[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Martial arts?

Reply to topic
Nekkoru
Title: Polish Pickle Wench
PostPosted: Oct 05 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Do any of you practice martial arts?

I'm thinking of signing up for a karate class. I've never trained anything like this aside from just a few basic techniques that my friend taught me, and I'm told that it's quite forgiving for newbies.

You should totally check out the IRC channel.
While you're at it, go check out my band, Her Majesty's Heroines.
Cameron wrote:
I now bestow upon you the title of Most Awesome Person. Very Happy

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Oct 05 2008 05:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've never officially had training, but I used to read a lot of material and practice on my own when I was younger. It probably doesn't account for much, but it was still fun, especially training with a quarter staff (like Donatello). In my teens, a bunch of friends and myself starting a mini-fighting league and it was a lot of fun.

I'd like to get into martial arts officially, but I'm going to wait until I get in better shape before I do so. I've had friends who've taken Aikido and Judo, and they've had good experiences being MA newbies, so hopefully that's a general ideal. Just don't get this asshole to train you:

RIP Hacker.

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Oct 05 2008 08:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have been doing Tae Kwon Do for close to eleven years now, and have been trying to learn submissions and grappling on my own time. Well, more submission, my size has proven takedowns impractical.

And I say if you have the time and money, getting into any form of martial art is great. I know I enjoy going each week.
Tyop
Title: Grammar Nazi
PostPosted: Oct 06 2008 07:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

I used to do Taekwondo years ago. I only made it to 7th kup before I quit, which I kind of regret now. I've recently thought about going back, but I lost a lot of my flexibility over the years. I probably should have spend less time in front of a computer improving my code-fu.

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Oct 07 2008 01:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've taken martial arts. Tae Kwon Do, some Judo, and definitely an American form of Karate.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Oct 07 2008 01:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As a kid I took Tae Kwon Do for a little over 6 years. In college then I took a year of Isshinryu Karate. Also, I used to be the human sparring dummy for a friend of a friend that wrestled, and did some small time, very small time, mma.

Reply to topic

Jump to: