[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Anti-Weed has taken over for 2009

Reply to topic
scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Feb 17 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Being natural doesn't make a cure better, and the attitude that only natural cures are acceptable borders on quackery. Bloodletting is natural. Snakehandling is natural. But they're not good medecine.

Hell, why not go 100% natural and refuse all medecine and wait for nature to cure you.

I'm all for a natural cure if it's easy to come by and works good, but there is nothing wrong with a trusty bottle of ibuprofen at your side. Call me crazy, but if my doctor tells me I need to take something to get better, I'm gonna take it.

docinsano
Title: Boner King
PostPosted: Feb 17 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Some more good questions:

What medical benefits does weed offer? Does it offer any significant benefits that can't be provided as efficiently - if not better - by more formal prescription drugs?

Dr. Lester Grinspoon is all you need to know.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 17 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:
Being natural doesn't make a cure better, and the attitude that only natural cures are acceptable borders on quackery. Bloodletting is natural. Snakehandling is natural. But they're not good medecine.

Hell, why not go 100% natural and refuse all medecine and wait for nature to cure you.

I'm all for a natural cure if it's easy to come by and works good, but there is nothing wrong with a trusty bottle of ibuprofen at your side. Call me crazy, but if my doctor tells me I need to take something to get better, I'm gonna take it.

I agree. My point wasn't that natural is bad. It's that natural solutions aren't the only solution and they aren't always the right solution. But Aloe is fucking awesome.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Feb 17 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What if the doctor told you to use weed?

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 17 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarknessDeku wrote:

I don't believe it's an option in my state. Which means there are alternatives. Which means its medical necessity is dubious at best.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
docinsano
Title: Boner King
PostPosted: Feb 17 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For more info, read This
scamrock
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
scamrock wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

I agree. My point wasn't that natural is bad. It's that natural solutions aren't the only solution and they aren't always the right solution. But Aloe is fucking awesome.

Exactly. I'm also slightly bitter because I was this close to getting srewed over by Kevin Trudeau. I almost bought his book off TV because it was free and you only had to pay S&H. My wife told me I should look into it first and maybe see how much it was at Wal-Mart. Good call wife.

Basically, this guy, Kevin Trudeau has a series of books starting with Natural Cures They Don't Want You to Know About. It's good in theory, but it has a lot of anti-government/anti-pharmaceutical company propaganda. He says shit like the government keeps getting him in trouble for giving away secret natural cures that could put the pharmaceutical companies in jeopardy. In truth, the government goes after him because he rips people off.

To start with, in his TV spot, he is very convincing, especially when he says you ONLY have to pay S&H. But they never actually say how much that is. I did some research and found out that the S&H is more than the book!!! What kind of scam is this shit. Then, evidently, you get his book, it doesn't really have the kind of shit in it that he says it does. But it does tell you to subscribe to his pay website where the good stuff is. So once you get on his website, it says to get the good stuff, you have to subscribe to his newsletter. Once you do that, you get these worthless newsletters and when you call to cancel, nobody answers the fucking phone. You spend all this money on his shit, and instead of learning what was promised, you are actually dumber.

He is pretty much like Satan on consumer watch sites. So I emailed his company or whatever the fuck because I was pissed asking some questions to "make sure I didn't get hosed like all these other people." I got a response saying they don't respond to letters like that. WTF? So I sent an email to his Myspace fansite saying I was interested but was afraid of getting screwd out of money. I was just curious what they would say. I have a lot of video game references on my Myspace profile. The response I got said something like, "Like I am going to have this debate with a grown man who still plays video games." I couldn't reply because they blocked me.

So basically, I think natural cures are fine and dandy, but it seems like everyone trying to get people to buy into natural cures like to say the pharmaceutical companies are ripping people off, when in reality, they are usually doing the same thing.

scamrock
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

DarknessDeku wrote:

Then I probably would. I already said I'm not against it for medical use if it works.

TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Some more good questions:

What medical benefits does weed offer? Does it offer any significant benefits that can't be provided as efficiently - if not better - by more formal prescription drugs?
Excuse the supposition but its probably a mild painkiller that stimulates hunger, its main virtue is probably the ease at which one can grow it, that is to say, potheads can cultivate it given time and a room with some lights.

I'm utterly baffled by how fast I was sigged.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be more intrigued by Trudeau had I not had the prior knowledge of him being unable to sell anything but books due to fraud convictions, and was recently fined for contempt of court charges during more misrepresentation charges for his weight loss book. That, and the fact that he'll talk about "this lady I talked to" whose cancer he cured. So apparently the guy cures diseases, but wants us to pay $19.99 straight to him beforehand.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

scamrock
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 01:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Greg the White wrote:
I'd be more intrigued by Trudeau had I not had the prior knowledge of him being unable to sell anything but books due to fraud convictions, and was recently fined for contempt of court charges during more misrepresentation charges for his weight loss book. That, and the fact that he'll talk about "this lady I talked to" whose cancer he cured. So apparently the guy cures diseases, but wants us to pay $19.99 straight to him beforehand.

No shit. I didn't know about him at first, so I thought it was kind of cool. Now that I know, everytime I see him, I get pissed.

No he has a couple of financial advice books out. That's all I need is some con man with a history of being sued giving me stock tips.

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 08:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@ DarknessDeku - "No one should be able to tell me what to do".

It's called a Social Contract/Laws. Laws are there to protect people. I'm going to use the simplest example. You can't kill people because it's against the law. The government just told you what to do.

@ RobotGumshoe - "Drinking in the middle east."

That's mostly due to the incredible vauge and abused system of laws. Women can be killed for speaking? You can kill your spouse if they disgrace you? If I lived in Iraq and they said if you drink alcohol you will lose your tongue. You better believe I will not take any step towards drinking. Plus who wants to drink when you're surrounded by sand.

If the government wanted to win the war on drugs it's simple. Either inflict stricter punishments. Like death or something less severe, like taking every asset they own and watch them like a hawk for the next 5 years. Otherwise legalize the shit (pot), open the rules for arrest for suspicion of driving while high, make them take a piss test. Not only will those $'s flow into the american society but the perks at which other things will be used, such as shopping, Cab usage, public transportation, dining, etc.

There's pro's and con's obviously. I don't even know where I stand on the issue to be honest.

TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 09:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
@ DarknessDeku - "No one should be able to tell me what to do".

It's called a Social Contract/Laws. Laws are there to protect people. I'm going to use the simplest example. You can't kill people because it's against the law. The government just told you what to do.

@ RobotGumshoe - "Drinking in the middle east."

That's mostly due to the incredible vauge and abused system of laws. Women can be killed for speaking? You can kill your spouse if they disgrace you? If I lived in Iraq and they said if you drink alcohol you will lose your tongue. You better believe I will not take any step towards drinking. Plus who wants to drink when you're surrounded by sand.

If the government wanted to win the war on drugs it's simple. Either inflict stricter punishments. Like death or something less severe, like taking every asset they own and watch them like a hawk for the next 5 years. Otherwise legalize the shit (pot), open the rules for arrest for suspicion of driving while high, make them take a piss test. Not only will those $'s flow into the american society but the perks at which other things will be used, such as shopping, Cab usage, public transportation, dining, etc.

There's pro's and con's obviously. I don't even know where I stand on the issue to be honest.

I'm well aware of the cost of eliminating alchohol altogether. I was just positing a counterpoint to the oft rehashed "prohibition failed" argument.

For every solution you have to be willing to pay the associated cost. In the current state, its a very high prison population, an expensive war on drugs, and a dangerous drug trade. We have never made pot fully legal before, and there might be sociatal ramifications for that too. Its not necessarily all pot tax revenue and people taking cabs to get cheetos. If its too expensive, there may still be a drug trade. American productivity might go down, families might be hurt, DUI wrecks may increase, and all other manner of ills may manifest.

You have to know the dangers of pot, where it causes the most harm, and only then can you answer what the most effective means of addressing it from a legal and social standpoint are. Arguments that don't stem from a reasonable base are idealogical, and doomed to an endless back and forth.

Deadmau_5pra
Title: Amatuer film/podcaster
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

make weed legal: Cripple the black market

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Reply to topic

Jump to: