SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
You fucking snubbed Monster Party

Reply to topic
Richo Rosai
PostPosted: May 27 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's like the best game ever to feature eggplants.

Oh, and the reason for all the eggplants in games made in Japland is that Jappos like cutesy things like personified foodstuffs, and eggplants are a more common vegetable there than in the US.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 27 2008 08:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

There aren't any eggplants in Monster Party. The potted plant in the first level is just supposed to be a generic carnivorous plant. It's nose, shades, and gigantic chin are most likely supposed to be a parody of Mac Tonite, the singing McDonald's mascot from the 80s.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Richo Rosai
PostPosted: May 27 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was sure it was an eggplant on a vine, and a few sites (+"monster party" +eggplant) seem to agree. And would Bandai really have been familiar with Mac Tonite? (googling Japanese sites for references to him turns up nothing). But oh well, as long as it wasn't malicious snubbing.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 27 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

I love Monster Party! I wrote a whole article on it: http://www.sydlexia.com/monsterparty.htm

Also, it's important to note that Bandai did not develop the game. The game was developed by Shinsei and Bandai was tasked with toning the game down to conform to Nintendo of America's strict gaming requirements. The original game, which was never released, was much bloodier: http://dbz.icequake.net/share/afs/pub/emu/nesnew/64.53.95.207/ujap/mp/mp.html

As you can also see, the man-eating plant was drastically altered from its original design, where it looked almost exactly like a Pirahna Plant and was intended as an homage to Little Shop of Horrors. Why the change? No one knows. There's nothing even remotely offensive or violent about the original design. But Bandai was tasked with Americanizing the game, as apparently someone felt it was necessary to alter the design. It's also unclear where the porting was done. Bandai has American offices and produced many crappy toys based on American properties in the 80s and early 90s. As for the Japanese not knowing who Mac Tonite is, especially in 1989, that's unlikely. The Japanese love mascots and they're rather obsessed with American culture.

I do concede that it very well could be an eggplant, but there's no way to know and it doesn't really make any sense, especially given the original design. Turning an evil singing plant into an eggplant would be dumb, whereas turning it into a bizarre homage to an obnoxious singing McDonald's mascot would be less dumb. The fact that results come up when you Google "eggplant" + "monster party" doesn't actually prove anything, except that people think it looks like an eggplant.

The real problem here is that 8-bit sprites lack the detail necessary to give us a definitive answer as to what it's supposed to be. On top of that, many of the sprites in Monster Party are suprising undetailed. The whole point of having giant bosses in games was that it allowed programmers to add additional detail that would have otherwise been impossible given the hardware limitations. Unless someone tracks down one of the Bandai team members who worked on the conversion, we'll never know their intentions. I choose to believe my explanation because it makes more sense.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Richo Rosai
PostPosted: May 27 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it's a great game. I remember being stuck with all the 19.99 games because we couldn't afford the AAA titles, and MP was one time I lucked out (Bayou Billy not so much).

Anyway, I didn't mean the search results proved anything, just that I wasn't alone.

But I should have actually checked the game rather than just going by my memory and google, because after doing so it's definitely not an eggplant.

It's clearly a pitcher plant! It seems to have two frames of animation, in one of which I think you are saying you see something like "shades". But if you compare it with the other frame, you should be able to see that the black area is actually showing that the lid is open, with the white lines being the slime or mucous or whatever, and the other frame shows the lid shut!
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 27 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, good call.
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: May 27 2008 02:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The pitcher plant is the provincial flower of Newfoundland and Labrador.

______--------*
The more you know.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Reply to topic

Jump to: