"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Ross Rifle's Debut Album!!!

Reply to topic
Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Aug 10 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, so I promise I'm not pulling a Chinese Democracy here. I get a mic on Wednesday, and then I'm going to just record mostly acoustic stuff until I buy an electronic drum kit on the first Friday of September. I don't have the space or parents for a real kit, but I was told it's way easier to record electronic drums (and consider you can plug 'em through your amp it's sounds true)...I definitely want this thing done by the end of '08, but we'll see how it goes. I got a new full-time job and school starts in September, so my recording chances will be reduced to one, maybe two days a week. Ah well, we'll see how it goes, just know that I haven't given up yet!

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Aug 10 2008 01:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross...

A) You can do this.
B) You must do this.
C) You will do this.

Life will always be there. It will always take your time. There will always be a job, an education, a girl, etc...

If you don't find the time to work on your passions, then you will regret it for the rest of your life.

I'm not saying drop everything else and just record. But once a week? You'll never finish.

Also, fuck you, I am still waiting for Chinese Democracy.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Aug 10 2008 01:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh this will be done. I'll have school four days a week, but three of those days I'll be home by 5:30, so I can get some time in there. I'll work til 2:30 or so on Fridays and Saturdays, and then I have all Sunday off, so I guess I do have more time than I thought.

And by Chinese Democracy I mean that this album won't take me two decades and a couple mil to complete.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Aug 10 2008 01:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

a couple mil?! didnt it take $30M or was it $50M to make chinese democracy?

but, once you do release your album, i will buy it homie. i like supporting the underground. hopefully i'll have a job by then lol

and chinese democracy better be the best album ever.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Aug 10 2008 01:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
a couple mil?! didnt it take $30M or was it $50M to make chinese democracy?

but, once you do release your album, i will buy it homie. i like supporting the underground. hopefully i'll have a job by then lol

and chinese democracy better be the best album ever.

I will also buy the album once it comes out. But I demand an autographed copy.

Also, Chinese Democracy really better be the BEST FUCKING ALBUM EVER!!! or else.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Aug 10 2008 01:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

$13m, as of '05. The album is done, but there's rumours that Geffen won't release it because it's impossible to profit on it, so they're trying to sell the rights or something. And yeah, autographed copies around lol.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Oct 17 2008 06:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

BUMP!!!

So I bought myself a drum kit today. Electronic, just so I can easily get drum tracks down. And I get a pre-amp next payday (Halloween) so I can start recording instrumentals, anything that doesn't need a mic.

The payday after that, I get a condenser mic. It's slow going, but it is definitely going! Cool

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Oct 17 2008 09:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ross_rifle113 wrote:
BUMP!!!

So I bought myself a drum kit today. Electronic, just so I can easily get drum tracks down. And I get a pre-amp next payday (Halloween) so I can start recording instrumentals, anything that doesn't need a mic.

The payday after that, I get a condenser mic. It's slow going, but it is definitely going! Cool

Hurry up. I want to hear it!

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Oct 17 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ditto. This is exciting...Smile

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Oct 19 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, so just to sound like it's some kinda high-end, professional album, I will officially enter the 'studio' to record demos on November 1st. I took the day off work (no fucking WAY am I going to bed at 9 on Halloween) and I don't work on the 2nd, so those two days will be solely dedicated to recording Cool

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Oct 20 2008 08:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

ross_rifle113 wrote:
Ok, so just to sound like it's some kinda high-end, professional album, I will officially enter the 'studio' to record demos on November 1st. I took the day off work (no fucking WAY am I going to bed at 9 on Halloween) and I don't work on the 2nd, so those two days will be solely dedicated to recording Cool

Buy lots of Cliff Bars, Vitamin Water and don't leave until its done.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Oct 20 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm gonna hit up 7-11 and Tim's early Saturday morning and go upstairs with strict orders to leave me the fuck alone and not to enter or even knock if they hear music playing.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Nov 01 2008 02:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alright guys, just gonna head to the Dollar Store to grab a USB cord for my Pre-amp, my friend/fellow musician/Audacity technician Mel is coming over in a while, and yeah...hopefully I'll have some instrumental demos by tomorrow night!!

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Nov 02 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

HUZZAH!!!! After a fuckload of struggling to get my preamp to work with Audacity, and the help of my cousin, Ryan, I finally got one demo done.

It's pretty shitty, but it's a start. It's more representative of my sound though. And I found out a fun thing: I have to by some pedals. as it turns out, all my effects (distortion, flange, etc.) are built into my amp. Unfortunately, my preamp is wired before my amp (duh), so anything my amp provides doesn't affect the recording.

So in conclusion, I fucked up the drums for the second and third choruses, and the guitar is clean when it should be distorted and sexy. And there's no bass or vocals. But it is a start!!!

Hopefully I'll have another demo or two done tomorrow!!! Tell me what you think!

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 02 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ross_rifle113 wrote:
HUZZAH!!!! After a fuckload of struggling to get my preamp to work with Audacity, and the help of my cousin, Ryan, I finally got one demo done.

It's pretty shitty, but it's a start. It's more representative of my sound though. And I found out a fun thing: I have to by some pedals. as it turns out, all my effects (distortion, flange, etc.) are built into my amp. Unfortunately, my preamp is wired before my amp (duh), so anything my amp provides doesn't affect the recording.

So in conclusion, I fucked up the drums for the second and third choruses, and the guitar is clean when it should be distorted and sexy. And there's no bass or vocals. But it is a start!!!

Hopefully I'll have another demo or two done tomorrow!!! Tell me what you think!

I assume that it is "Better" on the MySpace page (you need to tell us such things).

I definitely hear potential, but there are some WTF moments in there. I think it is because the guitar has zero effects on it. In many ways it sounds like you are trying to play an electric guitar song on an acoustic guitar.

I would love to hear the same thing with just the guitars being worked on.

Also, what would it sound like if you brought it up one full octave?

(I'm excited to see progress!)

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Nov 02 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
In many ways it sounds like you are trying to play an electric guitar song on an acoustic guitar.

Ahaha that's pretty much exactly what I'm doing. I figured out a proper set-up though...expect a redo of 'Better', perhaps a redo of 'Morning Song', and I'm shooting for 2 new songs, but I'll be happy with one. I just gotta finish breakfast, slap some paint on a project, shoot down to Future Shop and back, and walla-zam, I'll be rockin' all afternoon Cool

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Nov 02 2008 07:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok guys, a new version of 'Better' is up, and I am soooo happy with it! Tell me what you think!!

If you go to my page and it isn't there, just try again later.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Nov 02 2008 08:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I updated Morning Song too.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 03 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

ross_rifle113 wrote:
Ok guys, a new version of 'Better' is up, and I am soooo happy with it! Tell me what you think!!

If you go to my page and it isn't there, just try again later.

It is 1000% better with the distortion.

I'd love to hear it sped up. Drink a bunch of caffeine and rock that shit out double time!

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Nov 03 2008 01:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What does it remind you of GP? I've been trying to think of it, and my mind keeps floating around old Thin Lizzy/L.A. Guns/Hollywood Rose, but I'm not sure Confused

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 03 2008 01:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It has a deep sound like the beginning to Metallica's Orion.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Nov 05 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Man am I happy I didn't have a ride to school today!! I managed to record 'Sweet Suzie' and 'White Winged Angel' and I remixed 'Morning Song'! Check em out!!

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Nov 06 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The album opener, 'Off To The Races' is up. Half of my album is now up there. Though from the looks of it nobody's interested anymore...you better all still buy it! Evil

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 07 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ross, I had enough time to listen to a few of the songs this morning. I'll get to the rest of them soon.

I enjoyed the tunes and found that they are pretty unique. The originality of them made them a lot more fun to hear.

I have a bunch of constructive criticism, please realize that this is just my opinion, if you disagree I would love to hear what your thoughts are.

Morning Song:
The left/right channel thing needs to have a little better blending. Try to give 25% to both sides.
There is too much time without sound in the left ear.

White Winged Angel:
Piano? Where did that come from? I like it.
The intro is a little too long. About 30% too long. Very nice, but one could think the song won't ever become rock.
The right & left channel need to be blended more. Same as Morning Song. It is too distinct.
Increase the volume of the guitar.
Reduce the amount of distortion... maybe it is just the wrong effect.
Solo needs to be a little tighter.
The song really sounds like it needs a bass and second guitar. While soloing there is something missing.

Better:
It sounds like a guitar in the left channel and bass in the right. I think you need one more and split the soloing from the rhythm.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Nov 07 2008 06:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lol

I agree on Morning Song, I'm gonna rerecord the one guitar so it kinda hangs there, with a little feedback or something. And that mix has been killing me, either the lead is too loud or too quiet. Hopefully I'll get that sorted out when I record the final.

White-Winged Angel will sound a lot better and a lot less boring when I add lyrics. There's a whole verse and chorus in there before the drums kick in. And yeah, I gotta redo the guitar definitely. I like the sound, but getting it loud enough is definitely important, and that solo needs work, but is definitely on the way to my vision. And it does have bass lol. Maybe I'll just up that a bit and add a second guitar.

lol Better does have two guitars, and I actually don't like it as much.

I think, for most of these songs, it's all just a matter of tightening them up and getting the mix right. I'm going to record demos or the other 6 songs and listen to them as the album, then redo them accordingly.

I thank you very much for the comments Very Happy

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Reply to topic

Jump to: