SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
"Things that piss you off" music edition

Reply to topic
JRA
PostPosted: May 03 2009 02:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

The fact that most of the retards on metal-archives.com consider Carcass's Heartwork (my avatar) a sellout album.
nihilisticglee
PostPosted: May 03 2009 03:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

When people say all modern music sucks.

Oh, and when people say my music tastes sucks for not being fans of a lot of classic rock.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: May 03 2009 03:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

People who "like a little bit of everything" but poo poo anything you try to turn them on to. Rolling Eyes

JStrangiato
Title: El Hombre Strangiato
PostPosted: May 03 2009 03:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Screamo/deathcore bullshit that tries to pass itself off as metal. I've ranted on this before, but it had to be said.
Also, blatant filler, i.e. Tool's "Disgustipated." Fuck that waste of space.

My music/humor blog (R.I.P.): http://lavidastrangiato.blogspot.com/
Chondra "Mrs. Claudio" Sanchez on Enshin a.k.a. Jake Strangiato wrote:
I really like this person.

Blackout
PostPosted: May 03 2009 03:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

People who don't know how to listen to a whole song. We all know someone like this.

Hey dude check this shit out, it's fucking AWESOME!
about thirty seconds of the song plays while captain douchebag talks over it
Oh oh shit you gotta hear this next song!
rinse and repeat

Chile Guy
Title: Token Latino Otaku
PostPosted: May 03 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

1. Douchebag heavy metal fans who diss anything that's not a bajillion of chords being played at once in the same nanosecond.
2. Maggots, Juggalos, and several other ridiculous biased fanboys.
3. The fact there's still people that don't respect The Beatles. Sure, they haven't done THAT much of enjoyable music, but mostly EVERYTHING on today's music must be grateful to the Fab Four in a way or another, if you get the point.
4. NARAS and their politicking towards the Grammys. Much like the AMPAS to the Oscars.
5. People who consider the 90's grunge as the forefather to today's emo music.
6. Fans who call themselves 'indies' that only listen to bands nobody else listens (or cares about), just to say they're non-conformists or shit like that.
7. Britrock. Not the bands themselves, but some members of these bands, which are the epitome of obnoxiousness. Oasis anyone?
8. Rage Against The Machine. The first communist band that signed with a capitalist label. Need I say more?
9. Any anti-piracy association around the world.

Blackout
PostPosted: May 03 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Chile Guy wrote:

8. Rage Against The Machine. The first communist band that signed with a capitalist label.

ha HA!

JRA
PostPosted: May 03 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
Chile Guy wrote:

8. Rage Against The Machine. The first communist band that signed with a capitalist label.

ha HA!

Seriously, what a retarded statement.

All bands, regardless of their political stances want to be signed to the biggest label possible. The bigger the label, the more people they are able to reach with their message, whether that be "Rock & Roll all night" or "Fuck you I won't do what you tell me."

Which leads me to another thing that pisses me off:

All the kids who can't stand it when their clique local band gets signed to a major label, and calls them a sellout.
Blackout
PostPosted: May 03 2009 01:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Guitars that are clearly designed for metal when one examines both the body style and pickups but on closer inspection lack a locking nut because they are the cheapo economy model and thus get whacked the fuck out of tune after half a song piss me off. Also stringing and tuning a Floyd Rose is a pain in the ass. Mad

Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: May 03 2009 03:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Things in music that piss me off? Shit, you guys shouldn't have done this.

- Britney Spears
- The media's exploitation of Britney Spears
- Radio
- MTV
- Side 2 of Def Leppard's Hysteria
- How fucking underrated Buddy Guy is
- People who will instantly write off a band (see: Van Halen and Motley Crue) when they try something other than cock rock anthems and lyrics comparing women to food.
- On that note, Sammy Hagar's lyric-writing abilities.
- Ignorance to highly influential and important artists.
- The whole 'it was Yoko's fault' bullshit.
- Kurt Cobain (though this goes beyond a music thing).
- St. Anger
- The sad, sad attempts at being politically relevant ("just like Rage Against The Machine!!11 Very Happy "). I'm looking at you Green Day.
- Fall Out Boy
- Natasha Bedingfield.
- Miley Cyrus.
- The fact that the Jonas Brothers have a record deal.
- The fact that 'female lead singer' is actually taken into consideration when deciding whether or not to listen to a band.
- Today's 'Rap' and 'Hip-Hop'. "I'm rich, I treat females like shit, and I have metal in my teeth. I am awesome, and you are not. And I'm not going to acknowledge that I would be nothing without you."
- The fact that I felt I had to be embarassed for listening to certain bands not even that long ago.
- Metallica fanboys.
- Dragonforce.
- Whatever the newest, most popular form of "extreme" metal is nowadays. Playing a million miles an hour is not talent. Precision doesn't even equal talent. Go listen to Hendrix fucko.
- Any band that wore bands or facepaint after Alice Cooper.
- That it is impossible to find Black Sabbath albums that don't feature Ozzy or Dio.
- Arguments about who is better. Who gives a fuck? Ozzy is a frontman, Dio is a singer. See also: Van Halen, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Metallica/Megadeth.
- My own beligerence and closed-mindedness towards certain bands, like Poison (there you go Syd).
- Bon Jovi. When you go from a second-rate hair metal band to a third-rate country band, it's time to just throw in the Leopard skin cowboy hat.
- The members of Poison. Way to kill good hair metal.
- U2. Fuck you Bono. Fuck you.
- Oasis.
- Jet.
- Conspiracy Theorists- Elvis is dead, Kurt Cobain commit suicide. Shit happens.
- Boston's third and fourth albums.
- People who avoid Christian rock because of the name.
- These piracy arguments. I'm against it, it's a personal choice. But physical copies of music DO sound better. And why not throw a few bucks down to show your favorite artists some support?
- The fact that most albums released nowadays are two singles and 8 tracks of filler, which causes kids to illegally download it.
- Bob Rock. You're a producer man. Just because your band of Police-wannabes had a single hit, doesn't mean you have to act like a member of every band you produce.
- Timbaland. Ooh, I can hit three buttons, make this song by Chris Cornell sound exactly like that one song by Justin Timberlake, put MY name all over it, and make more money than the artists themselves.
- The sale of band t-shirts in American Eagle-like clothing stores. This causes an extreme influx of barbies wearing Guns N' Roses t-shirts, without ever even hearing a song, save maybe 'Sweet Child O' Mine'.
- NOBODY GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THE MUSIC ANYMORE. I mean, don't get me wrong, part of my plan as a musician is to make a stupid amount of money and have groupies snort lines of my dick, but I know what every one of my albums is going to sound like, who it'll pay homage to, and how it will sound in relation to the other albums I release.
- There's no such thing as selling-out, only reaching out to a larger audience. Sometimes it's for the fanbase, sometimes it's for the money.
- People who refuse to acknowledge their obvious influences. Yo, Green Day, no matter how much you deny, American Idiot simply would not exist in it's current form without Tommy or The Wall.
- The 'GNR isn't GNR without Slash and Duff' argument. Axl Rose is Guns N' Roses. I mean, he owes his entire career to the face that he hooked up with the right people, who are legends in their own right, but it was always his vision.
- Celine Dion.

There will be more.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Blackout
PostPosted: May 03 2009 03:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All the Counting Crow Albums after Recovering the Satellites.

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: May 03 2009 03:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Excessive belting and riffing. It rarely has a purpose other than to kill eardrums. Ex: Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

JRA
PostPosted: May 03 2009 07:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:

- People who refuse to acknowledge their obvious influences. Yo, Green Day, no matter how much you deny, American Idiot simply would not exist in it's current form without Tommy or The Wall.

You mean people who blame the breakup of the Beatles solely on Yoko?

Green Day actually deny the influence of the Who? That's weird to me, because I remember seeing the "100 greatest artists of Hard Rock" and when the Who's spot was being discussed, I remember someone from Green Day giving them praise.
Ross Rifle
PostPosted: May 03 2009 09:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes there's people like that, and I read an interview with Billy Joe and he flat out denied, repeatedly, that American Idiot, a concept album about disillusionment and rebellion, was at all influenced by The Wall or Tommy.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
IceWarm
PostPosted: May 03 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Music where I can't understand a single lyric. I'm not talking about foreign music but stuff "sung" in English that is nothing but screaming.

Most modern rap/hip-hop. All they rap about is how much money they have, gold/platinum teeth, cars, expensive champagne and so on.

People who like a certain artist/band but hate any of their songs that become hits. A lot of Radiohead fans are like this.

People who say that a cover is better than the original. Some might be but if the original didn't exist there would be no cover version of it.

The "Top Listener" ranking system on LastFM. I've seen some "Top Listeners" with maybe 300 plays by an artist/band while I have over 900 and am not a "Top Listener", bullshit.

Kanye West, I just can't stand this arrogant douchebag.

Tribute albums for fairly new bands or bands with little talent.

Albums that get re-released not long after the original was released.

Soundtracks that only include some of the songs used in the movie. For example the 50 First Dates soundtrack only has maybe 1/3 of the songs used in the movie.

I'll come up with more I'm sure but that is all for now.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: May 03 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Uh-oh, Ice just opened the floodgates.

- The fact that the EP is dead. Instead, bands re-release a new, enhanced-with-6-bonus-songs version of their album that came out seven months before. Sweet Christ, write four more songs and you have another LP.
- New artists that rip off old 80's pop tunes for their own music. I'm looking specifically at you Rihanna, you Tainted Love and Blue Monday-stealing slut. And that fag singing that 'Round Round (Like A Record)' rip-off.
- Vocoders. FUCK YOU T-PAIN. FUCK YOU SO HARD. Here's a lesson on vocoders for those uninformed. That weird device that T-Pain uses almost exclusively, and has also been utilized by Kanye and Daft Punk (listen to 'One More Time'), it takes a vocal recording and alters it so it's in tune. So that means that the more strange, robotic tics in someone's voice you hear, the more untalented the 'singer'.
- DON'T WEAR A HIGHWAY TO HELL T-SHIRT IF YOU'VE NEVER STAYED UP LATE AT NIGHT AND LISTENED TO IT THREE TIMES IN A ROW.
- Don't go to a classic rock/hard rock/metal concert because it's what all the cool kids at school will be doing. If I, Ross Angus Rifle can't see AC/DC because tickets sell-out like penicillin in a whorehouse, you can't go. End of story.
- Lemmy is God, and if you don't have the musical knowledge to know this, you better be ready to learn, or just fucking die.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: May 03 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

IceWarm wrote:
Albums that get re-released not long after the original was released.

There is one time way this is forgivable, and that is when an independent band gets signed and gets to remaster the sounds for all the tracks. Otherwise, fuck bands who do this.

EDIT:

Ross Rifle wrote:
And that fag singing that 'Round Round (Like A Record)' rip-off.
- Vocoders. FUCK YOU T-PAIN. FUCK YOU SO HARD. Here's a lesson on vocoders for those uninformed. That weird device that T-Pain uses almost exclusively, and has also been utilized by Kanye and Daft Punk (listen to 'One More Time'), it takes a vocal recording and alters it so it's in tune. So that means that the more strange, robotic tics in someone's voice you hear, the more untalented the 'singer'.

To be fair, Round Round has been covered a shit load of times.

Yeah, using vocoders for vocal correction is dumb. There is neat vocal effects that can can be done with vocoders, but most people just use it to make them sound like better singers, and that sucks.
Eddie_Hyde
Title: Ernie with the Disposal
PostPosted: May 03 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

IceWarm wrote:

Kanye West, I just can't stand this arrogant douchebag.

What, you mean the man who made the album Diamonds From Sierra Leone, a highly critical indictment of people who exploit the nation for their own financial gain, and made him 1.3 million in it's first week of being sold? How can anyone hate this man?? Rolling Eyes

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: May 03 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When I ask people what kinds of music they listen to, and they simply respond with "indie". Do you know how incredibly vague that is? There are tons, ton, tons, tons of genres covered by indie bands, that's like saying "action movies" when someone asks you what your favorite movie is. And this just makes me feel like the person's saying "I only listen to indie music, because anything non-independant is just BAD." Rolling Eyes
Ross Rifle wrote:

- Radio
- MTV
- People who will instantly write off a band (see: Van Halen and Motley Crue) when they try something other than cock rock anthems and lyrics comparing women to food.
- On that note, Sammy Hagar's lyric-writing abilities.
- Ignorance to highly influential and important artists.
- The sad, sad attempts at being politically relevant ("just like Rage Against The Machine!!11 Very Happy "). I'm looking at you Green Day.
- Fall Out Boy
- Natasha Bedingfield.
- Miley Cyrus.
- The fact that the Jonas Brothers have a record deal.
- Metallica fanboys.
- Bon Jovi. When you go from a second-rate hair metal band to a third-rate country band, it's time to just throw in the Leopard skin cowboy hat.
- Oasis.
- These piracy arguments. I'm against it, it's a personal choice. But physical copies of music DO sound better. And why not throw a few bucks down to show your favorite artists some support?
- The fact that most albums released nowadays are two singles and 8 tracks of filler, which causes kids to illegally download it.
- Timbaland. Ooh, I can hit three buttons, make this song by Chris Cornell sound exactly like that one song by Justin Timberlake, put MY name all over it, and make more money than the artists themselves.
- The sale of band t-shirts in American Eagle-like clothing stores. This causes an extreme influx of barbies wearing Guns N' Roses t-shirts, without ever even hearing a song, save maybe 'Sweet Child O' Mine'.
- There's no such thing as selling-out, only reaching out to a larger audience. Sometimes it's for the fanbase, sometimes it's for the money.
- Celine Dion.

YES. Nod
Ross Rifle wrote:
- U2. Fuck you Bono. Fuck you.

Why?

Some more:
-The onslaught of Nickelback t-shirts I have to see every time I go to school.
-Nickelback in general.
-The fact that I own both Gwen Stefani albums, and thoroughly enjoy them (but normally hate pop).
-The negative reactions I get when I ask people if they like INXS. (I like them...)
-In my history class the other day, somebody uttered the words, "Who's Queen?"
-That video game soundtracks are so expensive. (Emulator rips FTW)

Eddie_Hyde
Title: Ernie with the Disposal
PostPosted: May 03 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
-In my history class the other day, somebody uttered the words, "Who's Queen?"

Kill him. Kill him alot.

Greg the White
PostPosted: May 03 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

-PC Baiting as a means to get famous. Fuck the Nobodys and Down Syndrom
-Drum machines
-Metalheads (about 95% of them)
-People who say all new music sucks
-Kanye West saying he's the voice of a generation. Sweet, so our voice is that of misogyny and anti-intellectualism.
-People who insist On Avery Island is better that In an Aeroplane Over the Sea.
-Punks who pretend to like hardcore just so they can look tough.
-Finally, I hate that Teenage Bottlerocket isn't the most famous band in America

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

JRA
PostPosted: May 03 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:

- Lemmy is God, and if you don't have the musical knowledge to know this, you better be ready to learn, or just fucking die.

What if you really like Motorhead, but just happen to think Neil Peart is God? Sad
Ross Rifle
PostPosted: May 03 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You like Motorhead. That's the same thing.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

IceWarm
PostPosted: May 03 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Some more:

People who will write off a band just because of one not so great album. Not everything is going to be perfect or possibly as good as some artist/bands other stuff.

DRM, if I buy music whether it be a CD or an individual song I should be able to do what I like with it. I may want to burn it to have a backup if the disc gets scratched and so on.

Greatest hits collections that come out after the artist/band has only released maybe two albums.

5 piece bands with a singer who can't play an instrument. There are a few exceptions where the singer is so good that it makes up for not playing an instrument but for the most part I just find it lazy. Especially in "screamo" bands where there is no skill involved in screaming.

Artists/bands that fake depression and other crap like that. It just seems cliche at this point.

Fake beef, mostly in rap. Where people will fake that they hate each other just to stir up their sales.

Stupid sub-genre names. Stuff like "post-hardcore", "nu-metal", and so on. Do we really need more pointless labels for music? Just file it under something like "Metal" or "Rock", there is no need for dumb sub-genres just to make the artists/bands feel more individual.

Bands that refuse to license their songs to pretty much anything.

More to probably come as I think about it.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: May 03 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

IceWarm wrote:
Stupid sub-genre names. Stuff like "post-hardcore", "nu-metal", and so on. Do we really need more pointless labels for music? Just file it under something like "Metal" or "Rock", there is no need for dumb sub-genres just to make the artists/bands feel more individual.

Oh God yes. Hate it.

I assume Bruce Dickinson and Eric Adams are exempted from the singers-who-don't-paly-instruments hate... Wink

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Reply to topic

Jump to: