SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
How much pestering is too much when job hunting?

Reply to topic
Sock
Title: Master Fornicator
PostPosted: May 18 2006 06:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

STORY!

Pottery Barn needs stockers. I put in an application Wednesday (last Wednesday), went on a quick vacation last weekend (yay for musics! If you're in Cleveland check out 'Rusted Out' or 'K-Lo' if you get the chance). Got back, called them Monday, they said they'll call me Tuesday with an interview time. They didn't call. Wednesday I called them and they put me on hold for thirty minutes, then hung up. Clearly, this means war. A war that will end in my employment, hopefully. After they hung up, I called again, they told me the managers had left, hence why they were gone for 30 minutes. Looking for people that aren't there is futile! Or they're making some bullshit excuse. ANYWAY, they told me the managers would be in after 2 today, so I called! They said they're going over applications and they'll let me know.

So, I ask you forum members, should I stop by the store itself? Call? Wait idly by? Go in and start shooting?
Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: May 18 2006 07:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say go by. It doesn't hurt to bother the shit out of them until you annoy them into employing you.

Although, my best jobs, I've gotten about 1 month after an actual interview. Not because of them avoiding me, but because they were just not hiring at that time. So don't always fear a lag in the time between an interview and a call back.
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: May 19 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

I say no. I've never gotten a job by pestering. In fact, I think I've lost jobs for that very reason.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Murdar Machene
PostPosted: May 19 2006 04:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'll fight you for it.

Protip: Don't act desperate, just have other jobs lined up. Having your sights set on "that one job" can mean having to get another job in the mean time, or just forgetting about it altogether.
Sock
PostPosted: May 19 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I know Machene. But see, this is the only place within walking distance that's hiring right now. And when you don't have a car, having a place of employment you can walk too is nice.

I've turned in about 30~some applications, still haven't gotten a God damn job, it's getting bloody frustrating.
Murdar Machene
PostPosted: May 19 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My first job was technically Jack in the Box. I worked there for three days, on the fourth day I skipped my shift to go to an interview for a new job and quit that day. Hahaha. I never even cashed the check they gave me for 38 dollars, I figured I'd just hold on to it for posterity.

And call me Murdar for short duder Cool
Sock
PostPosted: May 19 2006 02:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This wouldn't be my first job. I worked at Wendy's when I was in high school. After I got out of high school I said 'balls to this', and took a year off from life to play hockey and get in shape. That turned into two years, one of those years was spent playing FFXI.

75Warrior, 65Paladin, 37Ninja, 37Monk, 37Thief don't mean anything on a resume, though.
Kurt
PostPosted: May 19 2006 02:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sock wrote:

75Warrior, 65Paladin, 37Ninja, 37Monk, 37Thief don't mean anything on a resume, though.

Wouldn't that be great? Eh, nevermind. Probably not. Almost every job on earth would be held by {insert stereotypical gamer here}.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: May 19 2006 02:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sock wrote:

Sure it does, just write it as "dedicated worker" Wink

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: May 20 2006 01:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

I understand the walking distance thing, but that seems like too much effort for Pot0tery Barn. The best jobs are the ones you don't need to apply for. This was my application process at the comic book store where I work:
co-owner: "Hey, [Jeebus], we're looking to hire someone that really knows Magic since the last guy that did it for us moved to New York a couple years ago, and you're our first choice. We'll pay you more than you're making now, and you can choose whatever hours you want, though we'd prefer if you could do at least a couple hours Wednesday since it's new comic day and Saturday cause it's the busiest Magic day during the school year...interested?"
me:"I need to change my boxers"

#edit: And remember, if it weren't for that job of mine, there'd be no Clarissa board game article, or my next article. (Yeah, I seriously will do one, I swear)

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Sock
PostPosted: May 20 2006 01:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Jeebus, you have no idea how badly I want something like that to happen to me. But until that does happen, I'll be stucking doing shit jobs I hate. Yeah, Pottery Barn sucks, but after over 30 applications, you don't give a shit so long as it isn't fast food.

I did have an oppurtunity like that once. I was 13, and in Michigan for the weekend. I stopped by the local mall, and headed to Babbages. Some customers were asking some really stupid questions about the PS2s backwards compatibility, confounding the manager, I piped up and answered all of them. After they left the manager asked me "How old are you?", I responded 13. She said if I were older she'd have hired me on the spot.

FUCK! Oh wells, 'til I get an oppurtunity like that again, drats.
Reply to topic

Jump to: