"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
TV Shows on DVD - Half a season at a time

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jun 23 2006 08:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Battlestar fans might have noticed that season 2 was split up into two halves when it hit DVD. Other shows also have too many episodes to logically put into one set together (Masters of the Universe, for example) and will split them up.

However, it seems the UK is starting to follow this as a business tool. "Lost" will be split into two halves and they're doing the same for a few other shows (granted, the UK gets these shows about a half a season later than us).

What worries me now is whether the Studios will get an idea that they could make more money selling shows in half rather than in one box set. BSG, for example, is $49.98 for the first half of season 2 and an estimated $49.98 for the second half. The thing is, season two was only 20 episodes long. Not two hour episodes like Columbo could be from time to time (usually 6-8 episodes per season set), but single hour length episodes (44 mins to be exact). That's about the cost of "Band of Brothers" for the full season of BSG, while shows like "24" sell for about $60 and have 24 hour long episodes. Not much bang for your buck here.

With the UK starting to get into handling shows this way, how long before the US does too?

Or am I mistaken and this is a very fair system of distributing TV shows on DVD? Or is it not that big a difference for playing an extra $20-$50 for a full season?

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 23 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I want a whole season at a time dammit. The season is the unit by which shows are measured. Getting half a season is like getting half a six pack.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
RegalSin
PostPosted: Jun 24 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I just download the shows. I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jun 24 2006 12:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

RegalSin wrote:
Personally I just download the shows. I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.

Well... that's good to hear... Question Shocked

I do support buying shows to make sure more seasons will be released. Case in point: Everwood. Alas, season one did not sell well, so seasons 2-4 will never be released.

(Insert Treat Williams PWNed pic here)

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jun 24 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was pretty upset that BSG season 2 was in 2 different sets once I saw all of it and wanted to own it, but since I didn't get into it until there were like 2 episodes left in the season, it was handy that my friend already owned half of season 2 for me, and the rest I either got off bittorrent, and a couple off of itunes when I got really impatient.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Jun 24 2006 01:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've alerted the Canadian border patrol of your intentions Regal. There's no way you'll make it here alive. Muahahaha.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Jun 24 2006 05:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's not as bad as how Farscape was originally released - first season in eleven two episode sets, and seasons 2-4 in five 4-5 episode sets - or the original release of Trek: TOS, which was in 40 two episode sets.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 24 2006 06:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of anime is released 2-4 episodes at a time on DVD. Inuyasha comes to mind.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jun 24 2006 09:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd beat me to it, but Inuyasha is releasedas 3-4 episode DVDs, and there's I think 172 episodes.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Reply to topic

Jump to: