath albums that don't feature Ozzy or Dio.
- Arguments about who is better. Who gives a fuck? Ozzy is a frontman, Dio is a singer. See also: Van Halen, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Metallica/Megadeth.
- My own beligerence and closed-mindedness towards certain bands, like Poison (there you go Syd).
- Bon Jovi. When you go from a second-rate hair metal band to a third-rate country band, it's time to just throw in the Leopard skin cowboy hat.
- The members of Poison. Way to kill good hair metal.
- U2. Fuck you Bono. Fuck you.
- Oasis.
- Jet.
- Conspiracy Theorists- Elvis is dead, Kurt Cobain commit suicide. Shit happens.
- Boston's third and fourth albums.
- People who avoid Christian rock because of the name.
- These piracy arguments. I'm against it, it's a personal choice. But physical copies of music DO sound better. And why not throw a few bucks down to show your favorite artists some support?
- The fact that most albums released nowadays are two singles and 8 tracks of filler, which causes kids to illegally download it.
- Bob Rock. You're a producer man. Just because your band of Police-wannabes had a single hit, doesn't mean you have to act like a member of every band you produce.
- Timbaland. Ooh, I can hit three buttons, make this song by Chris Cornell sound exactly like that one song by Justin Timberlake, put MY name all over it, and make more money than the artists themselves.
- The sale of band t-shirts in American Eagle-like clothing stores. This causes an extreme influx of barbies wearing Guns N' Roses t-shirts, without ever even hearing a song, save maybe 'Sweet Child O' Mine'.
- NOBODY GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THE MUSIC ANYMORE. I mean, don't get me wrong, part of my plan as a musician is to make a stupid amount of money and have groupies snort lines of my dick, but I know what every one of my albums is going to sound like, who it'll pay homage to, and how it will sound in relation to the other albums I release.
- There's no such thing as selling-out, only reaching out to a larger audience. Sometimes it's for the fanbase, sometimes it's for the money.
- People who refuse to acknowledge their obvious influences. Yo, Green Day, no matter how much you deny, American Idiot simply would not exist in it's current form without Tommy or The Wall.
- The 'GNR isn't GNR without Slash and Duff' argument. Axl Rose is Guns N' Roses. I mean, he owes his entire career to the face that he hooked up with the right people, who are legends in their own right, but it was always his vision.
- Celine Dion.

There will be more.

Shocked Breath ross . . . breath

ImageImageImage

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: May 07 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

-the fact that everytime i mention i'm a BOC fan, everybody immediately turns to that damn SNL skit! I like the skit and reaper, but the band has DECADES of material that is awesome! Please give it a chance

-the fact that everyone snubs off Micheal Jackson's music just because of his social life. I get it, he's creepy, but his music is awesome and influenced generations of today's artists

-people who bitch about the Jonas Brothers (sorry ross) yes the guy's suck but guess what, as long as Mindy is using Daddy's credit card, douches like the Bros will become famous and real talent gets snuffed

-the fact that American Idol is still on the air after season 5. Season 5 had Daughty and Hick (among others), it's like making another batman movie after Dark Knight, it's not going to get any better . . . OH SNAP!

-The price of CDs, inflation is a bitch

-The fact Noise music is considered a legitimate music genre:

-music videos that grab you with the sexy women but show the butt ugly artists the rest of the video

-The fact molly cyrus still is not legal . . . wait . . .

-shows that try to be like AI, creating buttfucking stupid drama and pick some of the worst people to be the 'villain' and completely ignore the actual talent. In fact fuck AI, just cancel the damn show already and show reruns of the Simpson (the good seasons)

-the fact that Randy Jackson and Paula are still Judges. They have not said a damn interesting thing at all and are just waists of air time. Leave Simon, he's still entertaining and at least TRIES to mix it up

-the fact that i gave a shit about AI

-the fact that a new genre has not replaced rap/hip hop or bland pop yet. it's been 2 decades, could we have something original please!

-people who call in or Txt votes into AI or related shows . . . more then once!

-the fact that this crazy bitch had air time:

are you still sane, then watch her "sing" in a different language:

- the fact that i post 4 videos of Zayra Alvarez, i will stop now

ImageImageImage

Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: May 07 2009 05:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

The only reason she was on for so long is because she was so fucking psychotic.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: May 07 2009 08:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:
The only reason she was on for so long is because she was so fucking psychotic.

and because she was fucking Jason Newsted, if you watched the show, it was pretty obvious.

ImageImageImage

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: May 07 2009 03:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow. Good call.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Greg the White
PostPosted: May 07 2009 07:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:

- People who refuse to acknowledge their obvious influences. Yo, Green Day, no matter how much you deny, American Idiot simply would not exist in it's current form without Tommy or The Wall

This could bring back the debate about them maybe possibly ripping off D4

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: May 07 2009 09:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

And Motley Crue, and various other bands.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Greg the White
PostPosted: May 08 2009 01:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

How everybody said Against Me! was going to change punk music forever, then just ended up sounding like any hard-rock indie with a wailing singer in front.

How pop-punk gets such a bad rap because of bands like Good Charlotte and Simple Plan. Come on folks, lighten up. You can come over to my house, and we'll listen to some Teenage Bottlerocket and Off With Their Heads.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: May 08 2009 01:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

Songs that are awesome, but then go on for too damn long. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the occasional "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" or "Achilles: Agony and Ecstasy," but those are unique cases where the story demanded a longer song, and the style and sound is mixed up so its not repetitive. I hate eight or nine minute songs that could easily be trimmed to five. I love you, but I'm looking to you Metallica.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Reply to topic

Jump to: