SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
What age did gaming start to lose it's magic for you?

Reply to topic
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not buying many games anymore, cause I don't have the money, and one of my friends as a shitload of wii games he never plays, so I can just borrow from him.

Now I'm more screwing aroung on the net watching videos, reading stuff and downloading free stuff than playing on a console. My current obsession is those Touhou shooters, though I suck. I usually take the hardest mode and see if I can last more than 30 seconds.
Aqua Hedgehog
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 03:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe if those Communist fucks at Sega Of Japan would've let development of Sonic X-Treme continue, that would've turned things around for the better.
Fumanchu
Title: Floosie Acquirerer
PostPosted: Jan 29 2009 01:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say age 19-20, about 3 years ago when games stopped having great replayabitliy. I usually rent games now, whereas I was a hardcore buyer from before. I recently rented Fallout 3 and beat it once as a good guy, then restarted an evil character just to fuck over every mother-fucker that pissed me off, or made me do some stupid retrieval quest before they gave me the information I needed. Also to see the huge explosion in Atom. But after beating said game, I have no real desire to replay it. I spend 90% of my playing time on old systems playing games like Link to the Past, FF2 and FF3 and FFT. But as enjoyable as those games are, it's still disheartening to not discover new timeless gems to play.
The second reason is that I cheat consistently in games now, which reduces the fun, even though I know that will be the result from said cheating. When I was younger and all my friends were playing video games just as much as I was, it was a badge of respect to beat the water level of TMNT without dying. Now my friends are all getting married and getting fucked over by long term debts, and don't care how fast I can beat Bioshock. So when nobody cares what you're doing, or how you're doing it, I can't justify not putting in a cheat that gives me infinite gold. Sure I can grind useless monster for hours to gain the same amount. But when no one cares, what's the point?

Some see the glass as half full, others see the glass as half empty. I see the glass and say, "Are you gonna drink that?"

Undeath
Title: Facepuncher of Asses
PostPosted: Jan 29 2009 01:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Gaming still has it's magic for me, but it's dwindled quite a bit if only because I hit that age where I had to grow up, get a job, and eventually sacrifice my free time to the good ol' American Dream.

When you go to school for 8 hours, go to work for 8 hours, then come home to a wife and kid, you just don't have time to level grind or build up your magic spells and shit anymore.

I found that Game Genie/ Gameshark prolonged the inevitable. When you can build levels that way, you don't have to waste your time doing that and can actually experience the game.

Cracked.com wrote:
"MARGARINE IS ONE MOLECULE AWAY FROM PLASTIC."

Not only is that not right, that's not even wrong. It's a meaningless statement. Saying something is "one molecule away" from plastic is like saying a farm is one letter away from a fart. Water is "one molecule away" from being explosive hydrogen gas.

Ermac
Title: Thread Killer
PostPosted: Jan 29 2009 01:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fumanchu wrote:
When I was younger and all my friends were playing video games just as much as I was, it was a badge of respect to beat the water level of TMNT without dying. Now my friends are all getting married and getting fucked over by long term debts, and don't care how fast I can beat Bioshock. So when nobody cares what you're doing, or how you're doing it, I can't justify not putting in a cheat that gives me infinite gold. Sure I can grind useless monster for hours to gain the same amount. But when no one cares, what's the point?

agreed, it sucks when your all alone trying to relive past gaming glory
Necrosaro
PostPosted: Jan 30 2009 02:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

I havnet exactly lost that magic for gaming yet. Though it HAS changed. Where i could sit down and play a game all the way through, sometimes in a single sitting, now i get all "ADD" and switch between several games.

I still PLAY them at least an hour or 2 a day, but i rarely ever play through a game entirely before moving on to something else and coming back a week later.

For example, i still havent finished Disgaea 2 yet, and i had it the DAY it came out. And the original was one of my absolute favorite games ever. I still pick it up and grind my levels a bit, or beat a new map or two, but it just goes right back in its case in favor of something else for a few days.

Honestly i HATE that i lose interest in them so quickly, because some times it really interferes with things like remembering whats going on in a story.
Ermac
Title: Thread Killer
PostPosted: Jan 30 2009 03:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I moved into a new apartment on campus and someone left their red ringed XBOX360 Pro here so I am going to ship it back to Microsoft tommarrow.(its been like a month and they havent came back to get it) I got everything registered and a shipping label ready for it.

I think gaming sort of lost its magic because I was afraid of being one of those college kids who plays their 360's all day long and fail every class because of it. (It seems like the biggest loser move to bomb out of college because of a video game addiction).

I have a 3.5 GPA and realized that I could substitute my internet time for gaming time since I am so sick of Web 2.0(Digg,Youtube,etc.). Back in 2001 the net was still fresh, now its ruined by noobs and their counterculture of posting lolcat pictures(it was funny like in 2005,not anymore) and trying to be clever on digg(along with praising Obama,Linux and any stupid Green idea on there everyday.)

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classic™
PostPosted: Jan 30 2009 08:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This will probably contradict something that I already posted, but the recent trend of social-network gaming bugs me a bit. Sure, I find online multiplayer as fun as the next guy, but that's no reason for a game to have either a lackluster single player mode or none at all. Look at Gears of War. Great online, and great single player as well. Now look at Shadowrun. The online play is pretty fun, but there's no single player at all.

the_almighty_spehornoob
PostPosted: Jan 30 2009 09:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Char Aznable wrote:
This will probably contradict something that I already posted, but the recent trend of social-network gaming bugs me a bit. Sure, I find online multiplayer as fun as the next guy, but that's no reason for a game to have either a lackluster single player mode or none at all. Look at Gears of War. Great online, and great single player as well. Now look at Shadowrun. The online play is pretty fun, but there's no single player at all.

I'm concerned about this, as well as the fact that less games are coming out with split screen/local multiplayer.

But I still loves the games.
Char Aznable
PostPosted: Jan 30 2009 09:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, don't get me wrong, I still love games. Nothing is more fun than running around with your friends in a game, but sometimes I want to just play a single player story.

Mayor McFilthy
Title: Hamburger Tycoon
PostPosted: Jan 31 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Now look at Shadowrun. The online play is pretty fun, but there's no single player at all.

I'm actually kinda glad they didn't waste time with a single player mode. I find most of the single player campaigns to be gigantic snooze fests, not that they couldn't have included one.

I just wish the game didn't get ragged on as hard as it did. A brilliant shooter in my eyes and far more innovative than a lot of the FPS games we see.
Char Aznable
PostPosted: Feb 01 2009 01:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, but why the hell did they need the Shadowrun license for that? And then they squandered it by not giving it a story!

Greg the White
PostPosted: Feb 01 2009 04:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It kind of sucked when 2D died in the 90's so that my family wouldn't join in. I remember when I lived in Jersey, a huge storm came through (hurricane run-off if I remember right) when I was visiting my grandparents, so my father, grandfather, and I all devoted the entire day to getting as far as we could in Illusion of Gaia. My 75-year-old grandfather did the best out of all of us.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

tuddy
Title: can't defeat AirMan
PostPosted: Feb 01 2009 08:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lavalarva wrote:
My current obsession is those Touhou shooters, though I suck. I usually take the hardest mode and see if I can last more than 30 seconds.

I play the Touhou Project series a lot, too. My favorite is Phantasmagoria of Flower View (Touhou 9).

Anyway, as for when gaming "died" for me, it was pretty recently, when I realised the WW2/Space Marine FPS games that I find boring, unoriginal and un-enjoyable are here to stay, despite being pretty much the same game churned out every year or so.

I also lost some of my faith in humankind that day.
Char Aznable
PostPosted: Feb 01 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think the Grizzled Manly Man FPS genre just replaced the Samey Ripoff Platformer genre. Every generation has had one genre that was way too saturated.

Reply to topic

Jump to: