SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Does our generation know how to really grow up?

Reply to topic
Thorinair
Title: Sophisticated as Hell
PostPosted: Sep 05 2008 09:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was only spanked twice at that point I stopped misbehaving.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Sep 05 2008 09:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah the few times I was spunk I deserved it.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Sep 07 2008 01:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Spanking is one thing, but were any of you ever struck with belt or a "switch" (long, thin stick)?

I've already resolved myself not to have kids. I'm too worried I'll screw them up somehow, if not emotionally then the cost of living for raising one would probably see to it.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Blackout
PostPosted: Sep 07 2008 01:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm gonna raise my kids in a house with anything that can display text or pictures (TV's computers art etc) upside down, and see if they learn to read and watch tv upside down.

Tyop
Title: Grammar Nazi
PostPosted: Sep 08 2008 06:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

I got msyelf a nw office chair and jsut spenc the ast five minitues spinign aroudn in it tos ee how dizzY I coudl gt. Fuck gorwing up.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 08 2008 06:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm gonna name my kids after the Constructicons, then staple them together to form Devastator.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Captain Rock
Title: A Storm In Heaven
PostPosted: Sep 08 2008 05:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ermac wrote:

College has turned from an institution of learning to a big money making buisness. The people who go to college straight out of High School is at an all time high. Both those facts corelate because it just means were are mere numbers in a numbers cruntching game with us taking out huge student loans on the hope that we might be able to be successful one day.Colleges get richer and are allowed to teach subjects that have no merrits in high numbers(Communications,Art,Music,etc.) unless you wanna pony up another 100,000 to get your Doctorate

I agree with this view on college in general. I've become disillusioned with what college is supposed to be about and it does the opposite.

I don't know about the rest of you guys in school, but I've had professors in college who would sit back and teach absolutely nothing. Like one of the requirements for my degree is taking a 1020 English class, which is supposed to help you design a research paper successfully. You know she had the whole syllabus mapped out on when she would teach subjects on Logical Fallacies one day, and the other day sentence structure so on and so forth. But all she would do is sit at her computer, of course we could get answers to our questions if we had them, and wouldn't bother educating any of us.

It completely sucked, and I had another prof like that.

It seems to me that the motivation kids go to school nowadays is out of fear. How many college students are ambitious enough to change the world and what not? From my view it seems these students just want to get rich ASAP, and somehow a degree will make their lives secure in knowing it will happen.

I have no security in a degree, it doesn't promise me that I'll be making a couple million over the course of 5-10 years.

You don't have to go to college to become successful obviously, but it's been such a demand from the older generation that the new generation does it.

Come see the water break my fall
No one knows no one comes
Have you ever seen the book
The one on my help
The one entitled self-death, self-death
How to earn a million pounds
I can see it now oh the hearse

Blackout
PostPosted: Sep 08 2008 06:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I'm gonna name my kids after the Constructicons, then staple them together to form Devastator.

Syd wins once again. Laughing

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Sep 08 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

when i used to be misbehave badly as a kid, my mom would spank me w/a belt. boy did i learn my lesson.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

zelda_god
PostPosted: Sep 12 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

lol
scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Sep 12 2008 01:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Avian wrote:
It seems to me that we are the first generation who's later years are going to be harder than our early years.

My parents and grandparents had things really rough in their youth, but the older they got, the more they accumulated wealth and things got easier. You know how they say......6 kids sharing a bedroom and all that stuff they like to rant about.

By contrast, I had a (relatively) easy childhood. My dad worked while my mom stayed home and raised us. But with the rising cost of everything, absense of social security and longer work hours becoming the norm, I think my adulthood and old age are going to suck. I don't see myself making enough money to support a wife and kids without my wife having a job of her own. I may not ever retire. I see myself working until I am physically unable to hold a job anymore, then hopefully some younger relatives will take me in.

In addition to all this, we live in an age where both cost of living and consumerism are at an all time high. I know lots of idiots who make $9 per hour who have $600 I-Phones, and spend $3000 putting subwoofers in their cars. All this makes for a pretty dim picture in the coming years.

People just need to learn not to live outside their means. I'll be the first to admit it is hard. But its just because there are things I "need" to have. I need the internet. I need netlix. I need my games and movies. I need my microwave. I need junkfood.

If we could learn to regulate our expenses better, we'd be better off. But it isn't setting us back too far. But some people, like my sister-in-law, will go to the mall and buy 500 bucks worth of clothes, or some other high dollar purchase, then need to borrow money from us or my wife's parents to pay her rent or make her car payment. Sometimes I know I'd be better off if I cut back on some of my wants. But I would never compromise my necessities to get those wants. Some people don't care until its time to pay the piper. Then they want people to feel sorry for them.

Blackout
PostPosted: Sep 12 2008 04:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
Avian wrote:
It seems to me that we are the first generation who's later years are going to be harder than our early years.

My parents and grandparents had things really rough in their youth, but the older they got, the more they accumulated wealth and things got easier. You know how they say......6 kids sharing a bedroom and all that stuff they like to rant about.

By contrast, I had a (relatively) easy childhood. My dad worked while my mom stayed home and raised us. But with the rising cost of everything, absense of social security and longer work hours becoming the norm, I think my adulthood and old age are going to suck. I don't see myself making enough money to support a wife and kids without my wife having a job of her own. I may not ever retire. I see myself working until I am physically unable to hold a job anymore, then hopefully some younger relatives will take me in.

In addition to all this, we live in an age where both cost of living and consumerism are at an all time high. I know lots of idiots who make $9 per hour who have $600 I-Phones, and spend $3000 putting subwoofers in their cars. All this makes for a pretty dim picture in the coming years.

People just need to learn not to live outside their means. I'll be the first to admit it is hard. But its just because there are things I "need" to have. I need the internet. I need netlix. I need my games and movies. I need my microwave. I need junkfood.

If we could learn to regulate our expenses better, we'd be better off. But it isn't setting us back too far. But some people, like my sister-in-law, will go to the mall and buy 500 bucks worth of clothes, or some other high dollar purchase, then need to borrow money from us or my wife's parents to pay her rent or make her car payment. Sometimes I know I'd be better off if I cut back on some of my wants. But I would never compromise my necessities to get those wants. Some people don't care until its time to pay the piper. Then they want people to feel sorry for them.

I had a room mate like that, each check thoroughly wasted on a large stereo, stacks of CDs and Movies, stupid looking clothes, and expensive booze and food. Soon as he spent it all by the third day, he start pawning it all to get pocket money. When he ran out of his own shit to pawn, he'd dig through my gigantic movie collection and sell large boxsets at the back I usually don't watch.

me *confused* "Where the heck is my Nightmare on Elm Street boxset? Where's season 8 through 10 of South Park? I coulda swore I had all 10 seasons of the Simpsons, where's season ten? Confused
him No idea man, weren't you planning to buy them soon?
me No, I distinctly remember watching them with you, you don't remember that whole weekend we sat and watched ever damn Freddy movie?
him No we didn't dude!

When I figured out what was going on I kicked him out and kept all his furniture, what an asshole. Mad

scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Sep 12 2008 04:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't like to see people in pain (physical, mental, etc), but people like that need bad things to happen to them. I had a friend that I would have been more than happy (well maybe not, but I would have still done it) to spot some cash if he needed it. But he would rather take it without me knowing about it instead.

I also have a friend that has owned several of the same systems (Wii, PS3, 360 as well as older ones) because he'll get it and buy a large stack of games he doesn't even play, then sells them for some extra cash, only to buy it all again a few months down the road. WTF!!!? Does he not realize that his Wii has probably cost him over a thousand bucks by now? If he would just keep it, and save money, he would be out of less money?

Blackout
PostPosted: Sep 12 2008 04:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
I don't like to see people in pain (physical, mental, etc), but people like that need bad things to happen to them. I had a friend that I would have been more than happy (well maybe not, but I would have still done it) to spot some cash if he needed it. But he would rather take it without me knowing about it instead.

I also have a friend that has owned several of the same systems (Wii, PS3, 360 as well as older ones) because he'll get it and buy a large stack of games he doesn't even play, then sells them for some extra cash, only to buy it all again a few months down the road. WTF!!!? Does he not realize that his Wii has probably cost him over a thousand bucks by now? If he would just keep it, and save money, he would be out of less money?

Well my former friend that acted in the manner you describe above has a drug problem so I can see why it was happening in retrospect. Not sure about you're friend, he might just be an idiot. (instead of a drug addicted idiot)
Not sure what kind of point I'm trying to make, so I'll just agree that yes, something awful needs to happen to these types of people. Nod

Ermac
Title: Thread Killer
PostPosted: Sep 15 2008 03:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
I was actually reading some stuff about this guy's book about what he called "Guyland," [Ermac] give it some googling and it should definately provide some answers.

I googled it and it was pretty interesting,nice to know their is a belief out there with the guys of our generation.

Reply to topic

Jump to: