SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The SydLexia.com Traffic Ranking: What Is To Be Done?

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 29 2008 08:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Over the past three months, the site's traffic ranking has slipped considerably:

June 2nd, 2008 - Alexa Traffic Ranking: 46,571
November 28th, 2008 - Alexa Traffic Ranking: 96,981

As you can see the traffic ranking has dropped to less than half what it was three months ago. The question is, what is to be done? The rapid string of updates in October didn't help at all. You can help by pimping the site to your friends, but what can/should I do?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Nov 29 2008 08:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I remember you talking about being disappointed about not having an ED article and a lot of the articles there are from things that originate on 4chan, maybe you can go there and get the word out, that seems to be a place where a lot of things on the internet become known. At least that's what I gather just from browsing ED.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Nov 29 2008 08:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I told everyone I know that spends time online. Do I need to start putting graffiti everywhere? Mad I can go to old forums I used to haunt and spam it up for you, but I doubt that would give you the kind of traffic you want. Confused

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 29 2008 08:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm thinking about possibly offering up bumper stickers you guys could stick everywhere.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Nov 29 2008 09:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe you could go to a football game and streak across the field with SydLexia.com painted on your ass. That'd be one way to get national exposure.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: Nov 29 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I'm thinking about possibly offering up bumper stickers you guys could stick everywhere.

YES. Or, if I get off my ass and finally learnhow to silkscreen I could make some Sydlexia.com shirts. Wait, that wouldn't really do anything... I still want to make some though.

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Nov 29 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All you American citizens need to apply for Survivor/Big Brother etc. and wear a SydLexia.com t-shirt for your entire stay on the show.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Nov 29 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You could stop caring about traffic rating.

Seriously. It's not like it gets you more advertising money or something.

If you're determined, though, you could try selling out. Find a local magazine or company or something and do some writing for them, or pimp them out in exchange for them pimping you out.

Or do something that warrants press coverage.

But myself, I'd go the "not caring" route. You already have a successful and popular website. Do you really want the hassle of being -more- successful and popular?
Chrisby
PostPosted: Nov 29 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I linked to your top SNES games list over on 4chan's /v/ board a while back, but they mostly scoffed at it. Then again, most of /v/'s users are idiots with terrible taste anyway.

You have updated a lot lately, but not everyone's gonna want to read an analysis on Are You Afraid of the Dark and supposed lessons derived from it. More variety might help.

Maybe review an episode of an old video game related cartoon? One of the Mario ones, Zelda, Captain N, Mega Man, etc. There's lots of nostalgia and cheese in each of those, so it'd probably attract more people. Another Top Video Games list might help too.

Or maybe another album review?
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Nov 30 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

I would so place those in random locations inside my school.

docinsano
Title: Boner King
PostPosted: Nov 30 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

I'd stick 'em up around town to help ya out. I have mentioned your site to my buddies, however they didn't seem interested. I think I had better force them to go there someday.

First of all, why are you in need of more traffic? Usa makes a good point about that one. Second, as Chrisby said, you might need a bit more variety. I personally didn't read your AYAOTD articles because I didn't have cable tv back when it aired, therefore, i didn't remember that show. Having never seen the show, it would have been pointless for me to read it. Broaden your horizons. Review a movie. Review a book, newspaper, magazine, or some form of advertisement. Review food and drink like those shitty chocolate skittles and orbitz soda. The sky's the limit! Just my two pennies.
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Nov 30 2008 01:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

I happened to like those chocolate skittles.
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Nov 30 2008 01:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Those articles where you consumed Batman Cereal and Pepsi Clear were awesome. Any other pop culture-related old foods you feel like eating?

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Nov 30 2008 04:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't worry too much about traffic. at least not to the extent of changing what you are writing about to appease people.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 30 2008 06:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. I'm more interested in finding ways to promote the site than in changing its content/style to fit fads.
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Nov 30 2008 09:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Try ads. A lot of webcomics offer up cheap advertising to help support their site.
Blackout
PostPosted: Nov 30 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cam-win wrote:
Those articles where you consumed Batman Cereal and Pepsi Clear were awesome.

+1

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 30 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think you need a very brief, one paragraph introduction on your front page.

Describe what the site is about and then have your articles begin to link directly under it. Keep the description to a width of no more than 600px.

I think that this description will serve two purposes. First, it will introduce new visitors and guide them towards the sections of your website. Second, it will act as the main content from which search engines will find your site. It will better provide google, microsoft, and yahoo with info about what is going on here.

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Nov 30 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
Cam-win wrote:
Those articles where you consumed Batman Cereal and Pepsi Clear were awesome.

+1

+2, Syd fighting for his life against Pepsi Free and Batman Cereal had me laughing my ass off.
I also agree with GP about the introduction. Include a lot of "terms" like pop and culture and Douche and nostalgia.

Blackout
PostPosted: Nov 30 2008 01:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Set up a paysite for all the Erin Esurance. Laughing

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Dec 01 2008 09:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Bumper stickers are a good idea. Any sort of guerrilla marketing is a good idea, actually.

Also, you should look at when traffic spikes. You said the last spike was when you did the Pac-Man article, and I'm guessing other ones were from the NES and SNES top 100 articles. Those articles and the robot masters article provided more than half the forum members (that's 3 articles out of 92) and that doesn't include the fact that multiple forum members are people you know in real life. Basically, classic video games = ratings. Classic has to mean actually classic though, like Megaman, Pac-Man, Mario, Sonic, etc. not just old like Monster Party or E.T.

I also second the idea about having a paragraph at the beginning, maybe your mission statement or something.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 01 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone know a good sticker site? CafePress is way too fucking expensive. I found a site, StickerJunkie, that'll print 100 black and white graphicless stickers for $35, but their checkout page seems shady. There are no drop bars for credit card expiration dates and whatnot, you just have to enter it all manually. I don't know about that.
JRA
PostPosted: Dec 01 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Chrisby wrote:

Or maybe do an article about why you hate Nirvana so much?

Like you were supposed to?

Does the fact that when I come here, the autofill usually takes me straight to the forums instead of going through the main set itself not help?

Actually, in regards to video game cartoons, you should do one giant article on how most of them affected us/sucked. I've been hoping that the AVGN would do something like that, but he hasn't done it yet. Sad

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Dec 01 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would buy a GAR T-Shirt/ bumper sticker. I have been buying T-shirts and crap off the interweb like crazy, I have never done that before but, fuck it's better than the mall. I just bought a Miskatonic Antarctic Expedition Sweatshirt!

http://www.cthulhulives.org/store/store.lasso?1=product&2=126
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 01 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The forums do indeed count towards traffic.
Reply to topic

Jump to: