SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Bowling

Reply to topic
drewbocop
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 05:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So, do these forums have any bowling enthusiasts out there?

I used to bowl on a league up until I was like, 16. Now that I'm 21 I'm looking to get back on a team so I can get wasted and lower my average once a night per week.

I bowl quite often whether I'm by myself or with friends, mainly because there's an alley literally a minute away from my house. I usually bowl around 200, I'd say 180ish on average.

I throw a Brunswick Ultra Zone, which hooks like a muthafucka. I bought it with the leftover Christmas money I had, and since I'm tight with the pro shop guy, got a good price on it and he drilled it for free. It prefers heavy oil, and since I'm left-handed it seemed like a wise choice. It was.

My best game ever is a 279 which I threw at PRACTICE when I was on a league. My high series is a 688. (230, 215, 243)

Here's a picture of my ball and it's crazy core technology.

So, if you bowl, what do you throw, what's your average, and are you on a league?
Add whatever else you please.

Rycona wrote:
Now that rainbows are confiscate of the Gay Empire Or Whatever©, they're suspect to foul play. People follow it expecting a pot of gold and a leprechaun, but all they find is a mannequin with a melted ass and a bloody rubber inside... and a leprechaun.

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 05:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've only ever bowled occasionally, but I'd like to play more and get into a league sometime. I usually bowl around 130-150, which I don't think is too bad considering I've never really had any time to actually practice outside of playing for fun. I think I could get pretty decent if I had the chance. I'll probably jump into a league once I get a car and license.

I really want to work on getting good spin control, because spin yields awesome pin action.

RIP Hacker.

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 05:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I bowl on a 3 man drinking league, tonight actually. I have been bowling since I was like 8. I've made some big strides in my game since having a 145 average in 2005. I now average about 197, I missed a 700 series by 2 pins a couple weeks ago, and my high game is a...let me do the math...288. I fucked up in the 10th. I threw the first 10 strike then had an 8 spare. I was pretty pissed.

I rock the Columbia Super Trooper. 16lbs. I actually have a bowling class this semester, its the biggest joke I've ever seen but I'm assured an A. I bowled a 213 and a 237 in class and all the kids were in shock an awe because they could barely crack 100. I felt like a god. Laughing

Cattivo
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 05:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My friends want to get back into bowling - the results of playing too much Wii Bowling.

I used to average around 180 myself. That was without spin as well, so if I learned that, I should be able to break 200 consistently. We'll see what the new year brings.
drewbocop
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 05:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here's the thing guys (not you Douche), since you probably use alley balls right now, you're not going to be able to throw a real hook unless you're one of those douchebags that doesn't put his thumb in the ball and holds it between your lower arm and bicep. The core of an alley ball is solid.

To throw a real hook like you see good bowlers and pros do, you usually have a ball with the proper reactive exterior, some sort of off-center core, and the proper drill job that merits a good release. Usually you'll have the two finger holes "tipped." They put rubber inserts in the holes so only your fingertips go in. The ball does most the work for you so it naturally moves 10ish boards and hits the pocket, causing more pin action. There's a big difference between spinning the ball and throwing a hook. (Check out bowlingballreviews.com to see specs and cores of specific balls.)

So if you guys do get serious about bowling, I highly recommend you talk to your local pro shop guy and find out what kind of ball is right for you, and get the proper equipment to learn the correct technique. Your body will thank you also.

Smile

Rycona wrote:
Now that rainbows are confiscate of the Gay Empire Or Whatever©, they're suspect to foul play. People follow it expecting a pot of gold and a leprechaun, but all they find is a mannequin with a melted ass and a bloody rubber inside... and a leprechaun.

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 05:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

drewbocop wrote:
Here's the thing guys (not you Douche), since you probably use alley balls right now, you're not going to be able to throw a real hook unless you're one of those douchebags that doesn't put his thumb in the ball and holds it between your lower arm and bicep. The core of an alley ball is solid

I throw a 2 finger hook but I rest the ball in my palm resting against my wrist while I approach. I use a 1 finger approach on the 10 pin (being right handed, plus I don't believe in a "Spare Ball"). While most 2 finger bowlers no only how to put it in the general pocket area I can pretty much put it anwhere I want it.

Greatest accomplishment was picking up the 4-6, and the 7-6-10 in one game. I have a pretty decent straight ball too.

Rycona
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 06:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All of this makes a lot of sense. I'm definitely getting my own ball if I join the league then. I figured that the alley balls were crappy comparatively, I just never knew as to why, but that makes a lot of sense. Thanks a lot for the advice. ^_^

RIP Hacker.

drewbocop
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 06:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
drewbocop wrote:
Here's the thing guys (not you Douche), since you probably use alley balls right now, you're not going to be able to throw a real hook unless you're one of those douchebags that doesn't put his thumb in the ball and holds it between your lower arm and bicep. The core of an alley ball is solid

I throw a 2 finger hook but I rest the ball in my palm resting against my wrist while I approach. I use a 1 finger approach on the 10 pin (being right handed, plus I don't believe in a "Spare Ball"). While most 2 finger bowlers no only how to put it in the general pocket area I can pretty much put it anwhere I want it.

Greatest accomplishment was picking up the 4-6, and the 7-6-10 in one game. I have a pretty decent straight ball too.

Yeah there's some pro's that throw like that, with only 2 fingers but their palm flat. I just drop my hand way down, so my hand and lower arm are at almost a 90 degree angle to throw my Zone straight. It works very well and I can pick up 7-pins nearly every time. I don't use a spare ball either. I've picked up quite a few incredible splits myself.

I once witnessed my sister, who is fucking horrible at bowling, pick up a 7-10. I almost shit my pants.

Rycona wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 06:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Kingpin is for sissies. Anyone can knockdown a lot of pins with a giant ass ball.

Real men do candlepin.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
drewbocop
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 06:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Kingpin is for sissies. Anyone can knockdown a lot of pins with a giant ass ball.

Real men do candlepin.

While Candlepin is fun, and I've played it twice, I find "woman" bowling far superior.

Rycona wrote:

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 06:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Real men set-up their own pins after every frame. What a horrible gift that was when I was a kid.

Rycona
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 06:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Real men set-up their own pins after every frame. What a horrible gift that was when I was a kid.

The plastic colored pins and little black bowling balls? I had to have owned at least ten sets of those throughout my childhood.

RIP Hacker.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 07:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer using midgets. As long as you send them straight down the lane, they can usually slap and kick down all the pins as they slide by. Just don't forget to put a helmet on them first, otherwise your score plummets frame by frame as your midget will slowly slip into a coma due to multiple concussions.

If you can't find a good midget, then I suggest using this, because it is badass looking ball:

3rd and 4th choices:

drewbocop
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 07:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rycona wrote:

The plastic colored pins and little black bowling balls? I had to have owned at least ten sets of those throughout my childhood.

Heh, I have two sets of those in my house right now. My mom's a preschool teacher... I swear.

Rycona wrote:

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 08:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Some one in our league has one of those plastic balls with a beer can in it. The can is open at the top and half empty. It isn't USBC approved so he just messes around with it before the league.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 09:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoy bowling, but with carpal tunnel, it kills my wrist after about 2 rounds.

I get out and play about once a year, which isn't enough.

I am happy if I break 100, but once I had an awesome game and got a 168.

I really do suck, but who cares? It takes the same amount of time no matter how good or bad you are. Bowling is about hanging with friends and having a good time.

drewbocop
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
I really do suck, but who cares? It takes the same amount of time no matter how good or bad you are. Bowling is about hanging with friends and having a good time.

It can be about hanging with friends and having a good time... unless you play competitively, in which case it's about winning and moving on to bigger and bigger tournaments. And no it's not a timed event, is that supposed to mean that there's no skill involved or something? Confused

Rycona wrote:

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

drewbocop wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:

It can be about hanging with friends and having a good time... unless you play competitively, in which case it's about winning and moving on to bigger and bigger tournaments. And no it's not a timed event, is that supposed to mean that there's no skill involved or something? Confused

No no, not at all. It is a HUGE game of skill.

What I meant is that good players and bad players can play at the same pace. This means that everyone can enjoy together.

I was thinking of it as a positive thing.

SSNintendo
Title: Likes to Blow Sh*t Up
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoy bowling, but I only have a good game if I can crack 100. My highest is a 133.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
IceWarm
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have not bowled for a long time. Probably close to ten years. They recently re-opened the bowling alley in Dillon, Colorado a couple towns over from where I live. I really should go there someday. Until then it is Wii Sports Bowling and Super Bowling on SNES:

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 08:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

I love bowling, but I also prefer candlepin because it's more challenging, although I'm not good enough to requesting such a challenge. In candlepin my average is about 100 and my high is like 145, and in your crazy, cheaty bowling my average is probably like 160 and highest is roughly 240. In all fairness, though, I've only done 10 pin about a dozen times, so those numbers are fairly meaningless.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

SSNintendo
Title: Likes to Blow Sh*t Up
PostPosted: Jan 18 2009 01:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

IceWarm wrote:
I have not bowled for a long time. Probably close to ten years. They recently re-opened the bowling alley in Dillon, Colorado a couple towns over from where I live. I really should go there someday. Until then it is Wii Sports Bowling and Super Bowling on SNES:

It's kinda funny how I'm so-so in real bowling, but I can get a 269 on Wii Bowling. Then again, a video game can make anybody look like a god.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
drewbocop
PostPosted: Jan 18 2009 05:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SSNintendo wrote:
IceWarm wrote:

It's kinda funny how I'm so-so in real bowling, but I can get a 269 on Wii Bowling. Then again, a video game can make anybody look like a god.

I've bowled one 300 game in Wii bowling. I kept restarting every time I missed a strike. I finally got it by probably the 30th try. Embarrassed

Rycona wrote:

JStrangiato
Title: El Hombre Strangiato
PostPosted: Jan 18 2009 08:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I love bowling, but I suck at it. I don't think I've bowled over 100. Sad Still, I love the game, and I also love quoting "The Big Lebowski" as I bowl. When you type in your name as to how it will show up on the screen, I made sure mine was "The Dude". Man, I love that movie.
Back to bowling, my roommate's really good at it, I think he actually wants to become pro. One day, I'll improve my game. I won't be as good as him, but I'll hopefully get to 150.
Here's me bowling when I had the fro-ish haircut:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1080598&l=0f36b&id=824042139

My music/humor blog (R.I.P.): http://lavidastrangiato.blogspot.com/
Chondra "Mrs. Claudio" Sanchez on Enshin a.k.a. Jake Strangiato wrote:
I really like this person.

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Feb 20 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well I hit my first 700 series. 225, 202, and a 289. I had the first 10 strikes but then when everyone started clapping and watching me the pressure mounted. I finished with a 716. I get a shirt for the 700 club, but damn it would have been nice to get that ring and $200 pro shop gift certificate. GRRRR!!!!

Reply to topic

Jump to: