"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Ross Rifle's Debut Album!!!

Reply to topic
Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Jun 15 2008 03:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So I broke up Chainsaw Symphony. Three years of doing jack finally got to me. So I broke up the band, collected together a bunch of completed songs, and I plan on releasing an 11 track album by the end of summer.

It's going to be called 'Flashpoint' and everything (except for some backing vocals) will be done by me. The tracklist is as follows:

1. Off To The Races
2. Theme
3. Air
4. Better
5. Clockworks
6. Sweet Suzie
7. White-Winged Angel
8. Crimson
9. Summer Rain
10. Crocodile Rock
11. Morning Song

Here's a link to my MySpace where I posted a demo and you guys can track the progress of the album. I'd love to hear your comments on my demo of 'Air' I got up. It's kinda shitty and I recorded it on a digital camera, but it's there.

http://www.myspace.com/rossrifle

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jun 15 2008 04:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll have to check it out Cool
Done any work on protools or cool edit pro, or are you doin it old school?

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jun 15 2008 04:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

right now it's old school, but I'm gonna get hooked up with some programs so I can add drums and shit. No copy/paste stuff though, it'll all be me.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Jun 15 2008 05:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, your guitar playing is great. I am surprised it sounded so good even though it was record on a digital camera. However, you need to work on your vocals. It might be the quality of the song, but I heard pitch problems and overall the singing just felt weak. In short, great guitar playing, work on your singing. I look forward to hearing the rest of your album.
Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jun 15 2008 06:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, I am quite aware of my vocal issues lol. I'm working with a genetically weak palette lol. Part of the problem could've been that I was sitting down, but either way, I shall definitely be practicing. Vocals are like the last thing recorded, so I got lots of time.

I'm going to try and get some other bits an pieces on the mySpace, particularly some of my electric stuff. And I'll update this thread as production goes on, and I'll make sure to keep it kinda regular so I'm not super bumping lol.

But I'd love to hear what everyone thinks! Constructive criticism is definitely appreciated!

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Captain_Pollution
Title: Hugh
PostPosted: Jun 15 2008 07:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ywah, quite cool. I'd definately like to hear moe. You're voice isn't bad it's just not metal, kind of like a Daniel Johnston type thing. So far I probably prefer you're voice to his actually as I haven't heard you do one of those 10-second long voice crack things he does sometimes, they suck. Yeah, prettty cool though, when can we expect more?

<Drew_Linky> Well, I've eaten vegetables all of once in my life.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jun 16 2008 01:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

I will hopefully acquire a condenser mic by the end of the month and then I can get right down to the real work. Until then, I'll try posting some more acoustic stuff and some instrumental electric, probably in the next few days.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jun 17 2008 05:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I replaced 'Air' with a better version, though it's pretty crackly. I also uploaded a demo of the album's final instrumental piece, 'Morning Song'. Check 'em out. http://www.myspace.com/rossrifle

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

JStrangiato
Title: El Hombre Strangiato
PostPosted: Jun 19 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Very good from what I've heard. As for the recording quality issues, have you heard of Audacity? Its a program that lets you record, track, and edit your own music. All you have to do is get your computer microphone set up, press record, and you can lay out different tracks for guitar, bass, drums, vocals, etc. I've found its very useful when you have to record stuff without bandmates. My only complaint is that distorted guitar comes out sort trebly, but its still listenable. Anyway, check it out. I think it would greatly improve your sound quality. As for the songs itself, they are good. Let me know when you have a physical demo out, I'll buy it from you, and if by some miracle I wind up in Canada, I'd love to check out a show when you play one. Keep fightin' the good fight.
Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

My music/humor blog (R.I.P.): http://lavidastrangiato.blogspot.com/
Chondra "Mrs. Claudio" Sanchez on Enshin a.k.a. Jake Strangiato wrote:
I really like this person.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jun 19 2008 01:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks man! Yeah, I'm getting a tutorial on condeser mics and Sony ACID tomorrow. I think Audacity might be on the itinerary too. I'll hopefully have the album done by the end of summer. There is a good chance that I'll have the actual recording/mixing done maybe by the end of July though, which leaves me lots of time to work on liner notes and such...but yeah, I'll let ya know!

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: Jun 19 2008 02:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

They're both easy as hell to use.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jun 19 2008 02:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

alright, good to know!

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jun 19 2008 02:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, you guys will all be proud to know that I used the album as a way to impress a girl Cool

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Mitch
PostPosted: Jun 19 2008 02:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

RR: I'm putting the finishing touches on my own studio album
Girl: OH! Let me take my clothes off!
Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jun 19 2008 02:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

You know it Cool

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jun 19 2008 03:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well done, sir.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Slight snag in production:

My buddy that was supposed to give me a condenser mic of course crapped out on me. So I have to buy my own. of course Chilliwack is a shit hole and I can't get one here. So I'll have to wait until after I get my license on the 17th.

There's also a new music store/school in town, so I'm going to record live drums in one of their sound proof rooms. Whoo.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 04:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross,

I think it is great that you are doing this.

I have a few suggestions and I hope you don't mind my opinionated constructive criticism:

1) You need to sing with your real voice and you need to sing louder. This has nothing to do with the camera, you need to believe what you are singing and get it out. It feels like you are holding back to try and hit notes. It is definitely important to maintain your pitch, but not at the expense of the energy that the song needs to sound good.

2) Practice will fix the pitch issues in your voice. It sounds like you don't have much wind in there, time to work on that.

3) Focus on your palm muting when necessary to clean up the sound a little.

4) At some point it needs a more technical... almost soloish type piece. Something to let you know that the song has moved a bit. Think this way, if you are driving down a road with no landmarks, you would have a hard time knowing how far you had gone. The same goes for the song. You need to have landmarks in the song so that you and the listener are always looking forward to something or at least surprised/impressed by something.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 09:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

there's an instrumental space in there before the last chorus which will feature a solo. If you're talking about the instrumental, then I'll work on that, and it'll also have some snare drum in it.

I've been working on my voice since those recordings and I'm starting to get results. I definitely was holding back because I'm just in my bedroom and my family likes to mock my singing, so it's a little nerve wracking.

And constructive criticism is part of the reason I made this thread, so thanks for the input GP!

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 09:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ross_rifle113 wrote:
there's an instrumental space in there before the last chorus which will feature a solo. If you're talking about the instrumental, then I'll work on that, and it'll also have some snare drum in it.
I look forward to hearing future revisions with the added tracks.

ross_rifle113 wrote:
I've been working on my voice since those recordings and I'm starting to get results. I definitely was holding back because I'm just in my bedroom and my family likes to mock my singing, so it's a little nerve wracking.
Ross, it is a choice. You need to decide if this is what you want to do. If it is, then take it into the main rooms and sing loud and clear. Make your family listen and tell them that this is what you want to do and that you won't feel akward about it anymore. Even if you suck, they will understand at that point that making fun of your singing isn't an option. If that won't work then you need to build an igloo and go and sing your fucking face off in it.

ross_rifle113 wrote:
And constructive criticism is part of the reason I made this thread, so thanks for the input GP!
Any time. Keep us up to date with your progress.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 09:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it's been a struggle but I think my folks have recently accepted the fact that music is my thing. The vocal part is a new addition though lol. Ah well, they will come around eventually.

Yeah, these songs sound way better in my head with all the added parts lol

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jul 03 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

GP, big thank you!

After I logged off the internet last night, I started playing some of my stuff and some other tunes and it hit. I sang and I didn't hear Axl Rose doing 'Patience', I didn't hear Baz singing 'I Remember You', I heard Ross Rifle.

I found my voice. Thank you.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Tsunami Red
Title: Maniacal Tactician
PostPosted: Jul 09 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

ross_rifle113 wrote:
By the way, you guys will all be proud to know that I used the album as a way to impress a girl Cool

If that happens, I'll be the first to shower you with congratulations.

No one's noticed my album yet.... Crying

"So I say live and let live. That's my motto. Live and let live. Anyone who can't go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker. It's a simple philosophy, but it's always worked in our family." - George Carlin

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 09 2008 08:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

ross_rifle113 wrote:
GP, big thank you!

After I logged off the internet last night, I started playing some of my stuff and some other tunes and it hit. I sang and I didn't hear Axl Rose doing 'Patience', I didn't hear Baz singing 'I Remember You', I heard Ross Rifle.

I found my voice. Thank you.

This is what I like to hear. When you are ready and you can upload a track with you singing with your voice, I would love to hear it.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Jul 09 2008 05:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, there's been shit going on lately and the album won't be done by the end of the summer, but it will be done in a few months. As soon as I get the mic and download ACID I'll throw some real demos up

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Reply to topic

Jump to: